Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

and the Psychiatrist says....

I'm normal! Woot! My family thinks I should get a second opinion on that :P

I was really nervous about seeing him, because it was the last thing I needed to do before completing my 6 mos supervised nutrition counseling. I have a history of depression, and had a real bad time with it over the past 2 years. It was justified depression (in my mind) seeing as my hubby walked out on us to be with his (now) pregnant mistress. My kids have not seen him since, and we have been in financial and emotional ruins as a result. Anyway, I was afraid that my lack of adjustment might stop my surgery. At this time, I am wonderfully medicated and doing much better. My "eval" was really a 20 minutes chat about my family history and who my support people are, as well as why I want lap-band surgery. He listened and took notes, then said "you're normal!" and that I seem to be a good candidate for surgery. That was that! Phew! He touched very very slightly on my depression history, and I took the depression scale quiz (which I rocked for the first time ever!) I put the psych eval off for the past almost-6 months out of fear it would stop me. I was pleasantly surprised at how painless it went!

that is a good sign that your meds have you on the right track. even though i received clearance from the psycologist, she said that my insurance covered as many sessions as we felt necessary, but we only needed one. maybe if you wanted, you could re-visit him afterwards to talk about the depression history more fully. my daughter laughed and said that i must have cheated on the test and to be honest i did. i told her everything she wanted to hear. perfect childhood, parents got along, love myself. but i got the feeling she really just wanted to make sure that i had a good support system. it is hard to open up to a complete stranger in a half hour session. good luck. when is your surgery? mine is december 1st. liquid diet starting in 2 weeks

You must have married a jackass. I can understand two people gettig mad at each other, but

to abandon your kids is absolutely unforgivable.

You sound like you've gotten things back together, best of luck to you and the kids.

Yes, yes I did marry a jackass :angry: It was COMPLETELY out of the blue (to me anyway- he had been texting/talking to her for 6 months behind my back). My Christmas present was "surprise! I'm moving out!" ::sigh:: But that's the past. I've spent the past almost 2 years as a broken mess, and I've finally put myself back on track. There is no looking back, and I've finally put ME on the front burner! B) I've spent all my life doing for others, and at my own expense. Not saying that I don't still do for others, but I am not going to let my own health slide anymore. I'm so unbelievably excited for this, I can't stand it! I go for my last appointment on the 11th, and then submit for insurance approval. He said I could have surgery if December, provided the insurance does what is expected. I will count this as the best Christmas present EVER. Much better than the last present I got! :P

You must have married a jackass. I can understand two people gettig mad at each other, but

to abandon your kids is absolutely unforgivable.

You sound like you've gotten things back together, best of luck to you and the kids.

That's wonderful news. May you have many, many more such validations. Best of luck on your surgery.