Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long where you on liquids post-op?

I'd be grateful if people would share how long after their operation they were told to stay or chose to stay on a liquid diet. I'm trying to gauge if what I was told is reasonable. I'm a week post-op and starving. I'm only allowed clear low sodium broth, Water and artificially sweetened drinks, and only 6oz a day of either Boost, Ensure, Atkins shake or other such shakes.

If you were brave and stayed on liquids for a while, do you have any easy recipes to share? I can't drink anymore ensure, boost or Atkins shake (and low sodium chicken broth is making me gag too...).

Thanks for you feedback!

Jo

im post op day three, my liquid diet includes a choice of two full liquids daily. full liquids include low fat strained cream Soups, skim milk, and sugar free yogurt. My Clear Liquids include unlimited sugar free Jello.< /p>

I was on clear liquids only (no Protein Drinks or anything) for one week post op. I wasn't hungry though, so I was fine. I was on full liquids for the second week post op.

I'm 3 days out and have been doing Water , Protein Shakes, Jello and sugar free popsicles. I can start pureed soft Protein tomorrow (tuna, salmon, chicken etc). I can't wait....I'm so anxious to actually chew something. Anywhoo for the next week I'll be on pureed Proteins before i start solid protein. Unfortunately no veggies, fruit, dairy for a while. Good luck all.

My surgery was Fri. July 15th and on Friday July 22nd I was at our favorite Chinese food place eating won ton Soup, soft noodles, and paper wrapped chicken. I took very small bites and chewed real well. I too was starving for some real food and everything went down perfectly fine. Now that I am 7 weeks post op I realize that the band is by no means a "cure all" you can still pretty much eat whatever you want just in smaller portions. I was so afraid in the beginning that I would never be able to go out to dinner or social eating with family and friends.......wrong, you can eat anything so be careful and control your portions and make healthy choices. the LapBand will not do any of the work for you, it's up to you to change your whole eating style and start exercising. Sometimes I wish I would have done the gastric sleeve because then weight loss is pretty much guaranteed, I don't feel LapBand can offer that weight loss guarantee. Sorry, I don't mean to sound ungrateful about my LapBand surgery, but I really wish I would have gotten more accurate information about the fact that it's really up to "Me" on whether or not I lose this weight. Ughhhh

I was on liquids for three weeks. Can you not drink any other brand of Protein shakes? What about Jello, Popsicles, Tomato Soup. Blended Soups? For the first week I was on clears... But week 2 and 3 were full liquids... Basically any Soup of it were blended and strained. I wasn't hungry during that time but I did start getting disgusted with eating the same things.

If you like miso soup you could go to your local Chinese restaurant and get miso soup and just drink the broth. Also, making my own chicken broth tasted soooo much better than the canned or boxed stuff.

I'm just banded yesterday and for 2 days just clear liquids. Then I can add Protein Shakes on day three and creamy Soups. But I'm on full liquids by day 5 untill my first appt in 2weeks.

My son had his surgery on Aug. 5th. He was on clear liquids for a week following surgery. He was on full liquids for the last 4 weeks. He started mushies, yesterday! If you are eating mushies at 2 weeks, be thankful! Karen

Hi I am 2 weeks out and am still on clear liquids for the next 2... Driving me crazy . then for the next 4 I will be on blended and like stage 1 baby food foods in which I will only get 3oz a day period.. no wonder I am losing. lol I have cheeted a little and ate a few oz of Tomato Soup or a little of really watered down malt o meal.. just to feel a little better and have a change as everything I want to gag on. I read others being able to consume that so thats why I did. My doc will prob kill me when I tell him or if. hehe

be happy being able to go off of clear liquids when you can, cuz I am sure counting the days.

It's only been a little over 48 hours since I was banded, and I'm supposed to still be on clear liquids. Ready to move to creamy liquids, but no mushies until 1 week post-op. But the thing is, I'm HUNGRY!! I ate some ice cream the first night, and some Little Debbie Nutty Bars today. I don't have a lot of pain, never even much gas. I know I'm SUPPOSED to be following a strict diet but how many of you cheated??

I was on thin/clear liquid for 1 week, full liquid for 1 week, mushies for 1 week, then regular food. And I have to say, when I was able to eat regular food- it didn't agree with me. I actually ended up doing an extra week of self imposed mushies. I am 4 1/2 weeks out, and still learning what is safe to eat.

I was on liquid for 3 weeks after surgery... carnation instant breakfasts worked for me as well as herbal tea, broth, v8 juice, and sugar free hot chocolate....I wasn't very creative but I also didn't have much of an appetite... Best of luck to you...mushies come soon!!

Clear liquids 1 week (including 3 Protein shakes a day made with water), full liquids 1 week (shakes made with milk), mushy foods 1 week, soft-ish foods 1 week, then proceed as tolerated.

I think only 6 oz. a day of a Protein Drink is ridiculous. That's the only nutrition you're getting, you should be able to have more than that!

(for the other person who asked... yes I was tempted to cheat during my post-op time. no, I didn't cheat. If you cheat, all you're doing is hurting yourself.)

Just too add.....I didn't cheat either. Not until May....5 mths post op. I was at a Trade show for work and hadn't had any food for 5 hrs... they passed out warm chocolate chip cookies.... I had one....lol. since then I could count on one hand the number of times I ate something I shouldn't...usually it was right.before a fill. I am so committed to be successful it just is foremost on my mind.... I personally decided that nothing tastes as good as thin feels.