Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting talked out of Surgery on Obesity Help

hey pats fan! you and me were in the same boat. I thought that lapband would make it easier for me to lose weight. I have yet to experience that. Sometimes I do feel as if this has been a waste. I havent had any complications or vomiting. I feel fine. I've been banded for a month now and do feel a bit disappointed. I did have my first fill already and still struggling. Please choose carefully and think if you can lose without the band then do it.

I am a disgruntled bandster for sure. I too was told that I was the perfect candidate, but I am a slow slow loser and despite me working out 4-5 days a week and eating healthy and under 1000 calories I still havent lost the magice 1-2lbs a week. I'm going for my 2nd fill in a week or so. Once again not hungry, just being told that a fill is a good thing. Ask your surgeon what is his pre-op dietary requirements after you can eat solids. I suggest if you are doing the same diet then think twice about the lapband. But yeah Gastric Bypass hasnt even once crossed my mind, No way!

hey pats fan! you and me were in the same boat. I thought that lapband would make it easier for me to lose weight. I have yet to experience that. Sometimes I do feel as if this has been a waste. I havent had any complications or vomiting. I feel fine. I've been banded for a month now and do feel a bit disappointed. I did have my first fill already and still struggling. Please choose carefully and think if you can lose without the band then do it.

I am a disgruntled bandster for sure. I too was told that I was the perfect candidate, but I am a slow slow loser and despite me working out 4-5 days a week and eating healthy and under 1000 calories I still havent lost the magice 1-2lbs a week. I'm going for my 2nd fill in a week or so. Once again not hungry, just being told that a fill is a good thing. Ask your surgeon what is his pre-op dietary requirements after you can eat solids. I suggest if you are doing the same diet then think twice about the lapband. But yeah Gastric Bypass hasnt even once crossed my mind, No way!

I'm sorry you are feeling frustrated so far! I've been told that the first month is about healing and body adjusting, and not to expect much by way of weight loss during that time. I've been told by my surgeon I should be eating 12001400 calories post-band, just as I would on a weight loss program without the band, but the band assists with the hunger factor in a reduced-calorie diet. I've read for years(on all sorts of exercise and weight loss forums) about people not losing weight with a calorie intake of less than 1200 minimum per day especially while exercising. I know every surgeon is different; did he/she tell you to aim for less than 1000 calories?

At any rate, try not to be discouraged.. I know I'm not in your shoes (yet) but have faith that with exercise and mindful eating change will come!!

Thank you. I'm interested in reading the article you cited but couldn't find it in the July 2011 JAMA issue. Is it possible it was another month/ publication? I currently work in a hospital and they're laying around everywhere here - just don't have time to look through them all for the article so thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Here's the complete article, hope this helps:

Long-term Outcomes of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding

Jacques Himpens, MD; Guy-Bernard Cadière, MD, PhD; Michel Bazi, MD; Michael Vouche, MD; Benjamin Cadière, MD; Giovanni Dapri, MD

Arch Surg. 2011;146(7):802-807. doi:10.1001/archsurg.2011.45Objective To determine the long-term efficacy and safetyof laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) for morbidobesity.

Design Clinical assessment in the surgeon's office in2009 (ge.gif12 years after LAGB).

Setting University obesity center in Brussels, Belgium.

Patients A total of 151 consecutive patients who had benefitedfrom LAGB between January 1, 1994, and December 31, 1997, werecontacted for evaluation.

Intervention Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding.

Main Outcome Measures Mortality rate, number of majorand minor complications, number of corrective operations, numberof patients who experienced weight loss, evolution of comorbidities,patient satisfaction, and quality of life were evaluated.

Results The median age of patients was 50 years (range,28-73 years). The operative mortality rate was zero. Overall,the rate of follow-up was 54.3% (82 of 151 patients). The long-termmortality rate from unrelated causes was 3.7%. Twenty-two percentof patients experienced minor complications, and 39% experiencedmajor complications (28% experienced band erosion). Seventeenpercent of patients had their procedure switched to laparoscopicRoux-en-Y gastric bypass. Overall, the (intention-to-treat)mean (SD) excess weight loss was 42.8% (33.92%) (range, 24%-143%).Thirty-six patients (51.4%) still had their band, and theirmean excess weight loss was 48% (range, 38%-58%). Overall, thesatisfaction index was good for 60.3% of patients. The quality-of-lifescore (using the Bariatric Analysis and Reporting Outcome System)was neutral.

Conclusion Based on a follow-up of 54.3% of patients,LAGB appears to result in a mean excess weight loss of 42.8%after 12 years or longer. Of 78 patients, 47 (60.3%) were satisfied,and the quality-of-life index was neutral. However, becausenearly 1 out of 3 patients experienced band erosion, and nearly50% of the patients required removal of their bands (contributingto a reoperation rate of 60%), LAGB appears to result in relativelypoor long-term outcomes.

<br clear="right">Author Affiliation: The European School of Laparoscopic Surgery, Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Saint Pierre University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium.

The truth is OH is very anti-band. The anti-bandsters pretty much ran off all of the pro-bandsters. So while there are certainly valid reasons to be concerned about outcomes, and slips, and erosions, I would take OH with a grain of salt. You're hearing from the vhement ant-banders and the people who have had bad outcomes and not really from those who are happy with their bands.

This study was completed by people in Belgium who had it 17-14 years ago? I would think A LOT of advances have come along since then. I know now they use a differnt technique to help avoid slippage then they did back then. I wouldn't base my decision on such old data since we are constantly fine tuning the procedure to make it safer and more successful.

Also their percentages are flawed. They were only able to get 50% of the bandsters to compare. So when you see 47% were satified that means 47% of the 50% that participated. Too many variables and too small of a study if you ask me-and agian-far too long ago.

Here's the complete article, hope this helps:

Long-term Outcomes of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding

Jacques Himpens, MD; Guy-Bernard Cadière, MD, PhD; Michel Bazi, MD; Michael Vouche, MD; Benjamin Cadière, MD; Giovanni Dapri, MD

Arch Surg. 2011;146(7):802-807. doi:10.1001/archsurg.2011.45Objective To determine the long-term efficacy and safetyof laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) for morbidobesity.

Design Clinical assessment in the surgeon's office in2009 (ge.gif12 years after LAGB).

Setting University obesity center in Brussels, Belgium.

Patients A total of 151 consecutive patients who had benefitedfrom LAGB between January 1, 1994, and December 31, 1997, werecontacted for evaluation.

Intervention Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding.

Main Outcome Measures Mortality rate, number of majorand minor complications, number of corrective operations, numberof patients who experienced weight loss, evolution of comorbidities,patient satisfaction, and quality of life were evaluated.

Results The median age of patients was 50 years (range,28-73 years). The operative mortality rate was zero. Overall,the rate of follow-up was 54.3% (82 of 151 patients). The long-termmortality rate from unrelated causes was 3.7%. Twenty-two percentof patients experienced minor complications, and 39% experiencedmajor complications (28% experienced band erosion). Seventeenpercent of patients had their procedure switched to laparoscopicRoux-en-Y gastric bypass. Overall, the (intention-to-treat)mean (SD) excess weight loss was 42.8% (33.92%) (range, 24%-143%).Thirty-six patients (51.4%) still had their band, and theirmean excess weight loss was 48% (range, 38%-58%). Overall, thesatisfaction index was good for 60.3% of patients. The quality-of-lifescore (using the Bariatric Analysis and Reporting Outcome System)was neutral.

Conclusion Based on a follow-up of 54.3% of patients,LAGB appears to result in a mean excess weight loss of 42.8%after 12 years or longer. Of 78 patients, 47 (60.3%) were satisfied,and the quality-of-life index was neutral. However, becausenearly 1 out of 3 patients experienced band erosion, and nearly50% of the patients required removal of their bands (contributingto a reoperation rate of 60%), LAGB appears to result in relativelypoor long-term outcomes.

<br clear="right">Author Affiliation: The European School of Laparoscopic Surgery, Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, Saint Pierre University Hospital, Brussels, Belgium.

Have you ever found yourself losing weight, only to gain it back, and maybe more ! Maybe you have done this more then once in your life.

So be honest with yourself when you answer this question.

Do you really think that you can lose all the weight you need, and keep it off ?

If you say YES ! Then I would ask you "why are you even here ?"

If you can't, and you know its the truth.... Then your not alone at all.

Thats why we belong to this site, and are Banded.

You mentioned Mal-absorption,,, That does not happen with the Band. That's Bypass, Doudonal-Switch, Fobi Pouch,and the sleeve.

This Band if you ever have problems It can be fixed. A New Band, New Parts, Even a adhesive added in the event they think their might

be a Leak.. If worst case scenerio, you can have it removed.

If you go to a Center Of Excellence you can ask your surgeon if he stitches the band in the stomach, were slippage is prevented.

Mine is, and I have not had a problem with that at all. Even the people that have had a slip, they have it fixed. Because the Band works !

It's not a bad way of life at all. Sure adjustments on your behalf, and you will get use to a new way of eating, along with foods that are good for you.

In time "not much" you won't even miss the junk food or bad habits that you have. They will just kind of fade away. Some take longer then others,,, but still, their gone.

I hope you read my post, and I hope this answers your questions.

You started this for a reason, don't let someone scare you, ask your surgeons opinion also. They can educate you with FACTS....

Shirley.;)

This study was completed by people in Belgium who had it 17-14 years ago? I would think A LOT of advances have come along since then. I know now they use a differnt technique to help avoid slippage then they did back then. I wouldn't base my decision on such old data since we are constantly fine tuning the procedure to make it safer and more successful.

Also their percentages are flawed. They were only able to get 50% of the bandsters to compare. So when you see 47% were satified that means 47% of the 50% that participated. Too many variables and too small of a study if you ask me-and agian-far too long ago.

I have to agree with your assessment of the study. Europe in general has had many more problems with their lap band patients- I can't remember from my reading if it was technique, device or both.

I know it would be great to see some date from within the past 8-10 years using patients who had the LapBand or Realize Band put in to get more accurate data about outcomes.

I just got banded Monday so I really don't know much or have any experience.

But, there are two things I DO know......... After 15 years of being a fat ass I finally admitted I could not lose the weight on my own............. I did not want to do something drastic that would permanently alter my digestive system and could not be reversed.

So I went with the band.......fwiw

Okay- everyone has a different story and you can't do what doesn't feel right for you.

1. My band and I work well together. I was was banded June 9, 2010 and I weighed about 263 heading into surgery. It is 14 months later and i weigh 161. I was a size 22 ( very tight) now its a loose 12

I am almost at my 1 year point and have lost over 70lbs. lap band my not be for everyone but it was the best option for me and I have no regrets. There are side effects to everything, including weight loss surgery but I took my odds with the risk and benefits of lapband compared to a continued life of obesity. The internet will tell you just about anything you want it to pro and con about weight loss surgery. Even this web site has hundreds of people who have struggled with the lap band, but they also struggled or struggle with their obesity. You and only you can make the right decesion for your weight loss journey, not a blog site, a friend or a doctor but you, You need to make the best sound decesion you can based on what facts you have and than make your decesion work for you. Good luck on your journey but please know this is a journey and not a get thin quick solution, it takes dedication and determination becasue the band can only be a tool in your weight loss.

Pats fan, yes my dr says under 1000 calories. No more than 1200.

With the band not hungry at all. I think the band can work miracles for those that overeat or have poor eating habits. The band has helped me eat way less, but as for the weight loss it's the same plateaus and stalling I had when I was eating low carb at 2000 calories a day.

My surgeon says healing period is 2 weeks. I get my 2nd fill on the 11th. It was the pre and post op diet that made me lose the weight I have, plus Water weight.

So of u feel thay eating is not your issue then I recommend rethinking your reasons for getting the band and proceed with caution. I'd rather be able to eat low carb, 2000 calories, work out 4 days a week and lose 1 pound every 2 weeks them have the lapband, eat 800 calories, watch my portions, Protein etc,work out hard 6 days a week then stall for 2 weeks.

I wish someone had told me this and talked me outta it.

Just a suggestion: Don't go on there any more.

Well, before banding I knew how to eat healthy also. In fact I lost 45 pounds doing Weight Watchers but I was hungry all the time and I couldn't keep it off. Now I've lost almost 80 pounds and kept it all off.

For me surgery was easy, I never needed any pain meds and I was back up chasing my kids around 2 days later. My blood work is all good and I've gotten rid of my high blood pressure, sleep apnea, extreme pain in my knees, and I have much more energy now.

I have had a few problems with food getting stuck and swelling but all in all, I would definitely do it again if needed. My surgeon says to eat around 1000-1200 calories a day. Most days I eat around 1500 though and I know I should exercise but I don't, not on a regular basis anyway. I'm working on that though.

I know 5 other ladies who have been banded for 6 years now. They are happy, healthy and have had no problems.

Good Luck to you no matter what you decide.