Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tilapia Fish

Last week I went shopping at Sams. And you know how they are always serving the demo foods? That particular day they were serving Tilapia fish. It was cooked on an electric skillet, seasoned with lime pepper and butter. Thats it.

I passed by the demo table 3 times getting samples. By the 3rd time I was getting embarrased so I figured it was time to buy a bag of it.

My God in heaven..... this stuff is delish!!! yummmm

Anyone else fix it???

Kelly, I didnt know that Walmart sold it... thanks for that info.

This is some good stuff.

At Sams, you buy a big bag of about 12 individually bagged fillets. I took out several fillets and ran warm Water over them (took only minutes to thaw out). I like this idea - cause you only fix as much as you need.

Paula, where have you been? Here in VA, that's a big seller at the Red Lobster restaurants, baked in a bag, yumm. It's sweeter than Flounder to me. Most of the local grocery stores here carry it in their seafood dept.

It's one of the few fish I can keep down, LOL.

Paula, where have you been?

obviously ~ NOT eating tilapia! :couch2:

You are right Pat, this fish is so light and flakey I had no problems with it either. Not even a "fishy" taste.

...but its the easiest thing to fix! Thats a BIG thing for me.

Lent starts in a couple of weeks. We usually eat more fish during this time frame for a means of depriving ourselves of good food ~

Im not sure if Tilapia can be on the lenton menu.... :phanvan

Wet the fish, shake off the excess Water and dredge it in a combination of soy flour (lower in carbs than regular flour), seasoned with season salt, garlic powder and cyanne pepper (just a little goes a long way)

Then, spray it with olive oil PAM (Better than frying) and bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until done. I like to put it on a baking rack in the baking dish, so that it is not sitting in it's juice, and gets crispy on the outside.

Yummy, and really simple. I just made it last night. I couldn't eat it (I just got a fill) by my wife said it was great, and ate 2 servings.

Oh this fish is awsome, we cook it on the grill. Use some pam and place it on some foil (you can't put it directly on the grill, it will break into pieces). I also bake it. Add any seasoning you like, old bay, fish seasoning YUM!!!

You know what other fish is heavely .... Orange Roughy. If you ever get a chance to taste it, get some. Its so good.

Oh I love it....I have a citrus seasoning that I got at sams for it. It's great. If you lived closer I would give you a little to try. It's yummy.

Big Paul I think I am going to have to try it that way as well...

Never thought of putting salsa on it..

I just love new ideas..

Orange Roughy is just as good, doesnt taste as fishy. Little more expensive however. Both are great broiled with little butter and lemon pepper or just spray with pan and broil.....(great on grill outside also on foil). It is light and flaky and very yummmmmmmy

Wet the fish, shake off the excess Water and dredge it in a combination of soy flour (lower in carbs than regular flour), seasoned with season salt, garlic powder and cyanne pepper (just a little goes a long way)

Then, spray it with olive oil PAM (Better than frying) and bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes, or until done. I like to put it on a baking rack in the baking dish, so that it is not sitting in it's juice, and gets crispy on the outside.

Yummy, and really simple. I just made it last night. I couldn't eat it (I just got a fill) by my wife said it was great, and ate 2 servings.

Paul, do you spray the whole fish fillet..both sides???and the pan???Where can I find soy flour??I don't know my way around a kitchen!!LOL

Whole fish, both sides, yes. If you put it in the pan, spray the pan, if you put it on a wire rack in a pan, spray the rack too. It will almost "fry" in the oven.

You should be able to find soy flour in your supermarket, in the baking section near things like buckwheat flour etc.

BTW... this same method works well for chicken.

For Catfish, also a great fish to eat, you have 2 options.

1. Do what I describe above, but use 1/2 cormeal and 1/2 soy flour

2. Dip the catfish in buttermilk, then dip in the flour mix, then dip back in buttermilk, and then back in the flour. Pan fry this in a little olive oil. mmmmmmmm good. Serve with red hot sauce (Red Devil) and provolone cheese melted on top.

Here's another fish idea...

Prepare the fish as I mentioned in my first post here. Serve it over spaghetti noodles (Dreamfields is great low-carb pasta). Top with some provolone and mozzarella cheese, and then a helping of marinara suace... fish parmesan!

Whole fish, both sides, yes. If you put it in the pan, spray the pan, if you put it on a wire rack in a pan, spray the rack too. It will almost "fry" in the oven.

You should be able to find soy flour in your supermarket, in the baking section near things like buckwheat flour etc.

BTW... this same method works well for chicken.

For Catfish, also a great fish to eat, you have 2 options.

1. Do what I describe above, but use 1/2 cormeal and 1/2 soy flour

2. Dip the catfish in buttermilk, then dip in the flour mix, then dip back in buttermilk, and then back in the flour. Pan fry this in a little olive oil. mmmmmmmm good. Serve with red hot sauce (Red Devil) and provolone cheese melted on top.

Here's another fish idea...

Prepare the fish as I mentioned in my first post here. Serve it over spaghetti noodles (Dreamfields is great low-carb pasta). Top with some provolone and mozzarella cheese, and then a helping of marinara suace... fish parmesan!

OK now I'm hungery! I am going to write this all down so when I get to my 4-6 month time I will make it.How do you tolorate cheese?If you eat about 1/2 of a fillet do you feel full??

I love to make ceviche with tilapia fillets.. I cut the fillets into small cubes and put lots of lime juice and a little white vinegar enough to cover the fish, the lime and vinegar combination actually cook the fish. I let this sit in the fridge for about 4 hours and then chop onions, tomatoes, jalapenos and cilantro and combine it all.. It is delicious, salt and pepper to taste, serve over tostadas or saltines, delicioso!!!

I have no trouble with cheese. IN these cases, I would use shredded, and chew it all up well.

I make 2 small fillets. 1 for the wife, and the 4 year old and I split the other. I usually can't finish my half.

Unfortunately, I am still on liquids until tomorrow, then on to mushies. Hopefully I'l start back on solids on Sunday, then maybe I'll make fish again!