Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Insights 3-1/2 weeks post-surgery....your thoughts?

I was banded on October 11th and am going in for my first fill on November 8th. After a rough first couple of weeks, I am feeling great and doing well with my eating. I don't weigh myself at home so I am eager to see what the scale says next week. So far, however, I have learned a couple of very important things about myself and my eating habits:

1) I have probably eaten WAY TOO FAST for years. I know this because I just can't do it with the band and I've noticed my meals take longer now.

2) I have probably not chewed my food adequately, because now that I have the band it will not go down easily unless I chew and re-chew my food. I find my self attempting to swallow way too soon, which causes discomfort - my old way of chewing just doesn't work now!

3) Having second or third helpings was a reflex! When I finish my dinner now, it feels WEIRD to not go for another helping of something, even though I'm not evn hungry. It had become second-nature.

For me, these are great insights, and every day I am more and more aware.

Please feel free to comment and share your own insights!

First of all, congratulations on your band! It's an amazing journey and all of these little things will appear in your life, and you will wonder why/how you ever managed before! This is just the beginning!:lol:

I can totally relate to number 1. above. Before the band, I was a vacuum. I would literally sit down with a plate full of food and then a couple of minutes later not even remember eating it. I didn't chew at all....and I would be hungry again by the time I put my fork down.

Now, it takes me at least 30 minutes to eat a meal and i chew every single bite. I realized that with the band, not only am I forced to chew things, but I am forced to taste them as well. When I started eating real food again (after all the liquids and the mushies) i tried to eat some of my former favorite foods. i discovered that by having to really chew them and taste them, I didn't really love the taste of some things any more. My favorite hamburger joint burgers now taste like greese and gristle. yuck!:blink:

I remember eating my first chicken cordon bleu post surgery and not remembering that ham taste inside of it. before, I would just take a bite, maybe chew once and swallow.

the band has really opened up a new world of tasting things, that's for sure.

I think I actually enjoy eating food now more than I did before the band because i can really take my time with good foods and taste every bite.

I can totally relate to all of your points above. I get my first fill on the 8th too. I'm a bit nervous...but its a good thing!

I'm an October 11th bandit too! I can relate to all of the above!

I had my first fill appt yesterday but because of the 21lbs I have lost we decided to hold off on a fill until 12/7. I'm still satisfied with 1c food every 3.5-4hours. I'm on mushies until next Monday then I can begin soft solids.

Yesterday's weight was 177.4!! I haven't been below the 190s in ten years!