Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breakfast?

Lately I've been pretty much unable to eat a solid Breakfast. I know a lot of other people are tight in the morning, so what do y'all do? I can't stand a Protein drink daily; I could manage them two or three times a week, I guess.

This morning I tried Cereal, no go. I've never been able to handle scrambled eggs; are hard-boiled any easier? Egg salad? What do you eat?

I may just cave and have Soup for Breakfast. Why not? :confused:

Normally I do not eat breakfast....I know it is the most important meal of the day...but, I can't. I usually have an ice tea from Sonic with sweet and low. But, no solids....they just won't go down..

Hi Alexandra -

I work 6am-3pm, so am up by about 5am to get ready (ugh - I am SO not a morning person! lol) I've never been much of a breakfast eater anyway, but I know some people can't function without a little something at least right away.

There is NO WAY I can eat so early in the morning - stomach just can't do it. I used to try to drink a quart of Water on the way in, but it won't do that anymore, either.

So, when I get to work, I have hot tea. By about 7:30/8:00, my stomach is ready for something more challenging, and I usually have a non-fat/sugar-free yoghurt or a cup of cottage cheese.

Soup sounds like a good idea, too, and you could probably skip the hot tea part of my routine in that case.

For people with no soup who MUST get their metabolic fires going right away, they could do apple juice or the like, watered 1/2 down with Water. That should get the blood sugar up but not be too challenging, as long as it's not too cold.

Even Tomato juice would probably help with the blood sugar thing.

Good luck!

This probably sounds gross, but for a long time when I had a wheat allergy my breakfasts consisted of refried Beans and salsa. Now I'm addicted to Hormel chili (no beans), and some of that with a few cheddar cheese sprinkles keeps me filled until noon. String cheese, tuna and/or ham and cream cheese roll-ups are also good. I'm one of those people who must have Protein in the a.m. or I'm shot for the day, so I've become very creative. Wasa Fiber Rye (high Fiber, low carb and calories) with swiss cheese melted on top is very filling. I also enjoy egg salad - but it MUST be mixed with Hellmann's. That's one concession I can't give up.

I had my third fill yesterday and am finally feeling some restriction. Hopefully the losing will begin again!

Normally I do not eat breakfast....I know it is the most important meal of the day...but, I can't. I usually have an ice tea from Sonic with sweet and low. But, no solids....they just won't go down..

Hi Lulu -

You obviously are not very restricted in the mornings if you can eat those kinds of things for breakfast.

Don't worry, it is very likely that you will eventually be at the point where you're on liquid breakfasts or nothing, too...

Enjoy your real breakfasts while you can! :confused:

Glad to hear my Soup idea didn't turn any tummies! :confused:

I have to wait at least an hour after waking up, because I take a medication that requires it. But after serving the kids their breakfast my tummy is usually starting to rumble. I could easily wait until I get to work to eat, but I don't know how a morning soup would go over with my colleagues.

I've tried cottage cheese, but surprisingly, it (like scrambled eggs) doesn't go down easily at all. And yogurt has the same problem as Protein drinks--too sweet.

Tomorrow I think I'll try soup before leaving the house and see how long that lasts. lunch is at noon at my office, and I can barely make it until then if I've had only a small breakfast.

Thanks!

Hi Alexandra,

I have been trying all the Protein drinks (getting ready for my liquid phase) and my biggest complaint is that they are too sweet. I wonder if you have tried the Zero Carb Isopure (Glass), it is clear and comes in a glass bottle. I tried the Apple Melon and surprisingly it wasn't overly sweet. I tried it twice, once with food and once without. I preferred it without food. I plan to use this during my week long clear liquid phase (which starts next week!)

I just thought I would throw it out there, but I have heard a lot of people say that after surgery things taste even sweeter... so I may feel the same way about this one once I am banded... we will see.

Good luck in finding something that works. I don't have much of a problem eating non-breakfast type foods for breakfast... so I say go for the Soup if that's what you desire.

I find I have no appetite in the morning, as well as optimum restriction, so first off, I have a mug of Green Tea, then I have three dried prunes (the ready to eat variety) and five or six Brazil nuts or hazelnuts - it's a very small amount to chew and eat and I figure they're good for me too - I can't eat eggs or anything like that either so maybe a handful of nuts may work for you?

Have you tried a Protein Bar, rather than shake? They taste much better, and if you sip tea or coffee, they melt in your mouth.

I have a slim fast bar every morning, but then again, I crave sweets in the morning.

tellie

That's a great idea, Tellie. I'll give it a whirl!

Lately I've been having some success with a bit of smoked fish. It seems to slide right down. But I have to eat it plain--not the best way--and my breath suffers for a while afterwatds. :rolleyes:

A soft-boiled egg a couple of times a week (especially the yolk, since that goes down easier than egg white) won't send your cholesterol over the edge, and won't be sweet.

Since rededicating myself to eating Breakfast (usually it was just a few cups of coffee), I now eat about 2 cubes of cantelope and about a tablespoon of cottage cheese. Sometimes I mix it up a little and have 2 strawberries instead of cantelope (or 2 cubes of honeydew melon).

But really, cantelope is my favorite.

Then I stop, because I'm stuffed.

Since adding more food to my day via breakfast I've actually lost a few more pounds. I didn't realize (or care maybe?) how important it really was.

I don't have much variety--I love cottage cheese and fruit and pretty much stick to that combo daily.

Oddly enough, Robin, cottage cheese is not something I can eat. I would happily, but two bites is just not enough to get me through the morning, and that's all I can get down before feeling stuck. Maybe that will change with time; I hope so!