Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery memory loss???

Has anyone else noticed they are forgetting more things? I am only 30 yo and I had surgery 2/28/11. I am down about 30lbs but can't get over the plateau. I do have low thyroid activity but not perscribed anything for it. I swear there must be something to this because I have always been known for my ability to recall old information. What do I do, I think it is starting to show at work!!!!

PS: my grandma died of alzheimers at 93 so I'm a little concerned.... no a LOT concerned

Has anyone else noticed they are forgetting more things? I am only 30 yo and I had surgery 2/28/11. I am down about 30lbs but can't get over the plateau. I do have low thyroid activity but not perscribed anything for it. I swear there must be something to this because I have always been known for my ability to recall old information. What do I do, I think it is starting to show at work!!!!

PS: my grandma died of alzheimers at 93 so I'm a little concerned.... no a LOT concerned

I feel/live your pain!

I totally know what you're talking about. Three years ago I had spinal fusion surgery. Afterwards and still to this day, I have the hardest time remembering the little things. I used to be able to recall every little trivial thing...now...it's gone. My spine surgeon said it was due to my body working to heal itself and fuse the bone that it was taking energy from everywhere to do it. But now? Stress maybe. Sometimes I forget my words.... so tired of being stupid LOL :blink:

I can't tell you if it gets better, I'm still waiting! :huh:

I think this is a real phenomenon, as is pregnancy brain and as I've discovered recently, so is chemo brain. After a couple of surgeries, three pregnancies and six months of chemo, I dont think I have much brain left!

I lost my car at the shopping centre yesterday. I was seriously ready to go and report it stolen. I couldnt even retrace my steps because I had absolutely and utterly no memory of arriving at the mall, which door I'd gone in, etc. I just stood there stupidly turning around in circles. It took me about 40 minutes to walk up and down every single level and aisle. Then I remembered I'd left it to be hand washed and cleaned out - D'oh!

I feel ya, I keep forgetting what day things happened AND I'm talking recent things...

I am the same way. Can't remember anything anymore. I have to ask my 5 year old to remind me of things because I just can't remember anymore and like you my grand mother also died of Alzheimer’s and it scares me too. I've noticed this happening to me for several years now and I have had previous surgeries but never thought momory loss could be related to them. Maybe it's stress related. I hope anyway. :unsure:

It's scary to think surgery to fix one problem caused another. With my grandma's diagnosis, the doctor said usually a traumatic thing happens to start the rollercoaster. She was in a car accident. I hope this surgery to extend one quality of life doesn't take away from another. Its like the butterfly effect on my body.

I have been using OLD AGE and CHEMO BRAIN, I'll just add this one when needed. Maybe that's why I forget to eat blink.gif

I've lost my car before and I wasn't that old at the time. Couldn't remember which floor of the multistorey carpark it was on. It wasn't old age and wasn't post surgery but my son was only a couple of years old so it could still have been that. I still believe that porridge brain syndrome starts when you are pregnant and doesn't end until they turn 21. My youngest is 16 so I still have a few years to go and then Alzheimers will probably kick in!

I was concerned that I was the only person linking the surgery with memory loss. I have had a never ending case of the "stupids". Customers/clients call, and from point A to point B I seem to have either forgotten their name or reason for why they were calling. I leave dates/descriptions off paperwork, and part numbers and prices I used to be able to recall in my sleep. It is frustrating to say the least, and I am starting to rely on those 5 hr energy shot thingies to stay alert.