Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Already facing band-bias

I went to my first nutrition class earlier this week. As I sat waiting with the other women we began discussing the surgery type we were going to have. I said that although I was very early in the process, I was strongly leaning toward the band. One of the women blurted out "Oh, that's the bad one." I really didn't know how to respond but said something like "Well different procedures work for different people." I have noticed that most of the patients are either by-pass or sleeve. I don't know if this particular woman's attitude is common but I have a lot of group meeting (support group, nutrition classes) to attend before my surgery date and I don't want to continually have to defend my decision. Any suggestions?

I have been banded since 6/29/11 I have lost 28lbs and I do not regret my decision to be banded.

Hang in there and do what is right for you

I went to my first nutrition class earlier this week. As I sat waiting with the other women we began discussing the surgery type we were going to have. I said that although I was very early in the process, I was strongly leaning toward the band. One of the women blurted out "Oh, that's the bad one." I really didn't know how to respond but said something like "Well different procedures work for different people." I have noticed that most of the patients are either by-pass or sleeve. I don't know if this particular woman's attitude is common but I have a lot of group meeting (support group, nutrition classes) to attend before my surgery date and I don't want to continually have to defend my decision. Any suggestions?

I am sorry for the attitude you had to face. I would never let anyone cut out and reroute my body parts. The band has more success long term than by pass. Yes by pass looses quicker, but recent studies say more is lost with band over the long haul and weight stays off better with the band. Make sure you educate yourself so you can make you good infromed decisions. Also I have heard that people strecht out their small by pass pouch and gain all that weight back. Then the also go in for banding.

Each of the surgery types have their place, and those who are mentally gearing up for a certain surgery will naturally want to promote their surgery as the best one to have. You handled it just fine. People who say things like "Oh that's the bad one" are obviously uninformed. Consider the source, stay confident that you're making the right choice for yourself, and prove them wrong by kicking ass in the weight loss department.

If there is a next time, and someone makes an unthinking comment like that, laugh out loud, look them right in the eye, and say, "Yep, my surgeon and I have agreed that banding is the right choice for me. Tell you what - let's get together in five years, and compare notes. I'd love to know how your journey goes, and I'll tell you all about mine. After we've both lost our excess weight, does it matter how we each got there?"

And then you can relax, knowing you'll never have to deal with dumping syndrome, malabsorption, malnutrition, chronic diarrhea, and a host of other issues bypass patients have to deal with. If the worst you'll deal with is getting temporarily stuck if you eat wrong, or possibly a PB once in awhile, it seems like a lot less of a challenge to live your daily life.

food for thought: You'll notice they're starting to offer lapband to lower BMI people to help them lose weight. You don't hear of them offering sleeve or bypass surgery for lower BMI people. Seems to me banding is a better option for more people. Consider the source.

Stay strong, and stay committed to what's right for you. And if you need inspiration, check my ticker numbers. This thing works fine, if you manage it right. My numbers are as good as any bypass patient, except I'm healthier than I've been in years. Most bypass people can't say that. ;)

Good luck!

Dave

Same thing happened to me at my support group meeting!!! I just kind of sat and said different strokes for different folks!! Plus, I guess everyone has to feel stronge about their own decision..:))

same thing happened to me except it was a nurse that told me I should get the bypass not the band, also the first doctor I saw said the same thing but guess what I ignored them I decided to get band which I did and it has been two week already I have lost 13 pounds and will continue... I like a challenge so I did what i wanted. Like someone mentioned I didn't want any piece cut or removed from my body. Let it be what God wants that what I say.

I ran in to the same thing at a WLS convention. They really did think they were better than me. Why because they spent more money? They had some body parts taken out? I was very shocked at those people's comments. They even talked about moving to another table since we were banded people and they were bypass people. The convention was for people with all types of WLS.

But I also attend a WLS support group where people have the band, or they had the band and changed to the bypass, last week one had their band removed and got the sleeve, but were are all respectful of each other and their choices mined is the Band.

Cheri

The hospital support group is for all WLS patients but there were only a few bands at the first one I attended. I think once I get banded I will look for a different groupin the are that is just lapband patients.

I have been banded since 6/29/11 I have lost 28lbs and I do not regret my decision to be banded.

Hang in there and do what is right for you

You sound like me! I've been banded for 6 weeks, lost 22 pds but I wouldn't change it for the world. I'm eating less, and smaller portions, and started the gym and I feel amazing.

There will always be negativity out there, do what is best for you. I researched everything prior surgery and picked lapband for myself.