Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Expect On My First Lap Band Fill

I am 3 weeks babded and have my first fill on the 18th of November, what can I expect at the doctors office, after the fill, how will I feel after my first fill?

I am a little nerveous because I am reading stories that people do not feel any difference and are eating more then before they were filled. I guess I am hoping for some sucess stories and any sugestions so that I can suceed at losing weight.

It's a simple procedure and you may not notice a thing. Restriction for some doesn't come for a few fills. Everyone seems different.

I'm one of the fortunate ones that haven't had a fill and still have little hunger. You may be too.

Its very simple, my doctor feels for my port (which takes him about 8 sec to find) he then takes a small needle and numbs the area ( on a scale from 1-10 the pain from that is a 2, just a slight pinch) he then decides how much saline to fill into the syringe and feels again for my port and places the needle inside (30 sec) it takes about 5-10 sec for him to put all the saline in, and its completely painless, you cant feel it going in, it may be a little uncomfortable when he pokes around inside of you for the port, but it wont be painful. afterwards theyll have you sit up and drink a cup of Water to see how well it goes down and theyll determine if they need to remove any solution..., then you get to go home ;-) and of course this is all assuming that your first fill wont be under a fluro.

I had my first fill yesterday afternoon. It did take a bit longer than norm to find my port because it was facing down slightly. I would say it was more uncomfortable than painful. My PA says this happens but not the norm. She also told me that I may not feel any of the effects for about 2 weeks. Apparently there is not anything to back up the reason for the 2 weeks other than that is what many patients have experienced.

Most of the visit was spent talking and the fill was just a few minutes including the extra searching she had to do. The PA I work with is great about answering questions and just sharing info. I usually have my mental list of questions before I go in and she does not rush through the visit at all. Most importantly she stresses that this is my personal experience with the band and that getting info from others experience is helpful but to listen to my own body.

As far as how I felt after the fill. Last night I ate lentils and had some Water later in the evening. That all felt normal. I am having my first cup of coffee now and with ever drink I pause to make sure I don’t feel any different. (My personal worries setting in) - it all seems fine. I will eat soft food today and back to my new normal eating habits tomorrow.

I seems like we are very close in the process, feel free to friend request me if you like.

Good luck

I am 3 weeks babded and have my first fill on the 18th of November, what can I expect at the doctors office, after the fill, how will I feel after my first fill?

I am a little nerveous because I am reading stories that people do not feel any difference and are eating more then before they were filled. I guess I am hoping for some sucess stories and any sugestions so that I can suceed at losing weight.

I see you have already lost 30 lbs. You may not need/get a fill.

First thing they will do is weigh you, then compare that to the last time you were weighed to see how your progress is doing. They will also

divide that number by the # of weeks to determine your weight loss per week.

They will also ask you questions concerning any pain, discomfort, trouble swallowing, vomiting, etc.

How much food do you, or can you eat at a sitting.

If you are making good process, then there would be no reason for a fill.

I have not had a fill since May, after receiving three in a row, 1 month apart.

I see you have already lost 30 lbs. You may not need/get a fill.

First thing they will do is weigh you, then compare that to the last time you were weighed to see how your progress is doing. They will also

divide that number by the # of weeks to determine your weight loss per week.

They will also ask you questions concerning any pain, discomfort, trouble swallowing, vomiting, etc.

How much food do you, or can you eat at a sitting.

If you are making good process, then there would be no reason for a fill.

I have not had a fill since May, after receiving three in a row, 1 month apart.

I am thinking I might need a fill, I am starting to eat more and have not lost any weight since middle of last week. I am not gaining which is good but I am not losing either. I did try to eat a small meal yesterday and ended up throwing it up because it got stuck, but that could have also been because I think I ate it too fast. (My inner fat girl was comming out and wanted the food fast). I appriciate all the advice as I was nervous with all the stories I have read.

Thanks for your advice!

I had my first fill yesterday afternoon. It did take a bit longer than norm to find my port because it was facing down slightly. I would say it was more uncomfortable than painful. My PA says this happens but not the norm. She also told me that I may not feel any of the effects for about 2 weeks. Apparently there is not anything to back up the reason for the 2 weeks other than that is what many patients have experienced.

Most of the visit was spent talking and the fill was just a few minutes including the extra searching she had to do. The PA I work with is great about answering questions and just sharing info. I usually have my mental list of questions before I go in and she does not rush through the visit at all. Most importantly she stresses that this is my personal experience with the band and that getting info from others experience is helpful but to listen to my own body.

As far as how I felt after the fill. Last night I ate lentils and had some Water later in the evening. That all felt normal. I am having my first cup of coffee now and with ever drink I pause to make sure I don't feel any different. (My personal worries setting in) - it all seems fine. I will eat soft food today and back to my new normal eating habits tomorrow.

I seems like we are very close in the process, feel free to friend request me if you like.

Good luck

Thanks for the details, I am a little nervous and your post really help calm my nerves.

I am thinking I might need a fill, I am starting to eat more and have not lost any weight since middle of last week. I am not gaining which is good but I am not losing either. I did try to eat a small meal yesterday and ended up throwing it up because it got stuck, but that could have also been because I think I ate it too fast. (My inner fat girl was comming out and wanted the food fast). I appriciate all the advice as I was nervous with all the stories I have read.

Thanks for your advice!

That's part of the learning process. They say you should put the fork down between bites, and wait after swallowing.

I find this is happening quite naturally with most foods.

Too much and too fast is a hazard with the band. Also drinking while eating.

Ok so I got banded last friday, 5 days ago and go to my first post op visit tomorrow where I'm going to ask about getting my first fill. My question to you all is "is it usual to need a fill this soon after surgery where I got 2 cc's put in"? I'm hungry sooner than before & am starting to feel starved. Does thismean its time for a fill? I wasn't feeling that before.

Ok so I got banded last friday, 5 days ago and go to my first post op visit tomorrow where I'm going to ask about getting my first fill. My question to you all is "is it usual to need a fill this soon after surgery where I got 2 cc's put in"? I'm hungry sooner than before & am starting to feel starved. Does thismean its time for a fill? I wasn't feeling that before.

You are still healing so you shoud probably hold off on the fill. From what I read on here the time between surgery and the first fill is pretty tough. Hang in there and just keep following the plan. Don't be surprised if you don't lose any weight for a while. Just keep faith in the process. :)

My first visit was exactly 7 days after surgery. Had nothing to do with getting a fill. Dr. just wanted to check the incisions, at which time I was told no need for bandages anymore.

Was released to take baths, etc.

Was released to start exercising.

Reviewed where I should be as far as my post-op diet, including what I should eat for the next 2 stages. Was told to move on to mushies for the next week, then onto solids.

Made an appointment to come back in 3 weeks, (4 weeks after surgery) at which time I received my first fill.

This was also a time where he answered ANY questions I may have had.

Got my first fill yesterday exactly a month postop ! For me it didn't hurt a bit no discomfort way so ever felt just like a lil pinch . I was in an out in less than 5 minutes. Per my doctor I don't see him again until 4 to 6 weeks .all he recommended was to get into the exercise habit since I have been slacking in that department but I can happily report a total weightless of 27 lbs the 1st month and I am more than trilled with that!

thank you all for your responses. It reallys helps because I learn through all of you. I had my post op yesterday but did not get a fill. Instead he scheduled my first fill on dec. 3rd which is exactly 1 month post op. The problem is I got so hungry yesterday cooking for my family that I actually chewed some steak, sucked the juice and gave the chewed meat to the dogs! When I saw that didn't cause me pain or discomfort I chewed on a little bit of rice and swallowed. I did this one time & then felt real guilty and got very mad at myself for doing it. I actually gained 1 lb back!! have no will power. How bad was what I did?? I'm eating lots of sugar-free popsicles & fudgsicles cuz I'm so tired of the Jello, pudding & juice thing & the slim fast is NOT satisfying at all. What else can I do??? PLEASE HELP I can't fail

Hi there,

Slim Fast does not have very much Protein in it to keep you full. I drink the Premier Nutrition shakes from Sams club. They have 30grams of Protein and 160 calories.

Just a thought

Good Luck :D ---Michelle

thank you all for your responses. It reallys helps because I learn through all of you. I had my post op yesterday but did not get a fill. Instead he scheduled my first fill on dec. 3rd which is exactly 1 month post op. The problem is I got so hungry yesterday cooking for my family that I actually chewed some steak, sucked the juice and gave the chewed meat to the dogs! When I saw that didn't cause me pain or discomfort I chewed on a little bit of rice and swallowed. I did this one time & then felt real guilty and got very mad at myself for doing it. I actually gained 1 lb back!! have no will power. How bad was what I did?? I'm eating lots of sugar-free popsicles & fudgsicles cuz I'm so tired of the Jello, pudding & juice thing & the slim fast is NOT satisfying at all. What else can I do??? PLEASE HELP I can't fail

I had my first fill yesterday and it did not hurt at all. I have only had liquids but about to eat a small dinner and we will see If there is any restriction. Hoping so because my weight loss has all but stopped.