Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FEELING DISCOURAGED :(

Run. Fast. Sounds like something is up. Many, many band surgeries are done outpatient. My first cut was at 12:00 PM, and I was home and in my own cuddly bed by 3:30 PM. Unless you have very significant medical problems (heart conditions, for example), don't be afraid of outpatient. Be afraid of that center. Go with your gut...I backed out of a surgeon a week before surgery because I had a strange feeling, found a great place, and am super happy with that choice.

So, why are you here? This is a forum for lap banders and the support thereof. If you do not "approve" of lap band surgery perhaps you would be better suited posting somewhere else.

I would love to know the answer to that too.

SM you obviously have some agenda. Instead of hiding behind negative posts come out with it. If you have had a bad lapband experience tell us what it is. Or are you just trying to promote another type of WLS? If so fine but then tell us which one and why so that we can make our own decisions. Or maybe you are working for a surgeon and trying to promote him/her?

Whatever please be transparent. If you are against the band that is your prerogative but making veiled comments that don't really tell us anything weaken rather than strengthen your argument.

That is a very reasonable question. I got interested in WLS because I desperately needed to lose weight and had heard about the band. My PCP was even on board with that too, as he really didn't know of any other surgeries, and I was classed as morbidly obese (co-morbidities plus weight) I did a LOT of reading, sifting though these forums, trying to judge the accuracy and honesty of the posts, trying to sort out what is just advertising and what is real and important information, trying to find factual information like studies and reports. I came across so much information that suggested that the band was an advertising success, but not much of a long term real success. I went to my local medical group WLS seminar and was very disappointed that none of the risks and problems that I now knew were a part of getting banded were mentioned at all. It was 18K, 500 a year for fills and any complications were extra. It was a sell job by DOCTORS to make money from the insurance companies. The people there were tired of the struggle, wanted an answer and were hanging on every word. I opted for another surgery, VGS, and am two months out from that. I come here occasionally to try and help inform those that I feel are being taken in by the medical community because they are infatuated with the dream of successful WLS. I don't want that dream to be crushed with suffering. I can understand that I am ruffling feathers, but I am trying to help those that I feel need to be exposed to more information than they have gotten - not criticize those who took another path.

This is a forum for people with the lap-band or are thinking of getting the lap-band to get support and information from people that have the lap-band. You don't..... you have your opinion, go on a VGS forum and talk about it. I don't think anyone here looking for support cares what your opinion is. You don't have any experience with the band so go be negative somewhere else.

I agree this is not the place to debate the band. There are other forums for this, however, in respect to smkeller's input, I think doctors need to be up front with complications and their own success rates on lapband surgeries. I did much internet research before proceeding with the surgery and everything scared the heck out of me prompting me to cancel my surgery once. Something that you have not mentioned though is that there have been great improvements to the band and the surgical technique. Not to say that this eliminates complications and there is not enough long term data yet, but, many of us have made the decision to go lapband because it is removable and there is no re-routing of the inside plumbing. In addition, I personally know a few people that took other WLS routes and a couple are miserable and two of them have stretched their stomachs and have gained most if not all of their weigh back and now have no other choices. I do understand that weight gain can also happen to banded people, but, there are options and the band is adjustable.

Here's my story.

I started my WLS journey research with the gastric by-pass procedure and was to go that route, however, along the way I met 2 of the people mentioned above at which point I started looking at the lapband and found it was the best fit for me and only because I did not want permanent routing of my intestines. That's just me though and I respect any of the WL surgeries. The final goal regardless of which route we take is "getting healthier" to live a longer and fuller life.

Words of encouragement to mstrustar2730. Yes, death is a possibility as in with every surgery, however, lapband is less invasive and usually done as a day surgery. Death from a lapband surgery is minimal and is usually not from the procedure itself, but from surgery complications. After I did all my research on the lapband I discovered that a co-worker died from the surgery and I cancelled my surgery a 2nd time. Well, after asking more questions it turns out that he had heart complications and the surgery was never performed. I, as you thought it was a sign and should not proceed. My support system was awesome and with prayer and encouragement I went forth. Best darn thing I have ever done for myself and as I always say live for today and if complications come later on, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I am convinced that lapband has saved my life. I was in trouble medically taking 8 prescribed medications and am down to 3 for blood pressure. Would i do this again? ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Jake

Wow.....that article was scary! I would check to see if the surgical center is a Center of Excellence and research the Surgeon a little more. When I met with my Surgeon last week she said that the Death Rate for Banding nationally was 1 in 3,000 and for gastric by pass it is 1 in 343 nationally.

Good Luck!

Thanks alot you guys I found out she had Other problems with her health as well so after long talks and Prayer i Decided to go ahead with it and Let me tell u it was the BEST thing I could have ever done. Im sooo happy I have not had any problems besides Gas and a lil chest pain but other than that It was a Success and i already lost 10lbs in a week So thank you everyone with all of ur kind and encouraging words of wisdom im SoOO Happy my confidence is starting to come back everyday i step on the scale an see lbs jus going away FOREVER im still young (25yrs) and i have alot of life left in me to let it stop now So again Thank U everyone. God Bless :D

Congratulations to you!!!! And the best is yet to come! jake

I'm so happy you decided to go ahead with the surgery, I said a prayer for you as well. Good luck and I can't wait to Join you

I guess we all want to get this surgery FAST but sometimes its best we take our time and do all of the tests required. My surgeon requires an overnight stay at the hospital. Even though I would rather sleep in my own bed, I dont mind being in a place where I could be monitored. Good Luck!

THANK U RN2012 REALLY APPRECIATE IT ILL PRAY FOR U AS WELL

I'm so happy you decided to go ahead with the surgery, I said a prayer for you as well. Good luck and I can't wait to Join you