Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

300+ pounds Calorie goals

I'm hesitant to eat 900-1200 calories at my current weight but wonder if this should be my goal.......Do you try to eat a certain amount of calories to fuel your weight....my weight loss has been slow but i don't want to go into starvation mode either.......any suggestions would be helpful.

I was 366 pounds when I got started. My doctor told me to stick to 1200 calories a day. I try not to go over 1000 and usually I am under that. I eat chicken at least 4 days a week and occassionally I will have a turkey burger and fish (usually shrimp or crab). The rest that I eat are veggies, lots of salads and fruit. I track my calorie intake at www.myfitnesspal.com (it's free) and I excercise 5 days a week. Every 2 weeks my husband and I have a cheat night and we will go out and have dinner and I eat whatever I want. Usually I stick to healthy but I have been known to eat a Taco salad and Double Decker taco from Taco Bell.

I'm hesitant to eat 900-1200 calories at my current weight but wonder if this should be my goal.......Do you try to eat a certain amount of calories to fuel your weight....my weight loss has been slow but i don't want to go into starvation mode either.......any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks that is helpful.......I eat about 1800 and feel great but losing slowly......I use livestrong.com to count my calories and it says I should eat 2300 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week.

You are in "starvation mode". If your nutritionist is not guiding you through this you need to find someone who will. There are plenty of registered dieticians out there who will educate you on what is reasonable to eat in terms of calories, and how many of your calories should come from fat, Protein and carbs. Additionally, they can help you understand how the body synthesizes foods; the physiological process that happens when you eat different kinds of foods, etc. Just because you have the band doesn't mean their expertise doesn't apply to you. Take away the mystery and you'll be more confident that you are doing the best you can for your body.

*Edited to add*: I re-read your post and realized you may be eating more than 900-1200 and are wondering if you should drop to that level . If so, take out the first sentence and keep the rest! :)

I think that's too low for you. You should use a BMR calculator to determine your needs. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ then use the hbe for your daily caloric needs based on your activity level.

I started off at 400lbs but kept to 1000/1100 calories a day since i was able to eat solid food, we all have different requirements based on how quickly/much our bodies metabolise food and what we are burning off. My Doctor also advised me to eat around 1200 calories a day. There is a standard formula for working out calorie requirements and for most people that works fine but not everyone fits into neat little boxes. As long as your nutritional needs are being met, like protiens, carbs and fats and starches and you drink plenty of Water and exercise the weight does come off, if u do adjust the amount of calories you eat then do it slowly try a week or 2 at 100 calories less a day and see if that helps, but as always discuss any changes with your nutritionist/dietician :)

I wish you well on your journey.

I started out at 320 lbs. My doctor told me he doesn't want me counting calories, carbs, etc. It obviously didn't work for me in the past, and it used to stress me out trying to calculate everything. He just told me to make sure I am aware of what I am eating and to try to make sure I am adding good Protein into my meals. This seems to be working for me. I haven't restricted myself from eating anything (accept the foods that we should avoid such as bread, rice, etc., b/c we don't want complications). In the past, when I would say no sweets, I would then crave and binge on them. I don't eat alot of sweets anymore, and I do find that my taste buds have changed as well. I hope this has helped :) Good luck to you, and I hope you figure out what works best for you.

Happy Losing :D

Hello all... I have to agree with jeeptrk03. My doctor doesn't want me counting anything either. He told me to eat when I'm hungry only. If I'm not hungry... Don't eat!!! He says once I start thinking bout food eat something. Don't restrict myself to eat only 3xs a day. There is no rule that says I have to eat Breakfast. My surgeon just tells me to make sure I'm getting Protein at every meal. I'm not allowed to drink Protein Shakes n stuff. He rather me eat protein n start fuller longer than drink protein n have it run straight thru my band. I still keep a food log and I'm usually between 1000-1200. Somedays I go over but most days I don't but I don't beat myself up either when I do. Its a long journey ahead. I'm almost 3wks post-op. I was down 19lbs then gained 2lbs during my TOM. Make sure your drinking plenty Water n doing some form of exercise 30mins a day. I wish you nothing my the best during this journey. Keep me posted on your success!!! I'm definitely ready to officially be a ' LOSER'!!!

I started this journey 11 months ago... At 377 lbs and I have been eating 1000 calories per day since the beginning. I am losing an average of 2 lbs per week currently, am not starving and have a very healthy lifestyle. I have 80ish more lbs to go.... although at almost 5'10" I am looking pretty good these days.

Please follow your Dr's advice.... but you know your body... so do what I did... when he told me 1800 calories per day I told him I have dieted enough of my life to know the weight will not come off quickly and I will become frustrated. He agreed to me being at 1000 and he monitors me monthly to make sure I am not lacking in any nutrients.

Sadly I have a very slow metabolism so until I start a vigerous exercise program... I need to really limit my calorie intake. As more weight falls off I plan to do just that... then maybe I can eat a little more. :)

I started this journey 11 months ago... At 377 lbs and I have been eating 1000 calories per day since the beginning. I am losing an average of 2 lbs per week currently, am not starving and have a very healthy lifestyle. I have 80ish more lbs to go.... although at almost 5'10" I am looking pretty good these days.

Please follow your Dr's advice.... but you know your body... so do what I did... when he told me 1800 calories per day I told him I have dieted enough of my life to know the weight will not come off quickly and I will become frustrated. He agreed to me being at 1000 and he monitors me monthly to make sure I am not lacking in any nutrients.

Sadly I have a very slow metabolism so until I start a vigerous exercise program... I need to really limit my calorie intake. As more weight falls off I plan to do just that... then maybe I can eat a little more. :)

totally agree :) my regime is very similar to yours, my metaboolism is a slow one too so calories in and burned are important to me to lose weight. I could do with some of your height tho I am only 5'4 hence my BMI started very high :(

Hey Floridays... Good job on your weight loss. How much exercise are you doing? I am almost 3wks post-op. I was given a total of 6wks to be off work. But I am a truck driver and I work nights anywhere between 10-12hrs and I'm also in school... so I dont have lot of time in the day to to vigorous exercise as well. I have to get my rest in order to drive and be safe at night on the road. So I was just curious as to what you do n what kind of tips you may have for me being that I am over 300+ pounds as well and I can't exercise as much??? How much Fluid in your band? I have no Fluid in my 14cc band. I go for my first fill on Nov 18th (1wk before Thansgiving) WOW!!! But anyway, thanks for sharing!!!

totally agree :) my regime is very similar to yours, my metaboolism is a slow one too so calories in and burned are important to me to lose weight. I could do with some of your height tho I am only 5'4 hence my BMI started very high :(

Well even with my height I was a 55 BMI. I am currently a 35 I think.... 2/3rds of the way there....

Hey Floridays... Good job on your weight loss. How much exercise are you doing? I am almost 3wks post-op. I was given a total of 6wks to be off work. But I am a truck driver and I work nights anywhere between 10-12hrs and I'm also in school... so I dont have lot of time in the day to to vigorous exercise as well. I have to get my rest in order to drive and be safe at night on the road. So I was just curious as to what you do n what kind of tips you may have for me being that I am over 300+ pounds as well and I can't exercise as much??? How much Fluid in your band? I have no Fluid in my 14cc band. I go for my first fill on Nov 18th (1wk before Thansgiving) WOW!!! But anyway, thanks for sharing!!!

This isnt the popular reply....but I can tell you that I have lost all this weight so far with out one bit of formal exercise. I KNOW I need to start something so just in the past month or so I try to walk about 2 miles per day...but I am busy with work and find every reason why I dont have time so I cannot even count it. I really need to improve in this area. Its my downfall.

I started my pre op liquid last year the day BEFORE Thanksgiving.... was banded on 12/9 and my first mushie food was mashed potatoes on New Years day. :blink:

I have a 10cc band... and I think there is 4-5ccs in there now.... but my Dr tells me it does evaporate so its not an exact #. I had my first fill in February... 2 months post op. It took about 3 fills to feel decent restriction. I had my last fill in AUgust and I am READY for another... I go on Monday.

Congrats on getting on the other side....You will do just fine! :)

Thanks everyone, I think I will cut my calories and see how it feels.....I have upped my exercise so I should be seeing results!!

I started off at 285 about 4.5 months ago and since then, I have been trying to stay between 1000 and 1200 calories. Some days it is less, some days it is more. I have heard that your body gets used to the amount of calories if you continuously intake the same amount each day, so once a week I eat around 1400 and at different days of the week! It has worked for me so far!