Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Backed Out Of My Lap Band Surgery!

Well I was on my pre-op diet and had a surgery date set for Friday October 28, 2011 but I called and cancelled everything. I have just been extremely worried about the "long term" of this surgery. I have done alot of research and I dont think i should do it so I talked it over with my family. I am very sad about it because I was looking to starting a new life but I just cant see or afford to have ANYTHING go wrong either during or after surgery. I just keep thinking about what is going to happen when I have had the band for 10 to 20 years is I make it that long. I know it will eventually stretch once at its maximum fill. so then what? I have to pay to have ANOTHER surgery to be rebanded and take that chance of complications all over again. I jsut read alot of negative things about this surgery, short term and long term, and it has made me change my mind. I hope i am not making a huge mistake because i am now lost at what to do!

Everyone has to make the decision that is right for themselves. I am more concerned with my health down the road if I remained as heavy as I was/am than I am with something happening to the band in a few years, so I made the right choice for me. Hope you can find a way to lose the weight you need to in a way that works for you. Good luck to you.

Girl that's nothing I chicken out at the last minute I had my iv on and everything but I was to scared because I told everyone in my family and they were scared of the outcomes and I decided not to do it anymore but a year later here I am starting all over again I decided not to tell anybody just my husband and this time I feel really positive I guess because I don't have to explain everyone and they not giving me negative comments. Stay strong and decide what best for u and don't anyone bring u down :)

well i do think about my health in the future and where i will be being this over weight but i am just soooooooo scared about having complications. i do not have insurance and do not know what i would do if i were to have problems. i am a very skeptical person i know, i always think, WHAT IF i am one of the people that the band just doesnt sit well with me. what if it doesnt work for me and i have to have it taken out and then i have wasted $10,000. i dont know. i just and so confused and scared and anxious on what to do. this is a very hard time for me. not knowing what the best thing to do should be.???

I was diabetic with sleep apnea and overloaded knees that were going to need replacement if

I didn't take some weight off them. My doctor finally put it in words I could understand. He said

"You're going to die if you don't do something soon." I wasn't suicidal so I decided to lose some

weight. I'd lost up to 80 lbs a number of times, but seemed to put it right back on. WLS didn't

seem very manly, but then neither did dying, so here I am 50 lbs lighter and wishing I'd done

it many years ago. Everyone needs to make their own decision about this in light of their own

situation, in mine, I really wanted to see my grandchildren grow up, they're just too much fun

for me not to be here for them. I went to the hospital my PCP recommended, which was a

Center of Excellence in Beverly Hills, a horrible drive, but worth every shattered nerve. My

surgeon and the hospital were so good I never the least pain except for my incisions.

To this day, as I sit here with the shirt that didn't fit two months ago,I haven't had the slightest

reason to regret it. When guys ask "Why in the world did you do that?"

I say "Pick up a hundred pound sack and carry it around all day and

You'll see".

Just a few things that I learned from the seminar.:

My surgeon says the newest Lap-Band is very good and he has seen very few cases of erosion.

Its reversible. According to my surgeon, since its a foreign body, if you want it out, then the surgeon and insurance company has the obligation to take it out and pay for it.

Many people walk around with it unfilled and go about their lives as usual. Not losing weight and eating as normal. This is meant to be used as a tool to get to your goal and maintain it.

I understand its a personal decision that everyone has to make. I personally talked my husband out of it in 2008. We both went to the gym and lost weight. Guess what? We both gained it back and then some. I just got to the point of my life that I do not want to struggle with the yo-yoing anymore. I am 36 and I have been battling this disease for 1/2 my life!!! The path I am taking right now is not leading me anywhere and in fact probably leading me to high blood pressure, high choloestrol and mabye diabetes. I am regainig my life back from food!!! So at this point if it means eating small portions, giving up diet soda, getting gas pains or throwing up once in a while, its a trade off that I am willing to make. With all the appointments that I am going on I am sure that my surgeon will be confident that I can withstand a 45-60 minute procedure. Whatever you choose, just continue your journey of weight loss. If its on your own or with the Lap-band. I wish you lots of Luck!

Have you thought about the complications if you don't have it done. There is a far bigger risk to your helath from being obese than there is from having a band. Maybe you should research how many people die from obesity related conditions and then check out how many die from band complications. I think the results will be quite an eye opener.

Ditto !

Just a word from someone that has been banded for 6 years.

My Band has not stretched at all...

I have a 4cc band, (THAT IS THE ORIGINAL BAND)

mY FILL IS AT 2.5 CC'S, and if I try to go tighter, well,,, I wouldn't be able to swallow Water.

So it has to stay in the Green Zone.

The Band is adjusted to fit your needs.

Example: If you have a 12 cc Band (IF THEY MAKE ONE ! CAUSE I DON'T KNOW THE SIZES)

They may only need 6cc's in it to get to your fill line, and stay comfortable.

Then you have plenty of room for Adjustments.

It's not like your going to start at 11cc's, and then have to worry will you run out of room with the Band for Adjustments.

I have never heard of that happening at all.

So just a piece of advice thrown your way.

I'm sorry that I could not have told you this, before you changed your mind., just for comfort.

I wish you luck ! But please think about the above posts.

They are on the Money.

Shirley.

I haven't been banded yet, but one thing I have learned is that you must be willing to work with band to lose the weight. If I had any doubts, I would back out as well. Getting this close to surgery and putting a stop to it took quite a bit of courage. I'm sure that you will find the right solution for you.

good luck!

reading all of your post really makes me think i made a bad decision. but here is one thing that i dont know if i could ever change. EATING SLOWLY AND SMALL AMOUNTS. i have always been a fast eater and i dont know that i will be able to suceed at everything i am worried about. like Pasta, i have all different ethnics in my family and we love to eat different food from all around the world and i can not imagine NEVER being able to eat this kind of good food again. can ya'll tell me some of the worst things you have experienced? Maybe the Sleeve will be better for me but not sure what the surgery would be.

reading all of your post really makes me think i made a bad decision. but here is one thing that i dont know if i could ever change. EATING SLOWLY AND SMALL AMOUNTS. i have always been a fast eater and i dont know that i will be able to suceed at everything i am worried about. like Pasta, i have all different ethnics in my family and we love to eat different food from all around the world and i can not imagine NEVER being able to eat this kind of good food again. can ya'll tell me some of the worst things you have experienced? Maybe the Sleeve will be better for me but not sure what the surgery would be.

(1) Not too late to tell them that you changed your mind again. You can say that you were scared that you cheated on your pre-op diet and got scared

(2) When my husband wanted to get the Lapband it in 2008, I was against it because I didn't think I could ever quit Diet Soda...Crazy right? Well I have to divorce Diet Pepsi if I want to be skinny. I am down to my last 2 cans!!! I am freaking out but Diet Pepsi can not control how I want to be. Its ridiculous. I plan on quitting cold turkey on Monday but I am not going to beat myself up about it....I could always drink it flat if I have to. You could always have a bite or two of Pasta. Don't let pasta get in the way of doing the happy dance in the dressing room when you get into the skinny jeans lol. For me not drinking while eating will take some getting use to but i guess since 2008 I just got to the point that I am ready!!! Sick of food controlling me and making me feel yucky physically and mentally.

(3) Here is what I know after my seminar I knew the Lapband was my clear choice. Mainly because its reversible, has no complications of leakage or hemorrage. With the sleeve 80% your stomach will be cut of your stomach forever. I bet you still have to eat slow with it too.

My suggestion is maybe go in and talk with your surgeon maybe you need sometime or an attempt at weightloss yourself first. Look it took me 3 years to finally come to this conclusion. Difference is I am ready now, I wasn't then.

I am from a Ethnic background also, and food was always a major part of everything. If you didn't eat it, it was offensive.

Well, that's what helped get me FAT, and it became a food ADDICTION.

I new I lost weight in the past, but always put it back on.

So the bottom line was I knew I needed help, because I could not keep it of.

So at 356 Lbs. I started my weight loss journey.

I eat for myself, and my health. Eventually,,, other people begin to understand,

that you must do what is right for you. People do understand.

I did some research on the sleeve, the problem is,,, is when they cut away part of your stomach, (NO GOING BACK !)

They cut out the Hunger Hormone, and for a lot of people, in about 2-3 years, it grows back ! ! Now that's a problem...

If I were you, I would call them up, and tell them it's nerves, and I made a mistake. (I'm sure they understand this.)

and stick with a good plan. That's if it were me ! I am not telling you what to do at all ! ! !

Just think of your life, and ask yourself. CAN YOU LOSE WEIGHT, AND KEEP IT OF ?

If yes then I would ask you why are you even here ? If not ! Your not alone ! You have to except this.

Think about it.. P M me any time, Shirley.

I just want to say thank you to ALL of you for your post. It has really made me do some more thinking. (i dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing lol) I just need to decide what is best for me. I honetly know that WLS will probably end up being the only way for me because i am not dedicated enough to go out and do hours of exercise and strict dieting. just need to make up my mind. thank you all again for the inspiring words.!!

Why should having a band stop you eating food from different cultures around the world? It doesn't choose what you eat - it is designed to help you feel satisfied with less. I eat italian, chinese, thai, mexican whatever , the band doesn't stop me doing that.

I used to be the world's fastest eater. I was always finished long before everyone else. I also didn't think I would be able to slow down but guess what once you have your band you do and it doesn't bother you because this becomes your new normal. I probably still eat a lot faster than many bandsters I know but It's a lot slower than previously. I finish after the rest of my family, not first.

It is normal to be scared before surgery. But you shouldn't go into it unless you are fully ready. The thing to be aware of is that the things that you are worried about now will not even bother you in a couple of months time.E.G You won't regret not being able to eat a huge meal because you will be satisfied with a small one etc

Back in June, I was all ready to do this. Got my psych, got my sleep study and would have probably had WLS by the end of August. I then went to a horrible so-called support group meeting in my area, got scared, and left the meeting not wanting any type of surgery, and thinking I could do this myself. After about 3 months, a lot of thinking and gaining nearly 10 more pounds, I came to my senses and called my surgeon to start the rest of the pre-op steps. Maybe you just need to take a few months to think about it, start making small changes in your lifestyle. I know that since August, I have started making a lot of better choices in regards to my health. Though, my surgery won't be for another month or so, I've started to phase myself into my pre-op diet, and am doing other things as though I've already had my surgery. For instance, I got back on my treadmil and I started eating off small plates with baby spoons. I haven't been perfect, but I'm doing a lot better than I was two months ago. It's your life, your body, and your decision.