Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time off work?

For those who have been banded, how much time off work did you take to recover?

I took a week and that was just perfect for me

I am five days post-op. My doctor said two weeks, but I could have gone to work yesterday. (I have a sedentary job and co-workers that are willing to carry files for me.) My employer won't allow me to return until the two weeks have elapsed because my doc specified two weeks in the letter I had to submit before surgery.

I go to my doc for the post-op follow up on Tues (11 days after the surgery). At that time, I will ask him to give me written clearance to return to work.

I took a week and a half but when I went back to work I kinda felt sick. So I probably could have used the other couple of days, but I work with children so I'm constantly moving around.

Two weeks and I needed it. It wasn't the surgery itself but the anaesthetic that knocked me but I knew that from previous experience so I allowed myself the full two weeks.

Supposed to be one week for a desk job, two weeks for heavy lifting. My job is physical and I do heavy lifting, so it was two weeks for me and when I went back it was no prob at all.

For me I was banded on Thursday and back to work the following Monday.

I think the time off likely is determined by your job (is there heavy lifting etc) and how well you tolerate the pain.

Some do have a harder time of it than others...it's so unique for each person

I think it depends fully on the person. I had mine done on a friday and returned to work on monday. I had no problem but i walk alot at work and also sit so I think it helped me more returning to work. The best recovery is walking and I think thats a big help. Good Luck.

I took 3 full weeks. And I am really glad I did, gave me a chance to get used to the new diet and fully recover before returning. I could have been back easily after 2 as I was feeling really good, but I am really glad I took the 3.

For those who have been banded, how much time off work did you take to recover?

I was banded on a Wednesday and went back to work that following Monday - I have an office job so it worked for me...although I was still a little tired and most nights that following week I went home and didn't do much...but everyone is different.

I went back after 3 days off.

I work a desk job too. I took four days off; but I also work from home so I don't have to deal with things like commuting, etc. I had all of my home comforts around me to help me heal.

i requested one week off, but that sunday before i was supposed to return on monday, i had to call my boss and request a few more days.. I was back to work on Wednesday but still got tired very easily and not feeling 100%. I was anxious to get back to work tho because I felt antsy.