Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you drink Sodas?

Hi,

Could you drink sodas with the band (Fizzy drinks)?

Could you eat a T-bone steak even if you chew well?

Could you eat sweets? Chocolates?

=======

I'm asking casue my mid-band doctor say eat everything but no Sodas

And

My friend who has the swedish band, says he can eat and drink everything but no sweets and chocolates

So just wondering

As you've figured out, every surgeon is a little different in their band rules. Most doctors say no carbonation of any kind. All doctors will tell you to avoid sweets and chocolate as much as possible because they're empty calories and the band will not restrict the quantity. They don't damage the band, they just need to be eaten with caution because they taste so darn good. ;)

Personally, I can eat a small amount of tender steak if I eat very slowly and chew, chew, chew. Tolerance for different foods varies widely between bandsters, so this may not be true for you. The most common problem foods seem to be bread, rice, and Pasta.

Could you drink sodas with the band (Fizzy drinks)? I can but I drink VERY little because the air does get trapped and it makes me upcomfortable (very little = one small gulp).

Could you eat a T-bone steak even if you chew well? I don't do well with solid red meat. I am fine with taco meat and chicken.

Could you eat sweets? Chocolates? I had a problem with a dry brownie once. I don't really have a sweet tooth.

I can just about have a bite of anything to satisfy the craving. I just have to know when to stop with things I know will hurt me.

Best of luck to you!

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I don't drink soda at all because of the carbination, and I don't like sweets so I don't eat those either. I do however eat rib and t-bone steaks, I just make sure I chew really well and if a piece does not chew up well then I spit that piece out.

Doc said no sodas, but I tried it anyway, about 2 months after I was banded. I took one sip and I guess the fizzies went crazy inside my stoma. I haven't even looked at sodas since then.

Haven't tried steak... afraid to.

I try to avoid sweets & chocolate too. I did have a fun-size Snickers bar one time and it went down fine. Ice cream on occasion (maybe once a month) goes down fine for me too.

I drank a bottle of diet coke the other day because DH bought me one and I had no trouble with it, other than it tastes like a bottle full of chemicals, lol. I dont drink fizzy drinks anyway - except for champagne, lol.

And all the rest, yes I can eat anything. Even bread now which initially caused me discomfort.

Guys.... Thank you sooooo much for your inputs, I don't know how would I do if it wasn't for you:) :) :)

I can eat any food I want, steak, bread, whatever. I try to stay away from empty calories.

I do not drink soda and haven't tried. Although I think my band could probably handle it (it handles everything else fine), I read that people who drink soda, even diet, are more overweight than those who don't. The theory is that, although a diet soda does not have sugar in it, it is so sweet that your body is tricked into thinking there is sugar in it. This causes the fluctuations in insulin (and insulin resistance) that contribute to obesity.

I used to drink a diet coke every day. Now I don't miss it.

No no no to carbonation for me. Doc says the carbonation "can" be uncomfortable but the main reason is that the carbonation gasses can expand your pouch. Also some of the acids in sodas (ie Coke) can lend a hand to erosions.

As for Chocolate.... ((sigh)) I only wish I couldn't eat it. Why does all the crap food go down so easy?

Any bread, and I am stuck.

I don't eat steak. Not because I can't, just don't know because I don't eat it. Didn't before band, don't now.

I never thought that I would lose the desire for diet coke but I did! Carbonation is tough on me. I even tried to buy a bottle and leave the cap off so the carbonation would fizzle out, but it just wasn't the same. The good news is that I don't miss it at all, not even the caffine. (this took a couple of weeks)