Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 years post op and struggling

I am just over three years post op and I need help. I'm heavier than I've ever been in my life (I'm 27). I haven't followed the eating/drinking rules and due to a job that didn't allow me to take a lot of time off, I wasn't consistent with seeing my doctor. I know how upset I am with myself but still choose not to do anything. I've recently started going to a therapist who has been helpful so far, but I'mstill just really angry. I can't bring myself to take that first step in starting over.

I was wondering if there's anyone out there who has gone through the same thing. If so, what helped you get through it? I don't want to go on living like this as I'm still young and I feel like my life is passing me by.

Thanks

I am just over three years post op and I need help. I'm heavier than I've ever been in my life (I'm 27). I haven't followed the eating/drinking rules and due to a job that didn't allow me to take a lot of time off, I wasn't consistent with seeing my doctor. I know how upset I am with myself but still choose not to do anything. I've recently started going to a therapist who has been helpful so far, but I'mstill just really angry. I can't bring myself to take that first step in starting over.

I was wondering if there's anyone out there who has gone through the same thing. If so, what helped you get through it? I don't want to go on living like this as I'm still young and I feel like my life is passing me by.

Thanks

Well it sounds like the therapy is a good idea. I think you need to make the commitment to this and go back to the doctor, get your fills and back on track. Don't look back it will just depress you. Don't give up either. I would also see if there is a support group in your area. That would be great for you. Good luck and don't quit.

I am sorry for your struggles.

I think therapy is the best thing for you at this point. The band can only do so much. It can't really help with the stress and emotional eating. Those are things you are going to need help to deal with and when you feel you have more understanding of why you go to food emotionally, then I think the band can be more of a tool that will work for you properly.

You need to see your doctor ASAP. You need to see what they can do to help you. Don't let this opportunity pass you by. You can do it. You have done it. Just do it again.

I hope you find what you are looking for. Just stay tough and don't live in your past. What's done is done and only thing we can shape is right now.

Good luck.

That's fantastic your in therapy. Glad it seems to be helping so far. Are you excersising? Please start if your not. Start out slow and gradually increase the intensity/duration of what your doing. As others have said, go see your surgeon. I understand it will be difficult because you've gained. It won't be the first time your doc. has seen this. You've got the tool, get fills until it's working for you. I wish you the best! You are way way way to young to feel like life is passing you by. Please keep us updated on how your doing.

I have a cousin, who had the band, who lost a good amt of weight then started having stomach issue which lead to an unfill & then she regained a large amt of weight. She to struggled taking that first step & getting back on the wagon. It goes to show u that the band may not fix ur mental prob with food, for some people it does but others choose to continue to let the mind control ur eating.

Next time u feel hungry try drinking a glass of Water first. Realign ur diet & try to take small healthy steps. Set a goal every week to do something to help u loose weight whether that b exercise or eating a healthy salad rather than a burger.

Good luck my friend!

Just coming on here and spilling it has got to be a relief in itself... Your doing the right thing with Therapy, but,,, you need to do more for yourself.

Have you thought about getting a fill in that Band to help slow your hunger down.. Also Protein helps kill hunger. That's good to know.

I drink with my band at all meals. When I started my Journey I weighed356. I went to the Dr. yesterday, and I weigh 246.

I count my calories, and Protein. I don't eat over 1200 calories a day, and 60-80G of protein a day.

This is doable if you want it bad enough.

I belong to myfitnesspal.com it is a Free site that keeps track of all your calories, protein, exercise, and more.

Give it a chance, and view other peoples Diary that shows what they had to eat today. It helps with ideas.

I'm Losingintime on that site.

Give it a shot !!! It can't hurt.

I'm going to hit my 2 year post-op in November. I've only lost 30 lbs total and that was in the very beginning. I dealt with other medical issues not related to the band after 4 months out that stopped my progress for about 6 months. I started back up again this past January and fell back into my old habits. But once July hit... I realized I really had to make the commitment and put effort into it.

It is a lot of mental stuff... so your doing well by 1. seeing a therapist and 2. coming back here. I also started blogging and getting support with fellow WLS people. It helps airing out all of it. The good, bad and ugly... because I noticed that when I was doing bad, I would disappear because I didn't want to own up to it. LOL.

Now I'm getting back into it.. I started working out and even hurt my knee in August from over-doing it. But with using MyFitnessPal.com and really sticking to the band rules (because yes, I had to relearn those too)... I managed to lose 4 lbs in August. So you can do this.

Its possible to fall down... and get back up again. Take small steps, set small goals. Remember each loss adds up to the big goal. :)