Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. My name is Joe and I have just gotten out of surgery five hours ago. You can read "My Introduction" in the introduction section if you care courious of my back story.

For the most part, I feel good. Still a tiny bit nauseous from the anesthesia but I am up and walking around. I woke up in a daze with extremely friendly nurses helping me if I needed. I luckily got a room to myself. My wonderful girlfriend has been right by my side every minute. I am seriously thirsty. Only thing I can do is wet my lips with some Water. Tomorrow morning I will take an x-ray to make sure I am good to go then I can go home. I am very excited to start my journey and lose weight!

If anyone has any tips for the hospital portion of this adventure, please let me know. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. Until next time.

Hi Joe, I don't have any advice since I'm going to be banded on Friday. I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! :D

Congrats! Enjoy the down time and get some rest! Your body needs it! Keep walking every couple of hours, it helps with the GAS! Good luck on your journey!

Hello all. My name is Joe and I have just gotten out of surgery five hours ago. You can read "My Introduction" in the introduction section if you care courious of my back story.

For the most part, I feel good. Still a tiny bit nauseous from the anesthesia but I am up and walking around. I woke up in a daze with extremely friendly nurses helping me if I needed. I luckily got a room to myself. My wonderful girlfriend has been right by my side every minute. I am seriously thirsty. Only thing I can do is wet my lips with some Water. Tomorrow morning I will take an x-ray to make sure I am good to go then I can go home. I am very excited to start my journey and lose weight!

If anyone has any tips for the hospital portion of this adventure, please let me know. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. Until next time.

Joe, Dr. Strom is my Surgeon as well. He is wonderful! i was banded 8/31 at mountainside hospital. Good to hear your surgery went well. I have to give you credit for being up and blogging already :) ...all i wanted to do was sleep in the hospital (of course that didnt happen). I had the worst case of dry mouth too after surgery, i was in heaven when they gave me that little green sponge and mouthwash to use! You will have that xray very early tomorrow morning.. you have to drink some barium drink that is god awful. If the xray is good, you should be discharged by 11. They may bring you some broth and Water too. Take it easy and if you have any gas pain ( i had it bad) walk around the hospital floor. Good luck to you!

Hi Joe, Congrats on the biggest step of your life change. I was in the hospital 3 days. Your mouth is dry from the pain meds, you are nauseated and might get dizzy because of the pain meds because you have nothing in your stomach. They should get you something for nausea. Yes walk when you can. Each time I walked I got nauseated but kept going. Ask then nurse for one of the sponge sticks to wipe your mouth often. Ice chips help too. I just went to my 2 week post op and lost 14 lbs - so see what you have to look forward to. Make sure you drink a lot of fluids and get your Protein in and you will do fine. My recover was slow but everyone is different so listen to your own body and pace yourself. Best of Blessings to you!

I amazed and humbled by the great responses I have been getting from everyone. I am glad people who have recently went through this are helping me in any way possible. I also hope that anyone looking into getting banded, may get some insight from my posts.

As of now I am just laying in bed dozing in and out. I feel pretty good all things considering. I have walked around multiple times and sat up in a nice chair. I used those funky green sponges for my terrible dry mouth. I have only had to use my morphine about 10 or so times. I try not to use it because my mother used it so much when she got hers done that she stayed nauseous for three days. I only use it when I need it. I tend to get some gas/pain on my left side by the port. I feel better every hour.

Here's a slight update. I didn't sleep great because of the gas. I recently went for my x-ray and everything seems great. I am now very slowly eating some Jello and broth. Every time I swallow I seem to get a crampy feeling in my stomach. Anyone else have this problem? Once I get some food down I am out of here!

Congrats! Invest in GAS-X for the gas pains. They were a life saver for the 2 weeks recovering.

Hi Joe, You've probably have a bit of a sore throat as well, from the intubation tube you had to help you breathe during surgery.

Just keep it as wet as much as you can. Mine went away in three or four days. Good luck.

Take it easy, try to rest and heal, but also get up and walk a bit every hour. That really chases the gas away. sounds like you're doing well. I went home the same day and it was nice having my recliner. I slept in it or a few days because it was easier to get out of and less gas because I was sitting up more. Good luck to you!