Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight do you expect to lose in your 1st month?

Just curious as what people expect to lose right after surgery? There seems to be so many threads in the post band forum as to the high expectation of weight loss in the 1st month before a fill. So the question is how much do you think you will lose in this time period.

I thought that it I was going to lose at least 8lbs. I actually maintained my weight after the first month. The doctor told me that most people gain some weight in their first month.

I lost 17 lbs but have gained back about 3-4. I'm almost 6 weeks out. My first fill is on the 22nd.

My doc said the first month is for healing, and that I should consider any loss at all a lucky blessing. It turned out I lost 5 pounds in the first 4 weeks post-surgery and he was very happy with that. I got my first fill at that appointment, and now the weight is coming off more steadily.

My advice would be to not put pressure on yourself those first four weeks after surgery. In fact, I now kind of wish I didn't tell so many people I was having it, because they constantly asked how much I'd lost and the answer was not good that first four weeks. I'd explain about the healing period, and I knew in my heart the doctor said not to expect much, but everyone's quesitons still made me feel pressured and a little like a failure. But now,after my first fill, I'm way past that feeling. :rolleyes:

I wonder why so many people post on the Post Lapband Surgery that they are so disappointed by their weight loss in the 1st 4 weeks after their surgery? Seriously, there is a thread every week of people are mad they have lost only a few pounds. Where did this expectation of losing 20, 30 plus pounds so quick come from even before a first fill?

Just curious as what people expect to lose right after surgery? There seems to be so many threads in the post band forum as to the high expectation of weight loss in the 1st month before a fill. So the question is how much do you think you will lose in this time period.

I wonder why so many people post on the Post Lapband Surgery that they are so disappointed by their weight loss in the 1st 4 weeks after their surgery? Seriously, there is a thread every week of people are mad they have lost only a few pounds. Where did this expectation of losing 20, 30 plus pounds so quick come from even before a first fill?

I think people get that misconception because they are not well informed by their doctor, like myself. Then when I actually GAINED weight after the surgery and before my 1st fill, I wanted to cry. I was so misguided by my doctor its ridiculous. He told me I could stick strictly to Protein drinks for 90 days and lose a lb a day. Ugh. I'm so grateful for this site because I have learned way more from others on here that from my own doctor.

I lost about 25 lbs the first 30 days post-op. I've lost about 35 altogether. This morning it seems my digital scale has died. Sigh. Now I won't know where I'm at. But most of the weight loss was due to the Protein Shakes and liquids for 4 weeks. Just holding my own since I started mushies. I have not had a fill yet. I'm thankful though that I'm not very hungry.

Yes, my dr didn't tell me anything about gaining weight. He did say to concentrate on healing but nothing about not losing weight. So yeah, this is news to me. I've lost 7 lbs but haven't lost any more in a few days. I'm trying not to expect too much and just focus on healing and getting back in the gym on Monday and not overdoing it!

I got my first fill (a very small 1ml) at 3 weeks out. I lost 4kg 8.8lb between surgery and that first fill. I was extremely happy with that.

I lost 9 pounds since surgery wednesday 9/7/11.

9 lb. That was lost 1 week post op, then I went up and down a couple till week 5 and lost 2.

I lost 16 lbs my first week and not a pound since. Just like many people, I was told the first month is a time for healing but I wasn't told anything regarding weight loss during that month. I was devestated last week when I got ont he scale and it didn't move. I then posted on hear asking if it's normal not to lose anything and I realized it is very normal and that some people even gain. I guess what I don't understand is if we are not eating like we use too, why aren't we losing weight right now and why does having a fill make you lose weight?

this really doesn't involve lb surgery but i had to post about people thinking ok you have x and so you'll magically drop tons of weight. 2 years ago when I was diagnosed hypothyroid and had surgery to remove half of it and went on medication, my stepmom being ignorant said in front of my dad (who's highly critical of my weight) "Oh great you're going to be so skinny" ya, I've gained 30lbs since, so needless to say those 2 are going to be in the dark if I am approved for surgery.

Exactly jsea. Y am I not losing if I'm eating 500 cal per day.