Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do y'all do to keep motivated?

I was banded on June 16. I got my third fill a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking I'm getting close to my spot. When I'm being good I can eat and won't be hungry for about 2 1/2 hours.

However, I find myself doing the same things that I've always done. Grazing. Granted, I don't graze on as much because I just can't eat as much but I know that the way this is going to work best is if I'm only eating WHEN I'M HUNGRY. Not because I'm bored, or I could eat or whatever else the reason is behind it. I start the day off good. I'll take a Protein Shake and a hard boiled egg with me to work and when I get off I'll come home and eat lunch. But I'll usually end up eating something else (or two) before dinner and then something after dinner. Sometimes it is because I really am hungry and I don't like being hungry so I'm going to have a snack if I am. But sometimes I just eat more than I need to and I know that and I feel guilty afterwards.

Sorry for rambling. I'm just wondering what some of y'all do to keep motivated and to not have a snack when you think you want one but aren't actually hungry. I'm going on a cruise in December and I would like to lose another 20 or 25 pounds before then so I have my little doodle thing on my fridge that says -25 on it that I can change as I lose weight hoping that will help. And it might a little. Idk. But I've been doing the couch to 5k and I'm losing slowly. Probably half a pound to a full pound a week. But I'd like it to be more like 1.5 pounds to 2 pounds a week and I really think that if I could just get my eating more under control then that would be feasible. So, for like the third time I've said this, what do y'all do?

Thanks!

I'm a June 16th bandster also and I have just started noticing that I am turning back to some "old" habits again. The only way I am staying on track is by writing everything I eat down. I actually use myfitnesspal.com and I think this is what has helped me more than anything. I can tell when I don't use it that I overeat. The first 2 months I was so motivated and I thought it would last forever, but unfortunately it hasn't to that extent. I am still doing okay, but not great.

I have noticed the weeks that I walk religiously that I lose more weight. The problem is that I haven't walked in the last week. It seems like everything is falling apart. I only have 2 cc's in my fill and go back the 27th of this month, but my doctor is really slow with fils. She likes her patients to lose it slow because she thinks that is healthier. I will say that it has helped my skin and the flabbiness.....it's not as bad as I expected.

I have been wanting to ask the same question you just did,so I would enjoy reading the feedback, as well.

Drink more Water. Exercise more. Get rid of the "grazable" food. Force yourself to ONLY eat from a plate at the table - do not eat standing up, in front of the TV, away from the kitchen, or eat anything you can eat with your bare hands. Serve yourself a normal sized portion, then step away from the food. Plan your meals so you eat a few ounces of dense Protein every three to four hours - it will keep your appetite under control, and if you aren't hungry, you're less likely to binge or graze or overeat. Focus on how you feel before putting anything into your mouth - are you truly hungry, or are you eating out of habit or boredom?

The thing about the band is that it won't stop you from overeating, or from making bad food choices. All it will do is dim your appetite, so you can use your common sense and willpower to control your eating, and promote your weight loss. If you take your focus off of food, and develop new habits, your weight loss will amaze you. If you allow yourself to repeat the bad habits that got you fat in the first place, you can guess what results you'll have.

Your band gives you a great opportunity to change your life, but in order to do that, you need to actually change your behavior. Old habits die hard, and this is a prime example.

Good luck!

Dave

Lea you have been doing amazing! You seem to be on the same level with me on how much weight you need to lose and you're already down 36 pounds! I'm mildly jealous ;) And only 2 cc's? I've got 6 in mine right now I've been getting fills every 2 or 3 weeks. I may or may not get one next time though. We'll have to wait and see.

I have been really trying to make sure that I don't eat too much at one time. My doctor told me to serve myself on 6 inch saucer plates and that's what I've been doing. And I try really hard to put everything into my calorie counter app but that doesn't always go as planned :/

I obviously need to just be a lot more strict with myself. I have faith that I can do this though. I think this band just gave me the push I needed to get going.

I agree about gettind rid of grazable foods. They tend to be carbs, or high fat anyway. If you MUST have a snack have chicken breast strips where you can eat 1 oz. I know it sounds harsh but my doctor once I was on solids wanted 3 meals a day no Snacks. I will admit to having a 160 cal. Protein Shake between lunch and dinner before my work out (I often go 8 hours between lunch and dinner). I think some of your issues are head hunger. You are bored and thus start eating. Also if you have a snack every day at a certain time it has become a habit and you are'nt necesarily really hungry.

You're doing good too, MLR! It's cool that we are on the same track basically. I think we are both suffering from "head hunger" like someone mentioned. I have been super strict until the last few weeks and I have fallen of the wagon so to speak. Let's get back on it together! We've got this!!

Also, eating off of a 6 inch plate has helped me. Doc said to fil 1/2 with meat/protein, 1/4 with green veggies, and the other 1/4 with starches. Eat Protein first, then green veggies, then the starches (only if hungry though). It's a good idea to try.

I find it helpful to plan my eating as much as possible by taking my food with me to work. This means that I fill out myfitnesspal.com with my calories for lunch as well as Breakfast at breakfast time. Then I add my dinner when I have decided what I am going to eat for that meal. Good luck and keep working at it. This is a lifelong journey for all of us.

I was banded on June 16. I got my third fill a couple of weeks ago and I'm thinking I'm getting close to my spot. When I'm being good I can eat and won't be hungry for about 2 1/2 hours.

However, I find myself doing the same things that I've always done. Grazing. Granted, I don't graze on as much because I just can't eat as much but I know that the way this is going to work best is if I'm only eating WHEN I'M HUNGRY. Not because I'm bored, or I could eat or whatever else the reason is behind it. I start the day off good. I'll take a Protein shake and a hard boiled egg with me to work and when I get off I'll come home and eat lunch. But I'll usually end up eating something else (or two) before dinner and then something after dinner. Sometimes it is because I really am hungry and I don't like being hungry so I'm going to have a snack if I am. But sometimes I just eat more than I need to and I know that and I feel guilty afterwards.

Sorry for rambling. I'm just wondering what some of y'all do to keep motivated and to not have a snack when you think you want one but aren't actually hungry. I'm going on a cruise in December and I would like to lose another 20 or 25 pounds before then so I have my little doodle thing on my fridge that says -25 on it that I can change as I lose weight hoping that will help. And it might a little. Idk. But I've been doing the couch to 5k and I'm losing slowly. Probably half a pound to a full pound a week. But I'd like it to be more like 1.5 pounds to 2 pounds a week and I really think that if I could just get my eating more under control then that would be feasible. So, for like the third time I've said this, what do y'all do?

Thanks!

However, I find myself doing the same things that I've always done. Grazing. Granted, I don't graze on as much because I just can't eat as much but I know that the way this is going to work best is if I'm only eating WHEN I'M HUNGRY. Not because I'm bored, or I could eat or whatever else the reason is behind it. I start the day off good. I'll take a Protein shake and a hard boiled egg with me to work and when I get off I'll come home and eat lunch. But I'll usually end up eating something else (or two) before dinner and then something after dinner. Sometimes it is because I really am hungry and I don't like being hungry so I'm going to have a snack if I am. But sometimes I just eat more than I need to and I know that and I feel guilty afterwards.

Thanks!

For me, snacking comes the minute I sit down and start mucking around on the computer or have any other "down time" like that. So I stay busy.

At the moment, I'm not working full time as I was unable to apply for any teaching contracts because I had to have chemo - it was impossible to work around. I orginally got fat in large part from being at home with my kids and this year again my eating habits were sliding with all the time at home on my own. I actually ended up getting myself a job coaching gymnastics a day a week whilst still having chemo, and also some relief teaching work (I was going to wait till chemo had finished). I was sick, had diarrhoea and an ileostomy but I really needed to work - both for my mental health and to get out of the house and away from the cookie jar.

I have 3 kids so there's always plenty to do in the house. I make it a point never to sit down, pure and simple. I potter around and make myself keep up to date with ironing, cleaning out cupboards, keeping the bathrooms spotless, whatever, just throughout the danger part of the day which to me is after lunch through till dinner, I just keep moving and busy. The days when I dont get a call for relief teaching I go out, stay out of the house as long as possible, see a movie, visit someone, window shop, whatever. I go to the gym, and spend hours there. Whatever it takes, I just avoid my trigger situation - sitting around.

I also took up knitting, lol, so at least when I do sit, I am keepign my hands busy. I dont have a problem with after dinner snacking unless hubby derails me and brings out a bottle of liqueur or something like that.

But if you're going to snack - plan it. My biggest downfall is snacking on snack foods - there's really no reason in the world not to have a bowl of Soup or somethign healthy like that that will actually fill you -whereas I can eat chips like I could pre band.

Recently, I have had to break my three meals no Snacks rule - since I had my ileostomy closed six weeks ago, my digestive system is in tatters, it is so sensitive. I cannot handle a "meal" anymore, I cant eat that much at one time. Even with a band, a band size meal causes me bloating, foul gas and a lot of pain and discomfort. So I'm a six times a day eater. I've never been an advocate of this, becuase I tend to overeat when I do it, but I've created myself a good stock of healthy 200 calorie mini meals and I've actually lost weight - not really the aim. And my guts are much calmer. So I've planned out mini meals that contain good nutrients and continue to mentally do this with whatever's in the fridge and the house. I never ever just grab.

Write it all down in My FItness Pal or Fat Secrets (Calorie Counter). My husband tells me that I am obsessive about it. As soon as I get in the car after we go out to eat, then I pull out my Droid and put the information in. I do it everytime I have a snack to. Also, maybe just getting out and exercising a little more. I am sure you have an exercise routine, so try stepping it up to keep those grazing times from coming around as often.

I am a grazer, too, so I can identify with your problem, I try to graze on a peach, plums, or carrots, and those aren't a problem, and carrots work your jaws because you really have to chew them to avoid problems. Best of luck. Keep us all posted.

Here are some tips:

Write down all of your foods and exercise so that you see the food you are eating. Try Lose It for you iPhone/pad/pod

Eat foods that take a while to eat. (I take a long time to finish a chicken nugget-size-peice-of-chicken, so I try to eat similar items to increase the time it takes for me to finish a meal)

Replace your current Snacks with good once - tomatoes, cucumbers, hummus (hard to substitute, I have this problem too, but def necessary)

Go for a walk during lunch, at least a mile to help clear your head. Everyday try to increase your distance while decreasing your time.

Exercise at a gym and watch the calories burned display. After seeing how much effort it takes to loose 200 calories, you may reconsider what you are eating.