Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post op 4 days and feeling too full to drink

I had my surgery on Sept. 22 and now 4 days out I am so full feeling all the time it's impossible to hydrate. I am constantly bloated and feeling very uncomfortable. I was hoping to be out and about by now but at this point I just dont want to feel like I'm going to explode every other minute. Anyone else experiencing this? Will this go away? I so don't want to end up in the ER for IV hydration.

Congrats on the surgery!!! I am 4 months out and well so far so good. Started at 219 and am down to 189! I will never forget that first week. I was SO tired, So bloated, So full feeling, and had enough gas to fuel a jet engine I think :) I was told to drink SMALL sips, and as many as my body would let me. That made all the difference in the world I think. I didn't really get out of the house until day 6 and that wasn't very long. your body needs to get LOTS of rest this first week. I walked every couple hours around the house for about 10 - 20 min even though it about killed me. I wasn't taking the chance with blood clots. Drink even if you feel full. You have TONS of swelling still and that won't go down for a couple weeks or even months. You will know if there is a blockage if you throw up. By the way, throwing up is so different after surgery. (it will kill right after your surgery, but so different in a good way). You will do great!!! Don't be afraid to call your Dr. about any questions you may have. That is what they are there for :)

I had my surgery on Sept. 22 and now 4 days out I am so full feeling all the time it's impossible to hydrate. I am constantly bloated and feeling very uncomfortable. I was hoping to be out and about by now but at this point I just dont want to feel like I'm going to explode every other minute. Anyone else experiencing this? Will this go away? I so don't want to end up in the ER for IV hydration.

Congrats on the surgery!!! I am 4 months out and well so far so good. Started at 219 and am down to 189! I will never forget that first week. I was SO tired, So bloated, So full feeling, and had enough gas to fuel a jet engine I think :) I was told to drink SMALL sips, and as many as my body would let me. That made all the difference in the world I think. I didn't really get out of the house until day 6 and that wasn't very long. your body needs to get LOTS of rest this first week. I walked every couple hours around the house for about 10 - 20 min even though it about killed me. I wasn't taking the chance with blood clots. Drink even if you feel full. You have TONS of swelling still and that won't go down for a couple weeks or even months. You will know if there is a blockage if you throw up. By the way, throwing up is so different after surgery. (it will kill right after your surgery, but so different in a good way). You will do great!!! Don't be afraid to call your Dr. about any questions you may have. That is what they are there for :)

Congrats to you as well!! Great job! So glad to read your post, made me feel like there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel. Thank you!

I felt that why after surgery as well. I also had surgery on the same day, but I was determine not to let the pain win...by Friday evening I drove to walmart....Saturday morning did 4 laps around the track at a good pace. The more u move the better u feel. I thought I had a problem with getting liquids down so I would take a few sips, maybe let Water sit in my mouth and spit it out so that it wasn't as dry. But u will be okay..good luck

Completely normal. Just drink what you can and don't worry about it. The swelling will go down before you reach the point of needing to be hospitalized.