Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you drink anything while you eat?

This is a challenge for me. I love to drink while I eat! Just talking about tea or Water. My doctor said not to so my food doesn't liquify therefore staying fuller longer. What do you do? Thanks!

My surgeon said the same thing. No fluids half hour before a meal and a half hour after. I was told it washes away the nutrients you get from food. I don't have a big problem with it. I have eaten meals without having something to drink before. Sometimes I miss it.

I don't drink while I'll eat. It was a very hard change to make, but now that I'm used to it I don't miss it at all. I really do suggest you try to learn to do it!

After quitting Diet Soda cold turkey, this will be my next thing. Hopefully by the time I have the surgery, I will be able to not miss Diet Soda and eat without drinking. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

It was also a huge challenge for me. I have always drank a big glass of ice Water with my meals, but not now. My surgeon said it's a huge no no, so I don't.<_<

It was explained to us by the physicaans nurse. She said to imagine a funnell filled with applesauce or baby food. It will just sit here and move slowly , but if you add Water to it, the food will go out of itquickly, This allows more to be added. Thefunnell is like your stomach. I also had a sister tell me that if we add Fluid while we eat it interupts the enzimes in our mouth that starts proper digestion. Remember the band is just a tool. We have to do it 100% to get the results we want. The little things make a the difference between loosing at all or staying the same. Happy loosing.

I haven't really found it difficult yet to not eat while drinking and I have always had a diet pepsi or two or a couple of glasses of iced tea with my meals. I want to be successful at this and know that it is a big no no, so I just figure it is what I should do.

I was surprised at how easy this one actually was because I always drank Pepsi Max or Diet Coke with meals. Now I drink so much Water between meals that I don't notice not having any at meals. As a tip, when I am eating out, I just pour a glass of Water to two-thirds full to stop people offering me a drink. It's still there at the end of the meal.

The hardest part is not drinking half an hour before - I have to remember to stop sipping!

It was explained to us by the physicaans nurse. She said to imagine a funnell filled with applesauce or baby food. It will just sit here and move slowly , but if you add Water to it, the food will go out of itquickly, This allows more to be added. Thefunnell is like your stomach. I also had a sister tell me that if we add Fluid while we eat it interupts the enzimes in our mouth that starts proper digestion. Remember the band is just a tool. We have to do it 100% to get the results we want. The little things make a the difference between loosing at all or staying the same. Happy loosing.

I have the opposite effect. I CANNOT drink while eating or else it will all come back up!

When I eat, with the level of restriction I have, the food passes through the band very slowly, forcing me to eat small amounts and slowly. If food is sitting in the upper pouch, like a slow drain or funnel, adding Water to this will add to what is sitting there and make it back up and overflow.

I like the slow drain analogy best. Think of a sink, with water sitting there because the drain is clogged. It does go down, but slow based on the amount of clog (restriction) Turn on the faucet and add water, the drain can't keep up and the sink will overflow!

It is like this every time I eat. I do not have anything to drink anywhere near me. If I do, I will have to run to the bathroom. Simple.

Many things I have learned, little sayings, rules, theories, etc, have become normal, natural facts of life for me since reaching that true "Green Zone"

I don't drink while I eat. And I don't drink for at least 30 mins. following. No issues there.

Because I am new to the band (2 months), I sometimes forget and drink right before I eat. I've heard different theories from different doctors about drinking before you eat. Some say 30 min. before (my doctor included). Some say you can drink right up until you eat.

I would rather err on the side of caution with this one.

My surgeon doesn't want me drinking 30 minutes before, during and 30 miutes after a meal and I'm another one who drank a ton with my meal before surgery. I do pretty good with not drinking while I'm eating or 30 minutes after but I've never even tried to not drink before eating. There are a few times when I do drink while eating...if the food is spicy then I take small sips of Water but I find that if I take a big sip then I can feel it start to back up on me (and that doesn't feel good at all).

It really takes a conscious effort to not do it...don't even put a drink on the table (and if you go out don't order one and don't let them bring you a glass of Water either). Then, when you finish eating check the time so you know when you can drink again (it helps if you keep busy clearing the table, washing dishes, etc).

Good luck!

This is a challenge for me. I love to drink while I eat! Just talking about tea or Water. My doctor said not to so my food doesn't liquify therefore staying fuller longer. What do you do? Thanks!

i Agree with the others I was brought up in a Italian family always lots of food and lotrs of drinks(Ice tea, soda. etc etc ) plus a giant pitcher of Water on the table.....this is the hardest thing for me personally,,,,,, It has been two years since my surgery and I lost over 150 lbs... and I still havnt learned .... I still do at times drink right after or sometimes duriing my meals..... and I regret it I feel bloated and sometimes I bring up the liquids.... I always say im never gonna do it again i will wait the half hour till i drink......dont know when ill ever learn... I try and drink plenty of liquids well before my meals sao im not as thirsty at meal time,,, it helps a little......im slowly getting there but this is my only real trouble ive been having....