Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi everyone -- I shared my issue a week or so ago -- I'm in 5th month of the 6 month pre-op evaluation only to find out the surgeon supposedly doesn't do lap band anymore. After several attempts I was able to talk to the nurse today, she talked to the surgeon and it has been confirmed -- she doesn't do lapband now, only suggesting me to meet with another surgeon in the practice who hasn't done a solo lapband yet. I don't think this is an option for me! I feel truly like I was sold a bill of goods!!! I took the suggestion of a post from last week and checked a certified bariatric surgery website and found four in PA. The closest to me is a 2 1/2 hour drive, each way. I just don't know if this is going to be feasible for me knowing that most appointments will be during business hours and the amount of time I would need to take off work. I know I'm probably complaining too much and I'm sorry, but I just need to vent. I'm really upset about this....

In regards to the potential new location -- has anyone been to the bariatric center in danville, PA at the Geisinger facility? This is my new closest location and just wondered if anyone had anything positive to share. Thanks everyone for listening...

Hi, I'm Terri, and have been banded 6 months.

My surgery center was 2 hours, 20 mins from my home. It has not really been a problem to be so far away. My surgery was on a Thurs, and because I was from so far away they kept me over night. We stopped at my business on the way home on Friday so I could say hello. And I was at work on Monday. (I recommend having surgery done on 3 day weekends- MLK day weekend, Presidents day weekend --- you get my drift) My surgeon was very experienced, 100 + lap bands per year, for the past 10 years, and I was his third that day. And becasue I was staying overnight, I was the last of the day. That was fine with me. Hubby staying in the room with me all night -- he slept on a recliner right beside me.

BUT, If they had not kept me overnight at the hospital I would have stayed overnight in a local hotel for two reasons - in case of a complication, and car rides suck after surgery (as it is take a pillow to hold over tummy when you do ride home). Now don;t get alarmed, surgery is unlikely to have a complication. (We are talking about a 45 minute operation = not brain surgery.) But I will not lie, it was very nice to have a nurse to take care of me instead of my lovable, but unskilled husband. ALSO, hopsital drugs are the best.

For my fills, I try to get a late appointment (on seminar night which is once a month I can come in up to 6 pm). Normally I leave about 2, (my ride is only 2 hours from my workplace) have my fill apt about 4:30 and get home early evening. I would get home earlier but I usually go to the Sams club and shop for an hour or so. (I usually buy myself a treat if I do well and loose weight) --- This is so not on subject but I bought myself one of those robot vacuums - its the best;

I could go to another doctor for fills, but since it is only 1 visit per month or less (I have not been for 2 months - need to go soon), I make the drive to see the folks I know and trust. BTW- I tell everyone - your doctor's nurse, or in my case the Admin Nurse for the bariatric section is my BFF and go-to-gal. I call her and talk to her when I need ANYTHING. That means more to me than a close office. She listens, asks questions, and a time or two when things were not quite right she got the PA on the line ASAP.

Also, the Admin Nurse for the Bariatric section was the one who said that she'd work my chart so that i could stay overnight at no charge ( I am a self-pay and this hospital had a special rate for lap and 3 months followup care ). She could do this becsause one of the doctors ALWAYS requires his patients to stay overnight - so she was not cheating or doing something wrong, staying overnight was kinda optional.

So, dare to compare and don't sweat the drive.

Good luck, Terri

BYW - cannot update the tikker 'cause I forgot the password. I have lost almost 60 lbs

hi everyone -- I shared my issue a week or so ago -- I'm in 5th month of the 6 month pre-op evaluation only to find out the surgeon supposedly doesn't do lap band anymore. After several attempts I was able to talk to the nurse today, she talked to the surgeon and it has been confirmed -- she doesn't do lapband now, only suggesting me to meet with another surgeon in the practice who hasn't done a solo lapband yet. I don't think this is an option for me! I feel truly like I was sold a bill of goods!!! I took the suggestion of a post from last week and checked a certified bariatric surgery website and found four in PA. The closest to me is a 2 1/2 hour drive, each way. I just don't know if this is going to be feasible for me knowing that most appointments will be during business hours and the amount of time I would need to take off work. I know I'm probably complaining too much and I'm sorry, but I just need to vent. I'm really upset about this....

In regards to the potential new location -- has anyone been to the bariatric center in danville, PA at the Geisinger facility? This is my new closest location and just wondered if anyone had anything positive to share. Thanks everyone for listening...

Hello Future-

I am sorry you feel shafted. I hope that your wait is not extended by to many days.

I guess you can be thankful that you are able to receive surgery and have a chance to loose unwated, unhealthy weight.

My doctor is 5 1/2 hours away. I am blessed to have found him and I plan to utilize the travel time by thinking about my menu for the following week, writing in my journal, talking to other lap band friends, etc.

Driving that distance to your doctor will probably be the easiest thing you will do in this new journey. This will be an extra expense due to the price of gas and I can justify it as I will not eat near what I previously did.

Explain to your boss your situation and perhaps he/she will work with you.

Just continue to work towards to being a healthier you. Good Luck!!

God Bless,

Grammy

Hi,

I am also in my 5th month of a 6 month program through Geisinger in Hazleton, PA. The surgery however will be performed in Danville, PA when that time comes. I was told there are two doctors that perform the laparoscopic band surgery (Realize Band) at Geisinger, Jon Gabrielsen, MD and Anthony Petrick, MD. I have yet to meet them. Here is some info on them:

http://www1.geisinge...s.cfm?pid=64390

http://www1.geisinge....cfm?pid=105355

I am about and 1 hour and 25 minutes away from them. The place is gigantic. There are shuttle buses in the parking lot to get you to where you have to be. I had surgery there about a year and a half ago and stayed two nights. My son also had surgery there when he was a baby. Both times we had positive experiences. Hope this helps.

I'm driving more than 150 miles through the worst traffic in the country to go to an ACS Center of Excellence.You'll probably have your Lapband for the rest

of your life and it'll, no doubt, be a very large part of your life, so it just makes good sense to get the very best surgery you can.

Al's plumbing and Lapband service is probably a bad bet.

Make the trip, you won't regret it and the very best of luck to you.

"Al's plumbing and lapband." Now that's funny!

I should have put this in the last post. The Geisinger Clinic is fully accredited by the Anerican College of Surgeons(there are four in PA) and should give

you the very best service you'll find.

Do you mind me asking what your experience has been with the pre-surgery 6 month evaluation with the Geisinger facility? I have only had experience to compare so I'm not sure if it's usual or unusual: nobody discussed with me which procedure I was interested in, I seemed to just be shuttled in every month for a nutritionist to flip through my food journal, never met a surgeon or anyone on their surgical staff.

Hi,

I am also in my 5th month of a 6 month program through Geisinger in Hazleton, PA. The surgery however will be performed in Danville, PA when that time comes. I was told there are two doctors that perform the laparoscopic band surgery (Realize Band) at Geisinger, Jon Gabrielsen, MD and Anthony Petrick, MD. I have yet to meet them. Here is some info on them:

http://www1.geisinge...s.cfm?pid=64390

http://www1.geisinge....cfm?pid=105355

I am about and 1 hour and 25 minutes away from them. The place is gigantic. There are shuttle buses in the parking lot to get you to where you have to be. I had surgery there about a year and a half ago and stayed two nights. My son also had surgery there when he was a baby. Both times we had positive experiences. Hope this helps.

I'm driving more than 150 miles through the worst traffic in the country to go to an ACS Center of Excellence.You'll probably have your Lapband for the rest

of your life and it'll, no doubt, be a very large part of your life, so it just makes good sense to get the very best surgery you can.

Al's plumbing and Lapband service is probably a bad bet.

Make the trip, you won't regret it and the very best of luck to you.

I completely agree that I should find the best care for the surgery and am not too concerned about the travel for the surgery -- my concern is the many post-op appointments, which would be during business hours (my work hours) and the amount of time I would need to take off work. I know this is a decision that will positively affect the rest of my life -- just a shame that the location (which is a "center of excellence by the association of bariatric surgery") five minutes from work turned out to be such a bad option as far as giving me correct options.

I'm not sure where you found your list but there's about 20 Centers of Excellence in PA.

Here's the link , I used. http://www.surgicalreview.org/locate/asmbs/.

I'm not sure where you're located, but there may be some closer to you on the list. As far as Geisinger goes, they have an excellent reputation as a hospital, but I know little of their weight loss programs. Full disclaimer here....I used to work for them.

If you are anywhere near the Harrisburg area, I can definitely recommend the program at Pinnacle.

Pinnacle is good? I am near that location, but was told that the "after-care" was not the greatest. Would love to hear more if you don't mind since this would be a perfect location for me. Thanks so much!

Pinnacle is good? I am near that location, but was told that the "after-care" was not the greatest. Would love to hear more if you don't mind since this would be a perfect location for me. Thanks so much!

I've been going there for 3 years and I've been very pleased. There are the usual problems of not being able to get an appointment the minute you want it, but other than that, I've been extremely happy. Dr. Weiger provides the aftercare and quite frankly, he been doing it a long time and he's good at it. You really don't see your surgeon much after the operation, but I think that's a good thing. I'm in the medical field and I work for another local hospital. Most surgeons aren't the best at long-term care. They tend to like to fix a problem and move on. The combination of good surgeons and Dr. Weiger really worked well for me.

If you have any specific questions, you can send me a private message. I have an appointment today....I let you know if anything has changed.

Cindy