Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op diet/ post op eating/ and ugh!

So I am at day 4 of pre op diet. The first few days ,while 'interesting' in trying to make my best choices and obstain from things that seemed to be SCREAMING my name, didnt seem too bad. I was able to make homemade Mac N cheese for my family and Enchiladas for my husbands work potluck and it didnt bother me at all. Then comes today.... My kids asked for Arbys and since that is the usual reward for them behaving when we have to go out to the store or daddys work I told them sure. Now, normally I like Arbys too, but today even the smell wafting from their bags made me nauseous! When I got them seated and they were eating I wanted to steal a drink of their soda (which I do NOT normally have anyway) and then all of the sudden I thought "Holy Cow! How am I going to do this Lap Band thing if I want everything I see!". I know that I will be able to eat when banded, and I know that it is not a starvation diet but to have everything in moderation, but wow am I scared of the desire to eat and not be able to and give up on my band or live life in a state of utter grumpiness because of not having the things that I am used to. Please tell me it gets easier to give up things or at least to be happy with a bite or 2!!

I'm waiting for the answer to this from those already banded as "inquiring minds" want to know too!! This is day 9 for my pre-op it got easier after the first 3 days. I'm down 13 pounds since I started that keeps me encoouraged!! But I do wonder if the mind will stay that focused after I'm banded. Oct 4th. Countdown.....good luck with every thing

So I am at day 4 of pre op diet. The first few days ,while 'interesting' in trying to make my best choices and obstain from things that seemed to be SCREAMING my name, didnt seem too bad. I was able to make homemade Mac N cheese for my family and Enchiladas for my husbands work potluck and it didnt bother me at all. Then comes today.... My kids asked for Arbys and since that is the usual reward for them behaving when we have to go out to the store or daddys work I told them sure. Now, normally I like Arbys too, but today even the smell wafting from their bags made me nauseous! When I got them seated and they were eating I wanted to steal a drink of their soda (which I do NOT normally have anyway) and then all of the sudden I thought "Holy Cow! How am I going to do this Lap Band thing if I want everything I see!". I know that I will be able to eat when banded, and I know that it is not a starvation diet but to have everything in moderation, but wow am I scared of the desire to eat and not be able to and give up on my band or live life in a state of utter grumpiness because of not having the things that I am used to. Please tell me it gets easier to give up things or at least to be happy with a bite or 2!!

The pre-op diet is tough. I did well the first couple of days too but after about the third or fourth day I was over it. I stuck with it

though and everytime I felt tempted to eat something solid or I couldn't have, I would go to a clothing store and look at clothes that

were smaller in size as a way to talk myself out of it.

I've got my two week follow up appt tomorrow, and I am praying I can move onto mushies. I can't handle the liquids any more. I had a 3 week preop diet, all liquid which I had a hard time to start with, then it got to be routine, and then I had to gag them down with a huge glass of Water for the last couple of days. The week after surgery I wasn't too hungry, but the past week has been one of the hardest weeks of my life. I have cheated a bit, I advanced myself to cottage cheese, which I was not supposed to eat, but have tolerated it well. I also broke down and had scrambled eggs for Breakfast yesterday. Unfortunately they were from McDonalds, and they did not taste very good. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow will be my day and can go out for a fish dinner!

I started on my 1200 calorie diet 2 weeks ago. I was a big Coke and Sweet Tea drinker and I can say after 2 weeks I have no desire for either one of them. This past weekend we went to the Fair and I broke down and bought a small coke, I threw it away, it was so sweet that I thought I was going to be sick. I have found unsweet tea with splenda takes care of the sweet tea urge. Counting down the days until the 18th of October!!

It does get easier. Please remember however that it will take you several fills before you get restriction so this will be a will power diet to start. Regarding "being satisfied on a bite or two" my doctor would not agree with this statement. He does not approve of Snacks. He would say to choose reasonable food choices; eat 3 oz of solid Protein and some low fat veggies. So at Arbies they have roast beef right? So you'll be able to eat the meat but not the bun (I CAN eat bread just choose not to); and a side salad. Don't plan on being satisfied on 2 bites for dinner in reality you will be eating much more than that (3 oz of protein should take you way more than 2 bites.)

I was more refering to a couple of bites of a "treat" instead of a huge portion not like as a meal. I do understand the eating Protein first and veg/fruit, I am just wondering about the being able to pass on the sweeter things (or for some savory treats) and being able to have a small portion as in a bite or 2 so that you dont feel deprived of such things yet you are not giving up on your band and weight loss.

I've discovered now that I'm at restriction when I see available food (snacks/treats at work) I ask myself "are you hungry enough to eat that? I think about it, consult my stomach and 95% of the time say "Not really". The band helps me feel satisfied, and lowers my motivation to eat something. I'm sure I do eat less dessert (when I have it which is VERY rare). I feel like the band helps drowned out the "There's food to be had, I should eat it just becuase it's there" voice; because it's helping with the physical hunger. Head hunger remains. When I'm bored at work my mind wanders to food. I KNOW I'm not hungry. Which is why I don't keep Snacks (even healthy ones) at my desk.