Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi all-checking in! banded in sept 2011. I am down 75lb. and am yoying on the last ten. i also had the plication. I have almost no worries about eating the wrong things because if I do I regret it imediately and can not keep it down! I guess it is a plus not to be able to deviate at all. I recently had to start adding the Protein Shakes because I have been really losing hair. Lucky I had a lot of hair to start. any really great recipes? I have not been good at all at exercising. I need to start toning up. It is good tohear others are

Hello, Bandsisters!

Checking in at July call.

I did 100 lbs off, but every few pounds it stops, then half of it comes back, then I get upset - you all probably know the feeling, then I go and get another fill, loose again, and so on.. Almost the same yo-yo as it was before.

I am wondering what will I do when my band will be full ? I was and I still am a bad girl, as can't miss the cake, or sweets, or...caviar toast with butter. Can't do anything with it. I am so bored with Protein Shakes and chick. broth(((

Hello, hello! I'm checking in also. If you read my previous post you know I've been dealing with a broken/dislocated ankle. I had surgery to repair the damage but I'm still looking at a very long recovery period. I've had to basically start over with my fills as I had to have everything taken out for the surgery. I got refilled a bit a couple of weeks ago but know already that I need more. I think I've been maintaining my weight loss but can't tell because of the huge heavy cast I'm wearing. My clothes are fitting the same so I feel ok about my weight at this point. Sure hope everyone else is doing good as well!

Checking In again!

I'm down almost 70 LBS since surgery on Sept 10 2011 with a few days to go until my first bandiversary, and I feel great! My rate of loss has slowed considerably, but is still going down. My bmi is down to 27 and my next goal is to make it down below 25.

I no longer feel like I'm on a diet and feel that I have changed my eating habits and relationship to food. The band helped but isn't the whole story. I no longer obsess about food as I did before surgery when I thought about food about 95% of the time. At this point I rarely have stuck episodes and can eat most things - just a lot less. I eat lots of veggies' Beans and other Protein rich foods such as Quinoia. I cook a great deal (and carefully portion my food before eating) but also eat out a great deal. What has changed the most is my head!

Mostly I just try to make the best choice I can and eat much less at each meal. I am the queen of doggie bags! I'm not perfect in my choices but try the best I can and then let it go. I try not to engage in self recriminations which I find are self defeating.

How are the other September 2011 bandsters doing?

Lisa in a quiet labor day weekend in NYC.

Petey,

That is a question you should really ask your surgeon. Each person is different, depending on their age, sex, initial weight, medical history, etc. For me, I started at 223 and my ideal weight (not necessarily my goal) is 140 which would bring my BMI to below 25 and in the normal weight range. Therefore, for me, 70 lbs is 31% of my original body weight, and 82% of my excess body weight. It might not be the same for you, or anyone else.

My doctor tells me that on average, LGB patients loose between 40 and 50% of their excess weight, less than the by-pass or sleeve patients, and the weight loss is slower. As you can see, I have done much better than average, but I believe the hard part is just beginning -- to maintain that loss over the long haul. As I said, everyone is different, and I wouldn't compare yourself to someone else.

I also highly recommend that you try and get a handle on why you overeat. As you will see from real life, and reading these forums, it isn't difficult to overeat with the band with some foods. For instance, I could probably eat a gallon of ice cream and my band wouldn't stop me. Or drink milkshakes, eat rich puddings, etc. For me, I have been working with a psychologist at my Bariatric Center to deal with my "food issues", and I really think this has been a big part of my success to date, and hopefully will help me in the long run. I'm not perfect with my eating, or anything else for that matter, but I'm miles ahead of where I was before surgery. I also know that eventually, my stomach will get used to the band and the appetite suppression it provides will not be as strong as before.

The way I look at it is that the band provides the "training wheels" while I learned to eat in a more healthy, resonable and responsible way. However at some point those wheels will come off, and I had better have learned how to eat and nourish myself for the rest of my life. I do not want to have to do this again!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents! :)

Lisa on a rainy post-labor day in NYC

Happy Anniversary to all of yall!!!! I can not believe it has been a year. Last year at this time I was choking down nasty shakes for my pre surgery diet. Oh it was so worth it! My lifehas and is changing so much! I am dating more and hiking more and just loving life more in general. I am down almost 70 pound and have at least another 50 more to go. I hope you are all loving life and the new you as much as me!

Happy Anniversary to all of yall!!!! I can not believe it has been a year. Last year at this time I was choking down nasty shakes for my pre surgery diet. Oh it was so worth it! My lifehas and is changing so much! I am dating more and hiking more and just loving life more in general. I am down almost 70 pound and have at least another 50 more to go. I hope you are all loving life and the new you as much as me!

You go girl!

I'm back. It is hard to believe it has been 16 months since banding! I've lost 65 pounds, but have basically plateaued in the last 6 months. I just got a fill yesterday and am definitely feeling a difference. I started running last summer and actually ran/walked a 5k. Then I developed a bladder problem and that slowed me to a stop. I'm told it is more age related, not weight loss related. Now that its under control, I'm starting back to my exercise. Winter is just not cooperating!

While I haven't loss weight recently, my clothing size is smaller,so I'm guessing in dealing with the weight of muscle compared to fat.

What I m struggling with is a change in surgeon, as mine moved out of state. I within the same center, but the difference in philosophy is creating stress. I think he is basically anti-band and pro- bypass. Anyway, he's telling me that revised stats show only 10% of banders achieve weight loss goals! Ad that many are having the ban ere moved and getting bypass done because the band hasn't worked. My band has worked, and I know that with a 65% loss of pounds over target, I'm ahead of the stats. But it still bothers me. Have the stats changed? Is the success rat less than we were told two years ago? Are the failures due to those who don't follow the guidelines? (That is what my first surgeon said- that the total stats included tho who drank their calories, didn't exercise, and didn't use the band as a tool to change behaviors)

What are all of you hearing? How are you doing on weight loss continuing the second year? Are you struggling or is it going the way you thought?

I have lost almost 135 lbs in those 16 months but laterly, started gaining back. And by today I already gained back around 10 lbs. I am not following any strict diet, but I had never followed that before either. And it worked. Not any more. Anyone having similar problems?

Hey everyone! Just wanted to touch base. I have hit the plateau that everyone else was talking about. I am at 85 pounds down. So close to 199 i can taste it but cant seem to get there. My success has inspired a very good friend to also get a band! Hope everyone is well. Any advice for the plateau? I considered a fill but due to bad heartburn after moving (was told due to change in barometric pressure?) i actually had a .25 cc pulled! Guess this is a sign that I need to get serious about a work out plan. Ugh!