Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else with complications?

So, I had my band put in 2008 and thought everything was doing fine with it but for the past 2 weeks have been having the WORST pain in the upper stomach above the band. Had to go on all-liquid diet because solids just hurt too much.

Well, found out this morning after having tummy scoped that the band had basically worn through the stomach and has basically dissected it. I would post pictures, but they're pretty disgusting - you can see the gray band sitting half-way inside my stomach.

So next week I'm having the blasted thing removed, but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen before & could shed some light as to why this happened.

Thanks guys!!

Isn't that like Erosion? I know that happens in like 1 or 2% of patients.

I don't know, but everything I've read on the internet (gotta love all the self-diagnosis sites) shows erosion related to lap band slippage which leads to prolapse. I've done a loooooooot of reading these past weeks about everything that could go wrong with the band and so far haven't found anything where it shows the band cutting through the stomach wall. I'm just so pissed off that this was never mentioned in all the literature, all the warnings about lap banding.

I'll know more next week by hook or by crook just how this happened because I want to warn people if there's a danger or if there's something I did wrong, or not.

Erosion when the band goes through your stomach can happen. That is what most people mean when they talk about erosion.

I saw tons of photos of this and my doc and I talked about it.

Actually 4 months post op I was having a check up for another possible complication and my doctor found erosion instead. It was very small just 3mm in size and I had the band removed so my stomach could heal and then I got a new band a few months later.

Yes thats what they call erosion. They actually talk about it a lot. Our doctor refuses us to take pills without crushing them because it can cause erosion. The way he explained erosion is exactly what you said.

Have you taken anti inflamatories? Its another cause according to my doctor

Yes, been on anti-inflammatories for years before & after getting banded. And after researching this on the internet found that it could be a major cause of erosion as well as being banded too tightly. Never knew, never ever knew.

So we shouldn't take ibuprofen or anything on occasion? I had never heard of that but once you mentioned it I found lots about it online.

I'm really sorry you're going through all of this. Hopefully they get it taken care of and you feel much better very soon!

So we shouldn't take ibuprofen or anything on occasion? I had never heard of that but once you mentioned it I found lots about it online.

I'm really sorry you're going through all of this. Hopefully they get it taken care of and you feel much better very soon!

No nsaids of any type, this causes stomach irritation and decreases the mucus lining of the stomach. Be very careful because like I had mentioned before, I had been on anti-inflammatories for years prior and since being banded and with the band you don't (or at least I didn't) feel any irritation. Before being banded I'd been on a different nsaid for arthritis and had to stop because of heartburn and stomach irritation. Couldn't feel it though with the band, strange huh?

And thanks for the kinds words, can't wait to get it over with!

That's crazy because my lap band doctor told me to take ibuprofen for my gas pains after surgery... And also for port pain. Huh... Ya I definitely won't be taking it anymore :-/ that's scary.

I am so sorry to hear that. How come your surgeon didnt warn you about that, that blows my mind. My surgeon did say that most people having erosion don<t even feel it either.

It was the first thing said in the first seminar, because if you need to take anti nsaid, it was not possible to get the surgery. He said that if we have pills without crushing them, it could lodge itself in one of the plits created by the lap band and then make a hole, litterally. Again, he is the one who does most lap band surgery in Canada, and he has seen a couple.

I truely hope it gets better for you, and please let your doctor know how he is endangering his patients by not mentionning it. My surgeon gives his patient a special letter to give our doctors and pharmacist about the do s and dont s of medication after lap band.

I had to even discuss the surgery with my pharmacist to make sure all my medication was fine, had to change some of it, especially the one for Migraines.

Seriously, all the best, I hope it heals and you can find a solution.

I am so sorry to hear that. How come your surgeon didnt warn you about that, that blows my mind. My surgeon did say that most people having erosion don<t even feel it either.

It was the first thing said in the first seminar, because if you need to take anti nsaid, it was not possible to get the surgery. He said that if we have pills without crushing them, it could lodge itself in one of the plits created by the lap band and then make a hole, litterally. Again, he is the one who does most lap band surgery in Canada, and he has seen a couple.

I truely hope it gets better for you, and please let your doctor know how he is endangering his patients by not mentionning it. My surgeon gives his patient a special letter to give our doctors and pharmacist about the do s and dont s of medication after lap band.

I had to even discuss the surgery with my pharmacist to make sure all my medication was fine, had to change some of it, especially the one for Migraines.

Seriously, all the best, I hope it heals and you can find a solution.

This kinda made me curious so I dug out all my original paperwork from the surgery, thank goodness I'm a pack rat, and found a half-page sheet tucked in the middle which states 'Unsafe Medications Following LapBand Surgery'. And this was never discussed during the seminar before I got banded. Like you said, the only thing about meds was if the pill is too big & might get stuck you should either switch to chewables or cut them in half.

Oh well, like they say - If I can't set a good example, at least I can be a horrible warning!

That's crazy because my lap band doctor told me to take ibuprofen for my gas pains after surgery... And also for port pain. Huh... Ya I definitely won't be taking it anymore :-/ that's scary.

Just wanted to share this with you as I found this tucked away in my lapband folder:

Unsafe Medications Following LapBand Surgery: Avoid high doses, or continual low doses, of NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as Mobic, Motrin, Naprosin, Ibuprofen, etc. These are felt to be unsafe due to the risk of gastric ulceration. Check with your doctor before starting any steroid medication...

Wow... Good to know, thanks. I take ibuprofen very occasionally.... Maybe once a week... But still. I'm going to bring it up with my surgeon when I see him this week. Thanks again!

Just wanted to share this with you as I found this tucked away in my lapband folder:

Unsafe Medications Following LapBand Surgery: Avoid high doses, or continual low doses, of NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as Mobic, Motrin, Naprosin, Ibuprofen, etc. These are felt to be unsafe due to the risk of gastric ulceration. Check with your doctor before starting any steroid medication...