Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Tight? Has Lap Band Slipped? Help!

HI all

Had my band fitted 18 monthsd ago in Belgium. Found out 2 weeks after that we were pregnant. All fine.

11 months later I had my first fill. It was a travelling band fill (in the UK) provider/nurse who came to my house and did it. No restriction. Had another fill 2 weeks later (£250 in total). No restriction.

Booked for another fill - this time we checked the Fluid levels. Found it had leaked. Turns out fill provider had punctured right through the tubing on the first fill. She booked me in to see her own surgeon for a repair. Went back to Belgium in June. At a cost of around £400.

A week later the port site got infected and I spent a week as an emergency patient in hospital. Managed to keep my port - they wanted to remove it.

So now, a few months on, I am still struggling - I was very very sick with pancreatitis, now have gastritis which is really painful for the past 3-4 months. I can't see my GP about this because the NHS won't treat me, because I went abroad for my surgery.

I am very very tight in the day, anything thicker than Soup gets stuck and I'm sick. Then by the evening I am slightly looser, can manage to eat some food though. Fluids are not a problem. I can't decde if I think it's slipped or not.

Sometimes I can a full meal and sometimes I struggle like mad. I tryo to stay around 1200-1500 cals per day. I was working out for 2 hrs a day but my baby is really active now and I'm constantly chasing him around. And I start back to work in 3 weeks (I'm a lab scientist).

It seems that I am becoming more restricted as time goes on..a reversal if what one would expect. I'm getting tighter over the weeks, not looser.

So I'm £650 out of pocket (as well as 4k for the band in the first place), and what a surprise I haven't heard from the fill nurse since I was in hospital in July. The surgeon in Belgium hasn't contacted me either since picking up a surgical site infection in his side room (I wasnt taken into a proper cleanroom theare when he did my port repair).

It's all a bloody sham and I am not losing weight any more. I can barely eat, and I'm constant pain and getting no where. So far I have lost 43lbs and seem to be stuck at that - bouncing around a few lbs either side for months. Yet I can barely keep any food down. I am not eating bad slider foods, I eat Soups, potatoes, veggies, plenty of fish- very little crap food. Very little junk.

What the hell do I do? I can't see the GP, and I can't go private again it's just too damn expensive.

I just dont know what's going on any more with this band. I need help

wow, i am really feeling for you right now. i don't know what to tell you. wish i could. i am tight in the mornings, can't eat food, have Protein Shakes, but by mid afternoon, i am looser and can eat food. are you vomiting alot or just sometimes? if you have a slip, i would think you could not keep anything down at all and would be having reflux like crazy. i am wondering if you are swollen and too tight. have you tried just warm liquids for a couple of days? i hope things get better for you soon.

It's definitely been a tough journey for you. I think you really need to see a medical professional. I don't know the healthcare system in the UK, but you won't get the medical care and treatment that you need on these forums, only emotional understanding and support. For your own sake, and for your little one's sake, see a doctor.

Hi

Just wondering who your surgeon was ? I had a band in Belgium in April 2010 . I'm doing ok had s few problems but nothing to do with the surgeon . Iv had really good communication with the Surgeon & pay £ 90 for my fills in Manchester by the same aftercare team .

Morning all, thanks for your replies.

Yes I understand I wont get medical advice here, I'm only really after other peoples experiences and best guesses. I can't get treatment on the NHS because I didnt qualify with my PCT for WLS and therefore anything to do with the band is not covered. Unless it is a life threatening emergency, they made that quite clear when they discharged me from the hospital after my infection had calmed down.

My initial surgery was with Dr Chris De Bruyne. And my tube repair was with Dr Dilleman. That's where I got my infection :( I have had some communicaiton from my orignal surgeon but only to tell me how much it will be to see him. And there's been known from the 2nd surgeon. And the nurse who punctured my tube hasnt contacted me either.

So I have 4ml in a 10 ml band, I cant get any defills because I have to go private, and they told me I had to have qan xray check at a cost of £350 before they fill take on my care. So a lot of it comes down to money and no one wanting to take responsibility for their f**k ups.

If anyone wants to use a travelling nurse for fills...don't bother.

I have started the 5 day pounch test today, to try and ease the pain a bit and see if I can start over with it.

xx