Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

losing weight too fast......leads to more surgery?

Hello Everyone,

I got banded in august and I have had one fill since then. I am slowly losing weight at about 10 pounds a month. Is that a healthy rate? I was just concerned that if I get additional fills that I will have extreme weight loss that lead to flappy skin everywhere. What have others experienced regarding this?

You are doing great, Your weight loss is what they want you to loose monthly, As for flabby skin, it depends on your skin type. I have some, but I knew I would and it just makes me work out harder. I does get less and I had a skinny friend show me even she has some flabby skin from having children.

Hey LW, What does 10X12 equal? That would be your weight loss in a year. If you have a balanced diet and get enough

exercise, your weight loss is right where it should be. I've lost 50 lbs and the skin under my forearms began to look

like crepe paper, a little work in the gym and it's all gone. Fills won't lead to excess weight loss, in fact, if hunger isn't

a problem for you, you don't have to have fills. I haven't and I'm still losing, but not everyone can get away with that.

If you are going to have loose skin, you are going to have it if you lose 2 pounds a week or 4 pounds a week.

Our skin issues will all be a bit different depending on things like age, sun exposure, where we carry weight, number of babies we had ..........many men carry weight in the middle just like being pregnant.

In my own case, I lost 100 pounds in one year and now at 2+ years post-op, my skin isn't too bad. I have a great deal of sun damage from many years of tanning when I was younger. I'm almost 47 years old. I carried my weight all over. I only had one baby in my teens and only gained 19 pounds, so my tummy does not need any tucking. I think my arms and thighs are the worst with excess skin, but am not sure I will ever have surgery to fix them. I'm just happy being at a normal BMI. At my age, I'm not concerned with wearing a bathing suit or mini skirt :) .

I think that our bodies are all different, and that we are all going to have different rates of loss that work best for us personally. I also have lost really quickly. I have lost 96 pounds since April, which makes an average of 13 pounds per month. Some people might balk at that rate, but I had a larger amount to lose. I still have almost 100 pounds to go. I had a bit of a slow period in September, but it's stepped back up again. As for skin... I haven't had a lot of loose skin, the only spot that I do, that I don't like, but it's not too bad, is my upper arms. I am much less bothered by it than I thought I would be.

What I would say is, if you feel good, and healthy and that your weight loss is a good rate for you, then it probably is. Admittedly, I was a little freaked out a first when I started losing that fast, but I've felt so good that I've just come to terms that I was meant for it to go at this rate.

Best of luck to you! Congrats on your loss thus far :)

Edit: I also should add that I have not had a fill at all, and I started with 2cc's in my band.

I have lost over 70 pounds since June 18th and the only place I am really seeing skin is my upper arms, but I have been using free weights and it is not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought I would have more excess skin than I do, but so far so good and I hope it stays that way beings I still have another 50 pounds or so to go!