Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

realistic expectations?

So I am scheduled for wls on 10/28. I have been noticing many people on here who have lost over 100 lbs, even some who have lost 150 lbs. It is amazing to me to be able to lose that much! I weigh 323 and am 5'8, the charts at the doctor's office say I should be between 140-160. I have not weighed 160 since 5th grade. I would really like to believe I could lose 150 lbs, but it seems impossible. Anyone have any advice or stories on how they did it?

I'm new to how all of this forum stuff runs but I've really enjoyed browsing through the photos and seeing the amazing and impressive before and after results that people have posted. You really do have the tool to become one of them too! Don't question if it'll work for you or not. The best advice that I ever got was from a skinny successfully banded friend. She said that there is no way that you can fail if you keep your band filled. It seems so obvious, but sometimes we don't want it as snug as it could be! Although, I've had my share of being too filled also. It's a fabulous invention and feel very fortunate to have in my band in there! Chin up and enjoy the journey!

I have had my band for almost 12 weeks and have not lost 100+ pounds but feel I am on the road to doing it. I believe my success so far is from counting my calories (900-1200 a day) and also from exercise. I have had to stop exercising this week because I am having extreme knee issues, but I was still able to lose. Just not as much as I usually do. The band is there to help you, but you have to be willing to put in the work. You can do it if you follow the guidelines the doctor sets up for you! I look forward to hearing your journey...oh yeah, I should add that I do not have a fill yet. My doctor feels that I am progressing very well without it. I am not hungry in between meals and I am losing, so he is happy! I wish you much success!

I've lost 100 lbs.

I think the most important thing to be realistic about is not that you can lose 150 lbs (you probably can, or very close to it), but that how FAST you lose it might vary dramatically. I am, without a doubt, completely lucky about how my body has cooperated with taking off the lbs. I've lost over 100 lbs in a year and I've done it without exercising and without having a tight band. I did spend the first 8 months or so pretty strictly low-carbing, which undoubtedly helped me lose.

However, some people for whatever reason don't lose so fast even when they are following every rule and exercising like a mad woman. That doesn't mean they aren't losing, or that they can't take off 150 lbs-- it just means that instead of one year maybe it will take three. I believe Cindy is an example of someone who didn't lose much her first year, but has since gone on to lose the rest.

Be realistic about the time it might take so that you don't get discouraged and give up. But losing over 100 lbs-- it's definitely realistic.

I got banded on 09/02. I've set mini goals but if I lose 50lbs I will be happy.

I am going to lose over 150 lbs. I started at 304 and right now am about 238. I was banded May 26th but started my losing February 21st, while going to the nutritionist. I have two goals...170 and 155 and then who knows. I am 55 years old and haven't been 170 since I got pregnant with my soon to be 34 yr old daughter and haven't been 155 since I was a senior in high school. I believe that anyone that has a lapband, works with their band can and will lose as much as they want...some will lose it fast others slow...but in the end it can be done.

Good Luck!

It is totally possible! I did it! I lost my first 100 pounds in less than a year. I was lucky, too, that my body seemed to be made for the band and I lost easily. After the first 100 pounds, it got tougher and tougher to lose and my weight loss slowed considerably. I've been stalled for a few months now, but I just got a fill after not having one for almost a year, so things will hopefully start to pick up again. If I can lose 30 more pounds I'll be happy! Set realistic goals, and also set small goals. Maybe you can set your first goal to be getting to 299...and then set another small goal, and then another. When you have a massive amount of weight to lose like we do, the bigger picture can be very overwhelming. By setting smaller goals you will be able to Celebrate your achievements more often and be more successful.

A word of advice on those height and weight charts...they are very unrealistic in my opinion. My best friend is 5'8" and weighs around 160 and wears a size 8 and she looks like a toothpick, and according to most height and weight charts she is at the very top of the normal weight range. At 170 she was considered overweight, and let me tell you there wasn't any fat on her body then either. Now, I don't know about you but to me that is just ridiculous! There are many more factors that go into your ideal weight than just your height. Your body type (are you naturally muscular or not), body shape, and bone structure (small, medium, or large frame?) all factor in. My advice would be to set a realistic goal. My initial goal was to get under 200 lbs. Now that I am almost there, My goal is to reach somewhere in the 180's and I feel like I will be perfectly happy there. I started at 374, and am currently 212. At 187 I will be exactly HALF of the person I used to be, which will be really cool! To me, that is a MUCH BIGGER achievement than matching a silly height and weight chart!

I did it and you can, too.

My story is alot like Klariade's. And I totally agree with her about the height/weight charts. Although, I am still "overweight", I really don't think I should lose more than another 10 lbs or so. I'm in my fifties and wearing a size 10, that's alright by me. I do harbor this dream of someday wearing a single-digit size, but I'm not sure I really care about it that much anymore.

As far as the key to success, figure out what works for you and keep doing it, no matter what.

For me, I don't count or track anything. I eat moderately and exercise moderately. I routinely overeat at holidays and vacations, just like skinny people do! For me the key was to NOT be on a diet! I've always been a good dieter, but at some point I would get fed up with all the rules and I'd go crazy and gain back all my weight. When you aren't DIETING, that doesn't happen. I know this may not work for everyone, but it was definitely the key for me.

Cindy

I think of it the same way - I've never "dieted" with the band. I also do eat more on special occasions and on holidays and stuff, but its no longer enough to really affect my weight, or not for more than a day or two anyway.

Consequently, I lost well, but not particularly fast, despite running for an hour a day. I lost 80lb in my first year, about 20 in my second and another 20 over the past FOUR years!!

I've gotten down to a very low BMI of 20, and I like it that way. The toothpick look is what I like, lol, I'm 5ft 10 and about 140 lb, I consider myself fat at 160!

I alwasy wantedt to lose this much weight, but I did have that sense of disbelief that it was even possible. But as I got c loser, I realised it would be.

Well I'm new to all this bit still a skeptic and hopeful at the same time. I lose weight so slowly and I kill myself in the gym everyweek just to lose one or 2 lbs every 3 weeks. It sucks. This time I'm hoping with the band I can lose weight more consistently.

Thanks you guys! Your stories are amazing! After being so big all my life and having such a hard time losing weight and keeping it off, it seems impossible that I'll be able to do that with the band. I can't WAIT. I feel like I've had a terminal chronic illness all my life that a cure was just suddenly discovered for..and really, I guess that's what obesity is. My whole family has it, it's genetic and I believe that some people just CANNOT lose and keep the weight off no matter what they do. It's an illness, and i'm tired of feeling bad or not good enough or looked-down upon because of it. It's one of the last accepted prejudices in our society and it is SO horrible that it's that way.

looking forward to a new, healthy me!