Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Erosion: Our OWN Statistics.

Scariest MicroFact so far.

Two people banded on the same day, one by Ortiz, one by Lopez, both eroded WITHIN 10 days of each other. I think it was 605 days installed vs. 608 days installed.

Dawg, I'm sure you realize that eroding isn't something that happens suddenly, right? It's probably impossible to tell when the erosion starts, in the vast majority of cases. So measuring the date the band was removed is sort of pointless, it would seem.

Dawg, I'm sure you realize that eroding isn't something that happens suddenly, right? It's probably impossible to tell when the erosion starts, in the vast majority of cases. So measuring the date the band was removed is sort of pointless, it would seem.

Of course I am entirely aware of all this, but it is a "microFact" that people can do with as they will.

I'm merely saying that to me - its alarming to see two bands, installed in one facility, go bad and need to be removed within a few days of each other. Of course, this doesn't indicate 'when' they went bad.

It also might be an interesting factlet (which is why I have it included) on just how long these folks have the band installed before it is removed. Right now that statistic doesn't mean much, but if each erosion starts falling into a statistical pattern (200 bands eroded with an average of 500 days for example) it might start proving useful.

The main point I have stressed (from the beginning) is that until there is a huge amount of data, all of the information isn't trully viable as a statistic.

So recording band removal date is actually usefull for me. Just like we've talked about on other threads, take what you want and throw the superfluous stuff away :D

Date banded 11/08/05

Where: Acuna, Mexico

Surgeon: Dr. JOSE Rodriguez (the OTHER Rodriguez)

Complications: None to date --- but erosions don't usually show themselves til 18 to 24 months out

Great to

Just posting this again as an attention getter for those who haven't contributed their info yet. The more people we have, the truer the stats will be. Everyone please take a moment and post your info. If you wish to keep it more private, send a PM to dawg.

Thanks!

Of course I am entirely aware of all this, but it is a "microFact" that people can do with as they will.

I'm merely saying that to me - its alarming to see two bands, installed in one facility, go bad and need to be removed within a few days of each other. Of course, this doesn't indicate 'when' they went bad.

It also might be an interesting factlet (which is why I have it included) on just how long these folks have the band installed before it is removed. Right now that statistic doesn't mean much, but if each erosion starts falling into a statistical pattern (200 bands eroded with an average of 500 days for example) it might start proving useful.

The main point I have stressed (from the beginning) is that until there is a huge amount of data, all of the information isn't trully viable as a statistic.

So recording band removal date is actually usefull for me. Just like we've talked about on other threads, take what you want and throw the superfluous stuff away :couch2:

I agree that all "little facts" are worth something. But knowing when bands are removed I don't think is relative, IMO. Unless lets say we know that an endo was done at 12 mnths out & than at 14 mnths out & inbetwn that time the erosion was found & band removed. We have no idea if an erosion starts w/in mnths of being banded or years. Its only when the patient goes in for an endo that any conclusion can be formed. I am totally aware that you've probably already thought of this through & think what your doing is FAB!!! But again unless we can pin point a fault in the instrument"band" from a particular batch or a fault in the technique "doc" I think when there removed may be a mute point.

Either or - Thank you for what your doing!

I agree that all "little facts" are worth something. But knowing when bands are removed I don't think is relative, IMO. Unless lets say we know that an endo was done at 12 mnths out & than at 14 mnths out & inbetwn that time the erosion was found & band removed. We have no idea if an erosion starts w/in mnths of being banded or years. Its only when the patient goes in for an endo that any conclusion can be formed. I am totally aware that you've probably already thought of this through & think what your doing is FAB!!! But again unless we can pin point a fault in the instrument"band" from a particular batch or a fault in the technique "doc" I think when there removed may be a mute point.

Either or - Thank you for what your doing!

My basic thought at this time is - get everything and discard stuff if its ends up having no relevance. At this time I am going to keep including it because it doesn't hurt. If (after we get enough data) it proves to be entirely superfluous, I'll either hide or remove it.

If however we find that every band that erodes will do so within X number of days, that 'could' be usefull. If it also turns out that all the bands erode within X time period - it will be usefull.

I appreciate everyones input but right now, I want to include everything that I feel 'could' become interesting.

If its presence actually bothers people, I'll keep it and hide it from ya ;)

Date Banded: May 12, 2005

Doctor: Dr. Layton O. Alldredge

Erodoed: Y/N NO

If Eroded Date Removed: Not Eroded

Comments: Excellent Doctor and after-care. Great progress, averaging 1.5 pounds per week, exactly as expected.

Kind of early yet, but here's my info.

Banded 1/25/06...no complications yet :-)

Country=USA

Dr Jayaseelan in Dallas, Texas

Guest DonnaCrosland

Hey there - I came up to this site to see these stats they are getting alot of talk on other boards. I noticed two surgeons on your list that are notorious for not posting complications. There is no good way to resolve this - as many folks are ask not to post complications by their surgeons - wrong but true.

One thing to think about when you view these - is that out of country surgeons (outside the US) have done many times over the number of surgeries that US docs have done and it is hard to compare the numbers.

Not sure how the best way to do this is - but I like seeing this type of information and really believe we need to see more of it.

Just a note - Inamed "requires" that surgeons report both slips and erosions and return the bands to them. I know surgeons that are not doing this - this hurts us! Please everyone - if you or someone you know has had a complication - please report it to Inamed even if your doc says he/she has done so!

Just my two cents worth,

Donna

Hey there - I came up to this site to see these stats they are getting alot of talk on other boards. I noticed two surgeons on your list that are notorious for not posting complications. There is no good way to resolve this - as many folks are ask not to post complications by their surgeons - wrong but true.

One thing to think about when you view these - is that out of country surgeons (outside the US) have done many times over the number of surgeries that US docs have done and it is hard to compare the numbers.

Not sure how the best way to do this is - but I like seeing this type of information and really believe we need to see more of it.

Just a note - Inamed "requires" that surgeons report both slips and erosions and return the bands to them. I know surgeons that are not doing this - this hurts us! Please everyone - if you or someone you know has had a complication - please report it to Inamed even if your doc says he/she has done so!

Just my two cents worth,

Donna

Thanks for both of those cents Donna. Any patient that doesn't report a complication to the world is doing themselves a dis-service. I am sure these surgeons also probably offer 'free' fixes etc to prevent the truth leaking out.

Whatever happens though I am going to rely on folks to just spread the data, remember - this is an anonymous poll. Noone can say who gave data if they do it in a PM to me :)

This study also isn't really intended to hold people accountable. Just... show what is going on in our small circle of friends.

Now, come on pokeys, get your data on the books :)

Banded: 12/02/05

Where: Harrisburg, PA

Doctor: Dr. DiMarco

Complications: None

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->