Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's up? My weight! That's what.

So I started solids 8 days ago. Since I have started solids I have gained about 6-7 lbs. Is this common? I'm staying between950-1200 calories a day... Most days around 1100. Drinking plenty of Water. Walking daily. I was just released to start working out more heavily at the gym today. I have fairly decent restriction, I think. I eat three small meals a day and I'm full for 3-5 hours. I'm tracking everything on myfitnesspal.com

Anyway, did anyone else gain once they went on solids? I expected my weight loss to slow down and even stop for a week or two... But I didn't expect to gain. What's up?

Are you getting in enough protien?

Ya... 60+ grams a day. I think im going to cut starchy carbs completely. I'm not eating tons.. But I think I just need to cut Them.

Carbs are not my friend. In order to lose weight, I have to reduce them drastically to maybe one a day or every couple of days. I get my carbs from my food. I also only eat about 900cals per day and exercise 4-5 days a week.

I just filled out my myfitnesspal and here are my stats for the day:

980 calories

85 Protein

71 carbs

And I'm guessing at least 80 oz of Water.

So, now that I'm cleared for working out I'm just really going to hit the gym and cut my carbs down to below 40. Hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks for your suggestions ladies!

So I started solids 8 days ago. Since I have started solids I have gained about 6-7 lbs. Is this common? I'm staying between950-1200 calories a day... Most days around 1100. Drinking plenty of Water. Walking daily. I was just released to start working out more heavily at the gym today. I have fairly decent restriction, I think. I eat three small meals a day and I'm full for 3-5 hours. I'm tracking everything on myfitnesspal.com

Anyway, did anyone else gain once they went on solids? I expected my weight loss to slow down and even stop for a week or two... But I didn't expect to gain. What's up?

It's perfectly normal to gain when you start back on solids. I gained 5 pounds then too. Your body is adjusting to all the changes. The weight loss will pick back up in a week or two.

Thanks Cindy :-)

It's perfectly normal to gain when you start back on solids. I gained 5 pounds then too. Your body is adjusting to all the changes. The weight loss will pick back up in a week or two.

I probably sound like a broken record...but the first SIX WEEKS post surgery are for healing - your body needs the Protein and calories to heal itself from the trauma of a major surgery, NOT to lose weight. I gained weight in those 6 wks, I forget how much now, but I wasn't worried about it - I focused on getting in as much good Protein as I could and trying to stay hydrated as I found I wasn't really very thirsty. THe majority of folks don't start seeing steady weight loss until after a fill, OR TWO...or more....it can be months after surgery before you can see the decline stay steady, so don't get discouraged now! We are in it for the long haul - it is a marathon, not a race. :)

Don't stress over the weight - and DON'T restrict your calories....or you will defeat the journey. You need to let your body heal - make sure to drink lotsa Water, too!

Hang in there - you will do fine!

Kim

Thanks Kim. I'm definitely going to stay between 950-1200 calories because that's what my doctor wants. I honestly wasn't beat up about the weight gain I just thought it was weird. Because I feel healed, ya know? But I realize my body is just adjusting. Plus, i got on the scale this morning and had lost the 6-7 lbs I had gained in the past week. So back to 269 I am and hopefully it's the last time I see that number :-)

You guys are great! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this journey :-)

I am just starting solids and have been terrified to eat much because I don't want to see the scale go in the opposite direction. I have read numerous times that the body is healing and that one should not worry about weight or weight gain. Because I am already losing slow and it would hurt my poor lil feelings if the scale says I gained weight. I am easily discouraged and feel that if I see a gain when I am trying I would be devastated.

I gained.back weight when I started mushie, don't remember how much. But heck 5 months ltr & down 50 lbs! It'll pick back up :)

:-) thanks beth! Congrats by the way! That's awesome!

I was banded on 6/30 and I did the exact same thing! I gained 6 pounds the week I started my solids, but low and behold a week later I was down 9lbs. Just keep doing what you are, it will all come together!

i went back to solids last night and this moring i was 221.2 up a pound

only had 1/2 potato and baby food banana --- i was kind of bumed out

i plan to go back to weighing myslef once a week to avoid driving myself nuts

After I started on solids and went for my first adjustment I had gained 2 pounds. My Dr said it was normal. I didn't have any Fluid in my band.