Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had the choice of either band, but my surgeon said he liked Realize better because it's low pressure and his patients have better success with it than with the LapBand. I don't really think there's a huge difference between the two.

Deb, CONGRATULATIONS!

Take it easy for now.

Steve

My surgeon just uses LapBand. He said he sees fewer erosion issues with the new Lapband.

i'm facing the same choice and don't really know what to decide. i have a choice between the allergan lapband 10 or 14 OR the swedish band (SAGB, not the realize band- don't know if it's an older version or what, but the doc specifically indicated it's NOT the realize band). :Banane37: all the research i found seems to indicate there's no major difference in postoperative weightloss and complication between these two (SAGB and allergan). i was reading that the realize port is not sewn in and there's less port site pain...but i worry that might mean the port could move around or flip- i don't know if the same applied to the SAGB, but if so i think i might go with the allergan band if that's the case. my biggest concern is the port showing after i lose weight- i'd like the one with the lowest profile port since all other things seem equal...

I asked just this question to the head surgeon at Rhode Island Hospital during an "Ask the Doctor" session this past Wed. He was VERY honest and did not lean towards one over the other. He stated that any stats you see on a website are most likely going to be geared towards the band that is sponsering that report. The thing with stats is that you can pick and chose what you want in order to make your product seem better. The Surgeon said that each has had it's down falls, but with recent updates to both systems, they are on a level playing field overall at this point. So as far as "which band do I chose?" don't worry about the claims you see on each site, since in the real world, they both do exactly the same thing to the same level of effectiveness, look at the extras that come with it, (support features) and decide what is going to be better for YOU to use.

Pretty much, bottom line, each works just as well as the other. All the "Allergen is less forgiving than Realize" "Realize is more adjustable than Allergen" it's all just marketing, don't ever forget that these companies are trying to make money, so of course they will all always be better than the next, just like any other product that does the same thing. If you have a choice, make your choice based on support features. If you have the option to let your doctor chose, that works well also.

i'm facing the same choice and don't really know what to decide. i have a choice between the allergan lapband 10 or 14 OR the swedish band (SAGB, not the realize band- don't know if it's an older version or what, but the doc specifically indicated it's NOT the realize band). :Banane37: all the research i found seems to indicate there's no major difference in postoperative weightloss and complication between these two (SAGB and allergan). i was reading that the realize port is not sewn in and there's less port site pain...but i worry that might mean the port could move around or flip- i don't know if the same applied to the SAGB, but if so i think i might go with the allergan band if that's the case. my biggest concern is the port showing after i lose weight- i'd like the one with the lowest profile port since all other things seem equal...

The SAGB / Swedish band *IS*(should be) the realize band, unless you are getting the surgery outside of the United States, unless I'm mistaken, the FDA only has approved Realize and Allergan lap band systems. I would ask the doc again what "brand" the SAGB is...

I hate to say it, but some docs do get more money to implant one band over the other.

The SAGB / Swedish band *IS*(should be) the realize band, unless you are getting the surgery outside of the United States, unless I'm mistaken, the FDA only has approved Realize and Allergan lap band systems. I would ask the doc again what "brand" the SAGB is...

I hate to say it, but some docs do get more money to implant one band over the other.

i am outside of the US, so it's the SAGB. he doesn't seem to favor one or the other, so i guess i'll just go with the port profile as my deciding factor. :P

I am now banded!! I was scheduled for October 17th but the surgeon was way behind and had to reschedule for October 19th. The most problems I have had is getting the liquids I need to stay hydrated. Also I don't think I am getting enough calories since I have been light headed a few times and had to lie down to avoid fainting. I am also tired a lot; I know that some of that is healing from surgery but I am not getting much done with my class (I am working on my Master's Degree online). I will be glad when November 7 gets here; this is the last day of this class and I am taking a three-week leave of absence from school. I really need a break because I am getting burned out.

Debora

weight.png

Congrats on your new band!!!!! OMG if my surgery was put off for two more days I think I would have gone crazy. Please remember to take your post-op Vitamins. I have a clear gallon pitcher of Water I refill each night. Due to it being clear every time I look I can see if I am on track or behind. I also bought a special mug that makes me feel good to drink from. I know all about school I just got my teaching degree. Keep up the good work.

Since quitting diet soda I bought the Thermos Intak Water bottle at target for $10 I LOVE IT!!! Its BPA free, spill proof, has a loop you can easily carry everywhere and the best part there is a dial on the top there is a rotating part (meter) that lets you keep track of how much you drink. Its 24oz bottle and you can track 6 refills on the bottle itself.

Congrats on your new band!!!!! OMG if my surgery was put off for two more days I think I would have gone crazy. Please remember to take your post-op Vitamins. I have a clear gallon pitcher of Water I refill each night. Due to it being clear every time I look I can see if I am on track or behind. I also bought a special mug that makes me feel good to drink from. I know all about school I just got my teaching degree. Keep up the good work.

If you just want an opinion I would choose the AP LapBand, The few friends that I have that have the Realize Band were given a 14cc Band and it takes them forever to get it filled to a point that helps them lose weight. Myself and my other friends have 10cc Allergan lap band and have seen to do better. That is totally just my thoughts not backed up by anything but what I have seen. Do the research, but here is my two cents.

If you just want an opinion I would choose the AP LapBand, The few friends that I have that have the Realize Band were given a 14cc Band and it takes them forever to get it filled to a point that helps them lose weight. Myself and my other friends have 10cc Allergan lap band and have seen to do better. That is totally just my thoughts not backed up by anything but what I have seen. Do the research, but here is my two cents.

I have the Allergan lap band and it is 14cc's. The dr determines the size by how much fat you have around the stomach itself not by the brand of the band. I believe the Realize band comes in 9 and 11 cc sizes, it doesn't even come in a 14cc. True that it takes a little longer to find that green zone but my surgeon is a little more aggressive with fills to get me there quicker. I was banded 9-12-11 and have lost 32 lbs, I am not in the green zone yet for sure but I am comfortable at the pace I am losing weight.

I have the 4 cc BAND and it works nice.

Just by reading posts, and researching, and talking to the Surgeons..

I would go with the LapBand.

If you move into another state, some places won't fill the Realize Band.

I went to a fill center, and they would not touch me if I had that band.

That was a couple of years ago, could be different now.....

I also see it's been recalled ! That would send up a RED FLAG to me.

You can google it and see what's up with it, but I would think twice.

Just my 2 cents added in.

It's totally up to you.

Good Health to you, Shirley.

The recall on the Realize band isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. There was a potential for kinking of the hose.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/118330-recall-relize-band/

But just and FYI, Allergan Lap-Bands have had recalls too, for failure of the fill port.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4386446/Allergan-amp-Realize-bands-recall-information/

The recall on the Realize band isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. There was a potential for kinking of the hose.

http://www.lapbandta...ll-relize-band/

But just and FYI, Allergan Lap-Bands have had recalls too, for failure of the fill port.

http://www.obesityhe...ll-information/

I have the 4 cc Band, and have never had a problem with the port, or any other part of the implant..

Only problem was do to bad aftercare from the surgeon.

Well, like I said. It's your choice.

Again I would do my research, and talk to the DR.. Also inquire about

if you move,,, is there a problem getting the Realize Band filled ?

Because there was for a long time...

I haven't been banded yet. Will see the surgeon this Tuesday and find out my date. I don't have a choice as they only use the Realize Band.

date

For those of you who have had it done, which band did you choose and why? My physican and office staff said either is fine. They are leaving it up to us the patient to decide. Please help me decide. Is there a pro or con to either selection. What made you decide which band to choose. Thanks for any help. Hubby is being banded Oct. 21 and I hope to be in Nov/Dec depending on insurance approval. Thanks for all your help and advise.