Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bulimia After LapBand

Wanted to get some feedback/support on my after LapBand bulimia. I had LapBand surgery 3 1/2 years ago and lost all of my weight (120lbs) in the first 2 years. The first year I followed the rules, ate very little and very rarely threw up but did on occasion when I accidently ate too much. By the 2nd year, I started to eat more knowing I would throw up but my mind was just still so hungry and it perpetuated into full blown bulimia. Now keep in mind that I NEVER sufferered from Bulimia prior to LapBand. I would have never considered throwing up on purpose back then.

Now, for the last year or so, I will eat anything and everything that I want, knowing that I will simply throw it up and will never gain another pound as long as I have my LapBand. My LapBand has facilitated my bulimia. I am now starting to feel the effects of it on my esophagus, teeth and gums. I have started therapy for my eating disorder and am considering having the LapBand removed but scared to do that as I know I will gain the weight back because I don't have my eating disorder under control but doubly scared that keeping the LapBand will lead to severe probs w/my esophagus. I also suffer from acid reflux and chronic heartburn. The doctor put the smallest band on me, I have never had a fill, it is still tight so the only remedy would be to remove it as it cannot be deflated.

I know that everyone is different but an eating disorder is an eating disorder with or w/out the LapBand. Prior to my LapBand, I was an emotional over-eater. Still am but now I am an emotional over-eater w/a LapBand and bulimia. The therapy I have started seems slow and not helping me but maybe it will in time.

Any other post LapBand bulimics out there who can offer some suggestions/support?

I believe that this is the reason that Sharon Osborn had her lapband removed! I, sometimes, force my self to vomit, but it is not because I eat whatever I want. I just sometimes know that what I ate won't pass thru, so in order to avoid major discomfort, I will force vomit! I do not consider myself bulimic! If that is what your problem is, then you probably do need to remove it, and go thru nutritional therapy! Good luck. Karen

Thanks for your response Karen. I started out exactly that way w/inadvertently over-eating and throwing it up to prevent the discomfort, just seems that from there it perpetuated over the years into something that I now have no real control over. I will sincerely eat knowing that my Band will not tolerate it and knowing that I can throw it up but I appease that food craving for the moment.

How long have you had your LapBand? There has got to be good Band succes stories from those who have had their bands a few years w/out the probs that I am facing now.

Perhaps you should get counseling and talk to someone BEFORE you go through surgery to remove the lapband. If you can work through your emotional issues, perhaps you can use the lap band properly and work with it - and not abuse it.

That said, I have had the lap band 8 months and understand what you say - there have been times when I thought that the lap band was a huge "gate way drug" to bulemia. I could NEVER throw up pre-band, just couldnt. Now if I eat the wrong thing, or too much it literally forces me to throw up. I am learning to not over eat and not eat the wrong things but it is hard. I think that we all struggle in our own way. I am sorry you have developed an eating disorder, but over eating is a disorder too - I would get counseling before you go through surgery again.

best of luck to you.

Thanks LosingItAll for your response. I am currently in therapy for my eating disorder as I want to make the right decision before I make my final decision about the LapBand removal, but I still question therapy as so far, it has made no difference. I have always had an eating disorder as I mentioned above. Pre LapBand it was emotional over-eating which is what made me fat. Post LapBand it is still emotional over-eating w/the LapBand which has turned into bulimia because my band will not tolerate it...not a new eating disorder, just different outward results of the same eating disorder.

I know that I cannot be the only one in this situation and hope that I find someone who has had this prob and has overcome it and will share their story.

Good luck, Victorialeigh. I agree. it can be threatening! I sometimes get the same feelings. But, I don't throw up all the time, and can stop myself from over eating. I am 2 years out as of Oct 30 this year. I think there must be success stories. I think Alex , the forum starter is a success story. Karen

Hi there VictoriaLeigh,

I feel for you. I am a recovering compulsive overeater, anorexic and bulemic. I go to Overeaters Anonymous to deal with the emotional side of my eating and I am happy to say that my eating is in control for today. I see a therapist a couple of times a month and go to 2 meetings a week. It has taken me 2 years to stay ahead of my eating disorders but it is worth it and so am I....and so are you! All that purging is harming your body....with or without the band. You can cause all kinds of electrolyte abnormalities, you could rupture your stomach or esophagus, rot your teeth, etc. The band is just a tool, the work that we all have to do lies within us.

Maybe you should check out an OA meeting??? Go to OA.org to find a meeting you can go to or even a phone meeting where you can stay in your home and listen to a meeting.

Good luck. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I have stood in your shoes and it always looks impossible but it isn't.

Take care,

Katie

I got on this site hoping to find someone with the same issue as me! I had lapband in 2008.( I weighed 272 lbs. I now weigh 171. Goal weight is 160......) I did the same thing occasionally throwing up if I knew something wouldnt got down. That worked for a year or so but now I am full blown bulimic. I will eat whatever I want knowing I can just get rid of it. I never had a problem with bulimia before lapband. Now its just SO EASY! I hate to say it but i enjoy eating what i want and KNOWING i will not gain weight. However, after almost 2 years I am feeling the effects and need to stop. Easier said than done. I can't stop. I have an apt on Tuesday to have everything pulled out of my band in hopes I will not be able to throw up anymore. I really dont want to but know I HAVE to or I am going to eventually kill myself with this disorder.

Well, since writing on this site, I have had to have corrective surgery. I ended up with a virus, and real vomiting. I had a slippage and had revision. But, the good news is, I have not had to vomit, or forced myself to vomit in over 2 months!!!! You can do it, you may have to loosen your fill, and start over like I did, but you can do it, too! Karen

well I go tuesday to have everything taken out so I can start all over. I need to work on Portion Control. im nervous.

If you continue to wretch your band will slip and it will have to be removed consider that you will still need it removed if you continue down that path. Get some help and I hope you succeed in this. You conquered obesity you can conquer this too.

yea I am aware of the possibility of tje band slipping but I guess after 2 years its not a fear anymore. and thats not good.

I had the band unfilled no more puking! yay! so far so good.

I had all of the Fluid in my band removed. My surgeon was such a jerk about it that if he was the only Dr I could see I simply would not see a Dr. I do not envision EVER returning to his office. I had an abdominal x-ray (no slip) and a complete un-fill. I throw up now more than ever. It has gotten WAY out of hand and I'm starting to feel fatigued due to all the vomiting. I trained for a triathlon in the summer and ended up never competing due to this issue. (not being able to keep enough food down/not enough nutrients, fatigue, training schedule started slipping due to fatigue and dehydration.)

The un-fill did not solve my problem at all. I'm considering going back to therapy.