Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 2 years ago. Do my best to answer your questions

Hello Everyone,

I was banded July 27, 2009. Since then I've lost 135 lbs. It's been one heck of a ride! If you are considering having it done, or maybe you're still a new bandster, I'll be happy to answer questions of what it's been like for me.

Maggie

This is terrific!!!! I hope to do the same when I reach my goal. I am still in the process but hopefully will be banded in December. Here are my questions:

(1) How long did it take you to lose 135lbs?

(2) Do you regret having it?

(3) What was the hardest thing to get use to?

(4) What was the easiest thing about the surgery?

(5) Before the surgery, did you have doubts? How do you feel about that now?

I think I am most afraid of my mental attachment to food. I just quit Diet Soda on Monday and today I actually was sad about. Like as if I almost lost a friend. I am also afraid of not succeeding after taking such a drastic measure to lose weight.

This is terrific!!!! I hope to do the same when I reach my goal. I am still in the process but hopefully will be banded in December. Here are my questions:

(1) How long did it take you to lose 135lbs?

(2) Do you regret having it?

(3) What was the hardest thing to get use to?

(4) What was the easiest thing about the surgery?

(5) Before the surgery, did you have doubts? How do you feel about that now?

I think I am most afraid of my mental attachment to food. I just quit Diet Soda on Monday and today I actually was sad about. Like as if I almost lost a friend. I am also afraid of not succeeding after taking such a drastic measure to lose weight.

(1) I lost approximately 40 lbs before I had the surgery done. I was determined not to have to have surgery to lose weight, but I just couldn't get anywhere. So it's taken about 2 1/2 years for me to lose it.

(2) NO I don't regret it :D The best advice I got was from my friend who had gastric bypass. He told me that you are exchanging some old problems for new ones, which is true. But the positives outweigh the negatives by a landslide!

(3) To not lay on the couch and watch TV and eat chips and junk food mindlessly. You can't lay down and eat. What you eat just sits in the esophagus and feels like it will come back up. Broke that habit for me but I still miss being able to do that.

(4) The surgery itself wasn't that bad so I guess that's the easiest. I thought it would be more physically painful than it was.

(5) I had doubts all the way up to the day of the surgery. In fact, I was lying in pre-op thinking, "it's not too late to back out. I don't have to do this." If my best friend and sister hadn't been there and been allowed to sit in pre-op with me, I'm sure I would have backed out of it. They got me through that and I'm grateful they didn't let me do it. I think it's absolutely natural to have doubts. You are changing your life forever and there's no going back. It takes a lot of long, hard work. It's not just the diet part of it. I joined a gym and learned to lift weights and do circuit training. There's no way to know how it will turn out. I was scared I'd go through all of this and not lose any weight.

The mental attachment doesn't go away. They fix the belly but not the brain. It is not that hard to cheat it. Last winter I gained 18 lbs and it had to work hard at the gym to get it back off. I'm still a big eater at heart and will always want to eat a lot. It corrects you from eating as much as you used to though. You just cant or you throw it up.

I gave up diet sodas for about 6 months but I drink them ocassionally now. Not every day.

My surgery is scheduled for 11-11-11 and I'm doing the pre-op diet right now, which is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I also have a very emotional attachment to food that I'm concerned about. When I went on the South Beach Diet and couldn't have carbs for 2 weeks I even started dreaming of sugar. Have you had to see a therapist to help you deal with your emotions or attend a support group? I plan on attending the support group my surgeons office has once a month, but I just don't know if that's really going to help me or not. I'm feeling all kinds of emotions right now, but particularly anxiety, anger, and excitement. Any advice?

Maggie,

I'm not a newbie and am actually one year and a couple of weeks banded. Best darn thing I've done for myself. I do have a question for you. I am almost at goal, however, the past month I've noticed a change in my restriction when 2-3 days out of the week I can eat a lot more than usual and there are some days that I don't feel like I have a band at all. The other days I do just fine with small portions and feeling full. I've kept my weigh off and continue to slowly lose because I am working out everyday (running, gym, zumba, yard work etc etc. I'm sure it is time for a fill and my question to you is in two fold. 1) Are my symptoms calling for a fill? 2. How often does one need a fill after losing most of your weight and is there a point when we don't get anymore fills?

My understanding is that the stomach loses fat as you lose more weight leaving the band loose. I have lost a bit more weight since my last doc appointment at which time she told me that I was fine where I was at as far as volume in the band (done under floro). My doc is out on medical leave and I can't see her til December. Can you share your experiences with fills after 2 years and what to expect?

Thanks, Jake

My surgery is scheduled for 11-11-11 and I'm doing the pre-op diet right now, which is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I also have a very emotional attachment to food that I'm concerned about. When I went on the South Beach Diet and couldn't have carbs for 2 weeks I even started dreaming of sugar. Have you had to see a therapist to help you deal with your emotions or attend a support group? I plan on attending the support group my surgeons office has once a month, but I just don't know if that's really going to help me or not. I'm feeling all kinds of emotions right now, but particularly anxiety, anger, and excitement. Any advice?

I did see a therapist and it did help. I haven't been back for awhile because it is so expensive, but I definitely would benefit from seeing one with the attachment to food. I went before I had surgery because I worried about the food and not being able to eat and also I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to deal with all the changes of weight loss and attention it brings. Unfortunately, my therapist wasn't very well equipped to help me. He didn't have any background with weight issues even though he was referred to me. If you can afford one and find one that can help you, then by all means make the most of it. I would like to go back. Overeating is so complex. There are so many emotions attached with it. Good luck!

Maggie,

I'm not a newbie and am actually one year and a couple of weeks banded. Best darn thing I've done for myself. I do have a question for you. I am almost at goal, however, the past month I've noticed a change in my restriction when 2-3 days out of the week I can eat a lot more than usual and there are some days that I don't feel like I have a band at all. The other days I do just fine with small portions and feeling full. I've kept my weigh off and continue to slowly lose because I am working out everyday (running, gym, zumba, yard work etc etc. I'm sure it is time for a fill and my question to you is in two fold. 1) Are my symptoms calling for a fill? 2. How often does one need a fill after losing most of your weight and is there a point when we don't get anymore fills?

My understanding is that the stomach loses fat as you lose more weight leaving the band loose. I have lost a bit more weight since my last doc appointment at which time she told me that I was fine where I was at as far as volume in the band (done under floro). My doc is out on medical leave and I can't see her til December. Can you share your experiences with fills after 2 years and what to expect?

Thanks, Jake

Jake,

You do sound like you need a fill to me. Maybe just a small adjustment though, not a "big fill" like they do sometimes. I really don't know how often you need a fill after losing most of your weight. The last 2 that they did on me resulted in having to go back and having some removed. I'm at the stage where they are filling it almost microscopically. I haven't had one in about 6 months. I was able to eat too much too but now I'm having some problems with acid reflux that I have never had before now. I haven't had to take anything for acid reflux at all but all of sudden I'm having to sleep almost sitting up and I'm having some difficulty eating much at all. I'm thinking that the fill I had is needing reduced a little bit. The doc told me to imagine the stomach like a Water balloon and that they band is like a rubber band around it. The stomach also "realizes" that there is a restriction (our bodies are soooo smart!) and it will try to thin itself and rearrange itselft to make the opening larger for more food to pass through.

I think you will be okay to wait until Dec if you think you can hold on that long. I do the same thing being able to eat a lot one day and not so much the next. I have no idea why that is but some days it's just crabby. I hope that helps.

Maggie

Maggie,

Yes, this did help. I do have the option of seeing the PA for a fill, however, it is such a hassle with insurance, that I will wait til December when my doc comes back.

Some fills back I also experienced acid reflux and had to sleep sitting up, otherwise, I would wake up gagging. I had .5 removed and this took care of the problem. I'm really scared to do another fill only because they may put too much in and I'll start up with the stuck episodes and acid reflux. I may just go on liquid Proteins for a week or so and see if this helps.

Thanks again Maggie. Definitely see your doc about a very slight unfill to get the acid reflux controlled. Jake

Jake,

You do sound like you need a fill to me. Maybe just a small adjustment though, not a "big fill" like they do sometimes. I really don't know how often you need a fill after losing most of your weight. The last 2 that they did on me resulted in having to go back and having some removed. I'm at the stage where they are filling it almost microscopically. I haven't had one in about 6 months. I was able to eat too much too but now I'm having some problems with acid reflux that I have never had before now. I haven't had to take anything for acid reflux at all but all of sudden I'm having to sleep almost sitting up and I'm having some difficulty eating much at all. I'm thinking that the fill I had is needing reduced a little bit. The doc told me to imagine the stomach like a Water balloon and that they band is like a rubber band around it. The stomach also "realizes" that there is a restriction (our bodies are soooo smart!) and it will try to thin itself and rearrange itselft to make the opening larger for more food to pass through.

I think you will be okay to wait until Dec if you think you can hold on that long. I do the same thing being able to eat a lot one day and not so much the next. I have no idea why that is but some days it's just crabby. I hope that helps.

Maggie

Maggie,

Yes, this did help. I do have the option of seeing the PA for a fill, however, it is such a hassle with insurance, that I will wait til December when my doc comes back.

Some fills back I also experienced acid reflux and had to sleep sitting up, otherwise, I would wake up gagging. I had .5 removed and this took care of the problem. I'm really scared to do another fill only because they may put too much in and I'll start up with the stuck episodes and acid reflux. I may just go on liquid Proteins for a week or so and see if this helps.

Thanks again Maggie. Definitely see your doc about a very slight unfill to get the acid reflux controlled. Jake

Jake,

Thanks for your suggestion because I know I needed to hear it. When people ask me about what the hardest part to having a Lap Band I tell lthem it's the tinkering with it that gets old. Filling, overfilling, taking it out, etc. I still am glad that I did it though and the problems it has are not near as bad as being twice my body weight brought. A friend of mine who had gastric bypass told me that while I would leave behind the problems that the weight brought me, I'd be taking on new ones. That was the best advice I ever got before surgery and the most true. Hope you do well with yours. Mine is doing some better. Been taking the Prilosec and holding down food again. It's hard work to be this thin LOL

Jake,

Thanks for your suggestion because I know I needed to hear it. When people ask me about what the hardest part to having a Lap Band I tell lthem it's the tinkering with it that gets old. Filling, overfilling, taking it out, etc. I still am glad that I did it though and the problems it has are not near as bad as being twice my body weight brought. A friend of mine who had gastric bypass told me that while I would leave behind the problems that the weight brought me, I'd be taking on new ones. That was the best advice I ever got before surgery and the most true. Hope you do well with yours. Mine is doing some better. Been taking the Prilosec and holding down food again. It's hard work to be this thin LOL

Hello,

I'm thinking about having the lap band done and I do have a few questions..

1. Did you vomit a lot or even any?

2. what do you eat eh first month?

3. I live in SE Indiana and want to find a Dr. that I can trust and who has experience who can I go to?

I have BCBSTX PPO INS> I do suffer from HB, Pre-Diabetic and am 110 pds over weight. I'm 5'5 and weight 258. What are my chances of my insurance covering this?

4> How much pain is there involved to filling and what all is involved?

5. How long from beginnig the process to actually getting the process done?

I'm sure I will come up with more later but this is a good start. Thank you

Hi, Maggie,

I am 66 years old and wanted to have the Reau N Y bariatric surgery and did all the necessary tests and appointments and was told I am too old and the doctor won't do it. So I am having the Lap Band surgery soon. I got the okay and I am waiting for the insurance to okay everything. I am so impressed that you were able to lose all that weight and I am hoping I will be as successful as you. Millgirl45

Hi, Maggie,

I am 66 years old and wanted to have the Reau N Y bariatric surgery and did all the necessary tests and appointments and was told I am too old and the doctor won't do it. So I am having the Lap Band surgery soon. I got the okay and I am waiting for the insurance to okay everything. I am so impressed that you were able to lose all that weight and I am hoping I will be as successful as you. Millgirl45

Thank you so much! It's been the hardest thing I've ever done and by now I thought I'd be at my goal weight of 150 lbs. But I'm much healthier than before so I'll take it! Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!

Maggie

I can chime in and answer some of your questions. Maggie can also give you input on her experience.

Vomiting is not the norm and can occur at first, but, you learn really quickly on how to eat properly. Trust me! Not chewing your food well enough is the main culprit. This occurs when pieces of your food obstruct or become lodged in your stoma. The stoma is the entrance from the upper stomach (small stomach above the band) into your large stomach (below the band). The stoma is the cause of restriction keeping the food to remain above the stoma a bit longer and sensors there signal the brain that you are full. The food eventually passes thru the upper to lower stomach. You can also vomit if you eat too fast or too much. The "proper way of eating with a band" is a learning process and you do learn really quick.

Every surgeon has different diets. I can share what mine required.

• 3-5 days - Protein drinks with skim milk, apple sauce, cream of wheat

• Mushies stage: Examples of mushies: scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, vienna sausages, grits, cream of wheat, mashed Beans, mashed potatoes, cheese etc.

• Once past the mushie stage you will eat normal much smaller meals with eating Proteins first, fruits and veggies second, then, carbs last., but, will proceed slowly until you know which foods you will be able to tolerate. Within 1month or so you will have an idea of what you can and can't tolerate. All bandsters are different so it's hard to say how your progression will be.

3. I live in SE Indiana and want to find a Dr. that I can trust and who has experience who can I go to?

No advice

I have BCBSTX PPO INS> I do suffer from HB, Pre-Diabetic and am 110 pds over weight. I'm 5'5 and weight 258. What are my chances of my insurance covering this?

I was approved through BCBSNM. Your chances of being approved look really good. Your primary doctor has a major role in approval or no approval. Make sure your Primary is on board, for he/she must submit a letter of medical necessity on your behalf which plays a huge role in approval.

Pain is minimal. A special needle is inserted thru your skin into the port where they will either insert or remove saline (fill or unfill). All my fills have been done under floroscope. Floroscope is a special kind of x-ray machine and they have you swallow barium and they can see how much goes thru the stoma. You get used to this very easily. Trust me I did and I was a wimp when it came to needles.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I'm thinking about having the lap band done and I do have a few questions..

5. How long from beginnig the process to actually getting the process done?

I'm sure I will come up with more later but this is a good start. Thank you

Hello Everyone,

I was banded July 27, 2009. Since then I've lost 135 lbs. It's been one heck of a ride! If you are considering having it done, or maybe you're still a new bandster, I'll be happy to answer questions of what it's been like for me.

Maggie

Hello Everyone,

Maggie