Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Makes You Get A Lap Band Fill?

I thought I knew what to expect with the band well before I actually got it, and now i am totally confused about something that I am hoping you all can help me with. I am scheduled to have my first fill on Fri, but I dont know if it is the right time. I eat around 800 calories a day, 60-80 grams of Protein, and low carbs and I am not really hungry between meals, but I am not losing. I did lose 5 lbs right after surgery and then didnt for the last 2 weeks. I know the postop time is about healing and not weight loss so I am not too focused on that. I do wonder though, if I am only eating 800- maybe 1000 calories if I really push hard and I am not hungry between meals, how will a fill help me? Should I just wait until I can excercise more and see what happens or should I go ahead and get a fill? Should i try to get more calories so that my body isnt doing the starvation mode thing?( I did lose very well in the preop diet time because I did south beach and I havent really changed much since surgery but am not losing like that anymore,,, am I doing something wrong?) Please understand I am NOT complaining about not losing weight right now, simply that I dont know if I need a fill yet w/ my calorie intake being pretty low, but I know that the loss of 1-2 lbs per week is one of the clues as to if you need a fill or not.

I'm not getting hungry either, but I'm not eating much and losing about 2-3 lbs a week. I haven't had a fill, but I keep my

appointments with my surgeon just to make myself feel better. The fact that you're not losing weight is a problem, some

people are excusing that by saying a person is in starvation mode, but if you're not losing muscle, you must be finding calories

somewhere. Try keeping a diary, and put down every food item you put in your mouth. That helps some folks.

Some time you'll lose and gain in spurts, I have an article explaining it, but mainly i'ts just glycogen coming and going.

Good luck and I hope you get back to your weight loss.

i LOST ONLY 4 POUNDS IN THE FIRST MONTH POST OP EATING ABOUT 700 CAL A DAY. I WAS SO DISCOURAGED AND THEN ABOUT 8 WEEKS POST OP, WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING, THE WEIGHT STARTED FALLING OFF!!! IT SEEMS LIKE YOUR BODY FINALLY GETS ADJUSTED AND IS WILLING TO LET GO OF THE WEIGHT. I HEAR A LOT ABOUT STARVATION MODE ON THIS FORUM. I BELIEVE I DID THIS TO MY BODY FOR YEARS AND YEARS. MY UNDERSTANDING FROM MY SURGEON AND OTHER SOURCES IS THAT "STARVATION MODE" DOES NOT APPLY TO BANDED PEOPLE. I HOE I CAN EXPLAIN THIS HALF WAY INTELLIGENTLY. HERE GOES. WITH THE POUCH YOUR HYPOTHALAMUS IS STIMULATED WHEN YOU EAT THUS SENDING A MESSAGE TO YOUR BRAIN THAT YOU ARE FULL WITH HAVING EATEN VERY LITTLE. SINCE YOUR BRAIN DOESN'T HAVE EYES IT IS FOOLED INTO THINKING YOU'VE HAD MUCH MORE TO EAT THAN YOU HAVE. THUS YOUR BRAIN DOES NOT BELIEVE YOU ARE STARVING. THIS WEBSITE (http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html) HAS BEEN QUOTED MANY TIMES ON THIS FORUM RELATING TO WHAT RESTRICTION IS. ITS A GREAT RESOURCE - MY SURGEON ACTUALLY MADE A COPY OF MY PRINT OUT TO SHARE WITH HIS PATIENTS. Take it or leave it, but it makes sense to me.:) Good luck to all on this great life changing journey!!

If you're not hungry between meals, there is no need to get a fil. A fill will not make you lose weight (though you may lose some just due to liquids after). (I see you were banded Oct. 13. It is normal not to really lose weight the first six weeks. So go to your appointment, just for a weigh in/check up, but you should not get a fill.

I agree-if you are not hungry between meals do not getthe fill. Some people do not need a fill for quite a long time and some never need a fill. Talk to your doctor about it and make a decision. I was getting fills and eating less and really didn't start losing weight until 2-3 months post op. Then it came off in spurts, everyone is different. Good luck to you!

Thanks guys. That makes me feel better. corrigan.... I do use myfitnesspal.com and keep track of everything... it really is 800 calories unless I force higher calorie things. I think I will do the check up and give it another few weeks and see how things go once I can exercise more.

I am only about 3 weeks post-op. I think once we heal and are able to exercise more the weight will start to come off. Also dont decide about a fill right now. See how you feel once your body is all the way healed

I am only about 3 weeks post-op. I think once we heal and are able to exercise more the weight will start to come off. Also dont decide about a fill right now. See how you feel once your body is all the way healed

The question was because my first fill is scheduled already for this Fri and that is only 4 weeks and 1 day postop for me. I am going to try to start adding in some more excercise this week, but still take it easy until I am cleared to do more.

My suggestion would be to follow whatever recommendations your doctor or nurse practitioner makes.

I suggest you keep a food diary and let the experts decide if you need a fill. I had about 50 lbs to lose and steadily lost 1-3 lbs per month. some months only 1 lb and one month I gained. I started tracking my food in myfitnesspal.com to ensure I was getting enough Protein. I did stall and it was suggested I measure my food to 3/4 c per meal. I learned I was overeating. The details are on my blog. I also walk 30 min most days and this helps. Good luck.

Geri

www.weightlosssurgeryguru.com

I thought I knew what to expect with the band well before I actually got it, and now i am totally confused about something that I am hoping you all can help me with. I am scheduled to have my first fill on Fri, but I dont know if it is the right time. I eat around 800 calories a day, 60-80 grams of Protein, and low carbs and I am not really hungry between meals, but I am not losing. I did lose 5 lbs right after surgery and then didnt for the last 2 weeks. I know the postop time is about healing and not weight loss so I am not too focused on that. I do wonder though, if I am only eating 800- maybe 1000 calories if I really push hard and I am not hungry between meals, how will a fill help me? Should I just wait until I can excercise more and see what happens or should I go ahead and get a fill? Should i try to get more calories so that my body isnt doing the starvation mode thing?( I did lose very well in the preop diet time because I did south beach and I havent really changed much since surgery but am not losing like that anymore,,, am I doing something wrong?) Please understand I am NOT complaining about not losing weight right now, simply that I dont know if I need a fill yet w/ my calorie intake being pretty low, but I know that the loss of 1-2 lbs per week is one of the clues as to if you need a fill or not.

wow 800-1,000 calories is pretty gracious. How much of those calories are sugar & Carbs? All the info suggests that fills are needed when your not in the green zone, meaning able to eat whatever you want, more than 4oz of low calorie/sugar-free foods, snack often in between meals & have no Portion Control or eat more than 3 meals per day. Definitely speak to your physician BEFORE hr fills you & let him know you feel good although you haven't lost any weight. This may prompt him to rethink the fill & go more in depth with you about what your eating. Nonetheless, I wish you lots of success.