Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Smokers out there?

Hi,

I've been a light smoker for a few years now about 3-5 cigs in a day...I had my surgery about 10 days ago. For the first 6 days i didnt smoke. But, it's really hard. I've been taking a few puffs and then putting it out. How are you coping if you are a smoker? I wish I can quit cold turkey...but it is so hard but think about food, being hungry, not being able to eat...and not being able to smoke...

Im a smoker; are we supposed to quit for surgery? (besides the typical 'its bad for you')

Hi,

I've been a light smoker for a few years now about 3-5 cigs in a day...I had my surgery about 10 days ago. For the first 6 days i didnt smoke. But, it's really hard. I've been taking a few puffs and then putting it out. How are you coping if you are a smoker? I wish I can quit cold turkey...but it is so hard but think about food, being hungry, not being able to eat...and not being able to smoke...

I did continue to smoke after I had surgery eventhough I told my doctor I would quit. I agree it's hard. I did try, but it became overwhelming with everything else I had to focus on post op. I figured once I got the groove of being banded, I would quit...and I did. I smoked my last one on 8/17. I didnt do it cold turkey, I had help with Chantix. I don't even have the desire to smoke or even smell it. I recommend it to anyone trying to quit. Good luck!

well iuse to smoke but now it leaves a realy bad taste in my mouth.

I had to write and sign a letter to my surgeon stating that I quit, the date I quit and that I would not start again. I did quit 12/14/10. I snuk a few during a hard time and he told me I shouldn't be smoking at all b/c it can cause band erosion. I don't necessarily know how or the facts but that's all he had to say. Everything I went thru to get it. I'm taking no chances w/ my band. It sounds funny about the letter and all but he was named Top Doc in south jersey a few times in the past few years so I just do what he says. Good luck and congrats on being banded : )

Speaking of smoking.. This is really to all of you that replied - My surgery is pending the end of the month - getting nervous - I have my pulmonary clearance and all but still worry - I am trying to quit to but it's hard - nightmares with Chantix.. Anyway, did any of you have complication with surgery due to your smoking - I am at a 1/2 pack a day right now and I like I said I worry - maybe just getting apprehensive the closer it gets that its all in my head but how did you all fair...I keep telling myself that they perform surgery on people that are a lot worse off than I am and they survive - my husband was one of them...I don't know, could use words of encouragment I guess - Thanks for your post.

I had to write and sign a letter to my surgeon stating that I quit, the date I quit and that I would not start again. I did quit 12/14/10. I snuk a few during a hard time and he told me I shouldn't be smoking at all b/c it can cause band erosion. I don't necessarily know how or the facts but that's all he had to say. Everything I went thru to get it. I'm taking no chances w/ my band. It sounds funny about the letter and all but he was named Top Doc in south jersey a few times in the past few years so I just do what he says. Good luck and congrats on being banded : )

Bander11,

STOP SMOKING!!!

Or at least cut down, a lot.

J

I am a smoker.....who tried very hard to quit 4 weeks pre surgery, as instructed by my Surgeon. It was a pathetic effort really lol.

I cut down, but never actually gave them up. As mentioned by someone else, my plan is not to have gone through all of this and then die from something I can change!!!!

So, my plan is also to quit once I get my head around my new lifestyle and can start hitting the gym.

I was originally banded on 15/8/11, but had a major slippage around day 4 post op....so was re banded on 20/09/11.

All is good now!

Good luck!!!

I just quit smoking after 30 years, I wanted to quit and that made things easier. I used acupuncture to do it. I visited a doctor of Chinese medicine 3 times and now consider myself a non-smoker. It's been 4 months since my last cigarette and I feel GREAT! You should try it, it worked for me.

Hi,

I am a smoker to... Its hard to quit a hand to mouth addiction like smoking when u cant put food hand to mouth. I habe been on Chantix for a couple of months but I was only taking it once a day,.it helped me cut back a lot. 2 weeks ago my mom, a smoker of 40.yrs, was diagnosed with cancer of.the kidney. Kidney cancer is linked to smoking, I know I was shocked to, & its also hereditary. So none the less I increased it to 2 times a day, like ur supposed to take it, & I am down to 1~2 cigs a day.

Fact is u wont be sucessful with quitting unless u r.totally prepared for it. U have to do it for urself! Just like getting the lap band to help u loose weight & be healthy... Only u can make those decisions...

I have sucessfully quit in the past, for 4 months, but for.some silly reason I started again. I rember how good I felt & how nice it was to be able to walk up a flight of stairs without being winded! Its well worth it, its just hard to get there :(

Hang in there everyone, who is trying to quit that is ;)

Thanks for your support everyone. It is so hard to just quit overnight. But the important thing is we try to cut back. I smoke about 2-3 cigs a day ( maybe more if I am frustrated)...sometimes I didn't smoke any. After the surgery I didn't smoke for about 6 days. But, let's all really try to cut back by one, if you're smoking over 5. Slowly but surely we can do it!

I quit smoking with an e-cig. I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 16yrs. Check out the forum http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/

I use this:https://www.cignot.com/product_p/kit-ebt-all.htm

I am a smoker...I told my surgeon from day 1 that I was a non smoker. I had my last smoke on Sunday and surgery was on Tuesday, not that it made any difference I'm sure. mellow.gif I tried smoking one yesterday and couldn't. My lungs hurt like crap and it was hard to take an entire drag...that's the only time I've attempted to smoke since surgery Tuesday. i don't plan on doing it anymore, I know as soon as I'm ready to go to the gym it'll be that much harder on my body if I'm smoking. I also bought an ecig...it's not the same but I absolutely does help when you just want a drag.

CONGRATS to those you who have quit and good luck to those of us who need to quit!