Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills and weight loss

The more I read people’s posts the more it sounds like (for a lot of people anyway) that until you get three or four fills the weight doesn’t seem to come off quickly if at all? Is this correct? I’m asking because I was banded on 8/22 and had my first fill on October 4th (2cc’s) and have my second fill next Tuesday, November 1 and in the three weeks since my last fill I don’t appear to be losing much at all (if anything). I am using fitness pal and I track EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. I am eating all my Protein and few carbs, drinking my Water. I’m right around 900 – 1100 calories per day. I would think I should be dropping at least 2 lbs a week but no such luck. Is this because I haven’t had enough fills yet to have restriction, or does that really have nothing to do with it?

The more I read people's posts the more it sounds like (for a lot of people anyway) that until you get three or four fills the weight doesn't seem to come off quickly if at all? Is this correct? I'm asking because I was banded on 8/22 and had my first fill on October 4th (2cc's) and have my second fill next Tuesday, November 1 and in the three weeks since my last fill I don't appear to be losing much at all (if anything). I am using fitness pal and I track EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. I am eating all my Protein and few carbs, drinking my Water. I'm right around 900 1100 calories per day. I would think I should be dropping at least 2 lbs a week but no such luck. Is this because I haven't had enough fills yet to have restriction, or does that really have nothing to do with it?

I'm not sure i was banded Aug 11, 2011 had 3 fills down 34 pounds today my weight today is 180

This answer will probably be unpopular, but it's always been my opinion that

if you burn more calories than you eat, you'll lose weight, and if you eat more

calories than you burn, you'll gain. The band helps with hunger and fills restrict

the band pouch opening to give the feeling of fullness. The amount of food

that a person puts in their mouth, however, is strictly up to them. I know there

are many problems that cause people to overeat, but most of us had them

before surgery, and the band, by itself, won't cure those problems. That's up

to us.

For jsea, don't be too impatient, if after your third fill you still don't see any loss,

I'd be very surprised. I do hope things go well for you.

The more I read people's posts the more it sounds like (for a lot of people anyway) that until you get three or four fills the weight doesn't seem to come off quickly if at all? Is this correct? I'm asking because I was banded on 8/22 and had my first fill on October 4th (2cc's) and have my second fill next Tuesday, November 1 and in the three weeks since my last fill I don't appear to be losing much at all (if anything). I am using fitness pal and I track EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth. I am eating all my Protein and few carbs, drinking my Water. I'm right around 900 – 1100 calories per day. I would think I should be dropping at least 2 lbs a week but no such luck. Is this because I haven't had enough fills yet to have restriction, or does that really have nothing to do with it?

In my case I have lost an average of 10-12 lbs per month... The first month was 20 and there have been months that were only 8 so I dont think its has any correlation to the number of fills I got or when I started getting them. I will tell you that I have seen my Dr every single month since being banded... so that when I needed a fill I got it... and didnt wait for the lbs to start creeping back on to get one.

I last had a fill in July. In September when I was there he said I am doing well enough to only come in every 2 months. In fact I have an appointment 2 weeks from today and I think I need a fill.... that said I have lost 12 lbs in the past 6 weeks and have 2 weeks to go. That will make my average a little lower than what its been running.... but I think as I get closer to my goal I will lose more slowely.

Sinc ethis is the first time I have gone 2 months....maybe I really do need a fill.... and could justify your question... I mean in theory I got the band for the reason someone else posted..... the band curbs hunger and a fill restricts the band pouch opening to give the feeling of fullness.

I was banded 8/19 with only one fill of 1.6 at six weeks post op. I notice that I was not loosing wt. even after my fill, so I starting going to the gym 3-4 times per week (Zumba) and as of last Friday I'm down 30lbs since surgery. And down from a size 20 to a confartable size 16 jeans.

I too have the fill issue going onI was banded August 31st 2011 and had Gastric Plication/Imbrication done..I just got a small .5 cc fill on Oct 14th and I am not feeling too much restriction so I am going to ask for a larger fill Nov 11th my next appointment.My surgeon's office does the fills with flouroscopy.I really am anxious to find the "Green Zone" becasue I feel as if I am eating too much but when I count my calories and protien I am doing everthing correctly.

Technically if you are restricting yourself to 900 to 1100 a day, you should lose regardless of fill level -there is nothing magic about restriction,nit does not cause weight loss in nd of itself. Eating fewer calories than you burn causes weight loss. Bit good restriction leads to more consistency with calorie cutting. For eg. At the moment i dont have great restriction. I regained some weight after cancer treatment but about 5 lb more than i wanted to and im trying to lose that. I get frustrated that im eating 1200 a day and running no less than 8 kms a day but not losing. But really, im eating 1200 for three days then pigging out for two, because im damn hungry. Im als not that careful, i pick and nibble a bit. Could you be forgetting or miscalculating calories in the same way? Or perhaps burning very few due tp taking it easy after surgery?

Technically if you are restricting yourself to 900 to 1100 a day, you should lose regardless of fill level -there is nothing magic about restriction,nit does not cause weight loss in nd of itself. Eating fewer calories than you burn causes weight loss. Bit good restriction leads to more consistency with calorie cutting. For eg. At the moment i dont have great restriction. I regained some weight after cancer treatment but about 5 lb more than i wanted to and im trying to lose that. I get frustrated that im eating 1200 a day and running no less than 8 kms a day but not losing. But really, im eating 1200 for three days then pigging out for two, because im damn hungry. Im als not that careful, i pick and nibble a bit. Could you be forgetting or miscalculating calories in the same way? Or perhaps burning very few due tp taking it easy after surgery?

No I am definitely not miscalculating calories. I am as strict as they come with not only my portion sizes but my calories and Protein intake as well. I was banded 9 weeks ago and have lost 21lbs to date. I called my doctor's office yesterday and she told me that I am right on track with my weight loss. She said that the average weight loss is 1 - 2 lbs per week and right now I am above that. I guess I just get anxious and want it all off immediately and I have to realize it is going to take time, just as it did for me to put the weight on. I just didn't know if there was a correlation between fills and weight loss because so many people on here say they didn't "really start seeing the weight fall off" until after 3 or 4 fills. Thank you all for your comments and posts.

No I am definitely not miscalculating calories. I am as strict as they come with not only my portion sizes but my calories and Protein intake as well. I was banded 9 weeks ago and have lost 21lbs to date. I called my doctor's office yesterday and she told me that I am right on track with my weight loss. She said that the average weight loss is 1 - 2 lbs per week and right now I am above that. I guess I just get anxious and want it all off immediately and I have to realize it is going to take time, just as it did for me to put the weight on. I just didn't know if there was a correlation between fills and weight loss because so many people on here say they didn't "really start seeing the weight fall off" until after 3 or 4 fills. Thank you all for your comments and posts.

I truely believe that what goes in has to come out. 1-2 lbs a week is great. I was banded on May 5th 2011 and I had my first fill in the middle of June. He tried to put 4 cc's in a 12cc band but it didn't work. He took two out. I went back in July 20th and he said I was still really restricted. But I talked him into .5ccs. Then my next appointment wasn't until Oct 4th and he gave me 1.50 ccs. He told me not to come back until after I go on my cruise in Feb that my husband gave me for losing 60lbs in 5 months. I think it depends on everybodys body type. Like my dr says it doesn't matter what amount you have in it all starts with what goes in the mouth. This is just a tool to help us make good healty decsions. I think if you go into it just watching what you eat and exercise then the weight should come off. Good Luck to you. I wish you the best.