Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, I thought only my boys thought about this, but I have to ask. I am 6 days postop and haven't gone to the bathroom. I know this shouldn't be my first thought, but I think it's time. I'm drinking the Water, Clear Liquids, full liquids...doing what I'm suppose too, but no results...to include walking. Any advice here would greatly help. I don't want to get my stomach rolling if I just need to be patient.

My doctor recommended Milk of Magnesia which I took on day 5 after surgery to help me go. Contact your doctor and I am sure they will tell you what they would like for you to do.

If I were you, I would definitely contact your doctor. I went through the same thing. The end result was, I ended up in the ER which was very embarrassing. I was so plugged up it was ridiculous!!!! I was given Miralax and after 2 enemas I was finally relieved. I did try a suppository and milk of magnesia at home prior to going to the ER. Everyone is different. Make sure you drink all your required fluids and take a Fiber supplement. I use benefiber and mix it with some juice. If you are using a narcotic, that may be binding you up also.

My doctor also recommended Milk of Magnesia if I couldn't go for more than a few days. I was told to avoid anything harsh like Ex-Lax.

I am Post Op Day 3 and I have no problems going. My doctor recommended Colace (stool softner) starting today. If you are really unsure, I would call my doctor for advice.

In my opinion, laxitives are probably going to be your best friend as long as you have a band. I am almost 3 months post op and have to take laxatives on a regular basis or else I don't go without them. When you eat so little food there's not much going on down there, so it could take while. I don't feel like waiting, and I don't lose weight unless I go!

Okay, I thought only my boys thought about this, but I have to ask. I am 6 days postop and haven't gone to the bathroom. I know this shouldn't be my first thought, but I think it's time. I'm drinking the Water, clear liquids, full liquids...doing what I'm suppose too, but no results...to include walking. Any advice here would greatly help. I don't want to get my stomach rolling if I just need to be patient.

Really?! Glad I read this. I went day 2 and nothing since I'm now on day 8. Yikes! I guess I just figured since I'm still on liquids?? No??

I agree with talking to the doc. I was fast to try and make myslef go to bathroom and it didnt end well! I ended up with the runs. Just try and use something like benefiber in your shakes and just stool softener. Doc says this is normal remember your normal rhythem is thrown off by the surgery and air the pumped your stomach with etc. ALSO doc told me you really dont have any solids in there to push out! drinking shakes, broth etc does not bind you up. In my case once I started with more textured foods it came more naturally. 1st couple of weeks your on a liquid diet and I was on liquids close to pre op. so go easy.

I used supppositories-dulcolax and they worked well.If I had to do it all over again I would have taken a laxative prior to the day before surgery like my surgeon's office suggested.

My doc didn't want me taking laxatives, only stool softeners (like miralax). Good luck!

I got my band on 5th Ocober I took a mild herbal laxative it was six days before I managed to go, however it was normal and painless.

I meant to say stool softener not laxative-No you don't want to take a laxative becasue you may redecorate your surgeon's office.stick t the tool softeners they are much more gentle/less explosive.