Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who set your goal weigh?

I asked the PA at my last visit before surgery and he looked at the computer and said it was 158

The doc never discussed it with me….post chemo I was 152 and while at 5 4 I think it’s still a little over

At 158 I should be a size 10 or a 8 if its big but honestly would like to be less that 150 even 149 would be good.

I want to try and add the counter at the bottom but am not sure what to have as my goal

Set your goal ant whatever YOU think it should be. You can always change your mind...and your ticker!

I set my own goal. The nutritionist counselled me that most lap band patients will loose a certain percentage...I think it was 65% but I could be wrong, of the excess weight. She asked if I would be satisfied with that if that's what I ended up with and I said yes but my goal is more than 65%. In fact, I'm past that now and am not even a year post-op. I think you should be conscious of the health care providers' suggestion and be realistic but you can always have your own goal in mind.

I asked the PA at my last visit before surgery and he looked at the computer and said it was 158

The doc never discussed it with me….post chemo I was 152 and while at 5 4 I think it's still a little over

At 158 I should be a size 10 or a 8 if its big but honestly would like to be less that 150 even 149 would be good.

I want to try and add the counter at the bottom but am not sure what to have as my goal

@ Helen098 - I just picked my own. I figure my body will tell me where it wants to be but I know where I'd like to be.

@nu2ywg - is that 65% of the weight you started out at? If so, thats great!

I am confused about this as well. My band Dr. set my goal at 149, while my regular Dr. says 175. 65% according to the NUT would put me at 185. I am big-boned and 6ft tall. Who knows - I'll see when I get there!

I am confused about this as well. My band Dr. set my goal at 149, while my regular Dr. says 175. 65% according to the NUT would put me at 185. I am big-boned and 6ft tall. Who knows - I'll see when I get there!

At 6 ft tall a healthy weight for you would be anywhere from 136 to 185. Since you have a large frame I would think toward the higher end would be better than the lower. I'm sure you'll figure it out when you get there.

I set mine based on a chart I saw online.

Height Low Target High

5' 1"

According to my dr my goal weight is 175... Although I think that will be too high for my 5'4" frame. My goal is between 145-160... Who knows though. Whats more important to me is how I feel. I'd like to be a size 8. And I'm not sure what weight that puts me at exactly. So we'll see :-)

I set my owe...i just want to be in the normal range of my BMI my range is 101-136 lbs. My goal weight us 130, which will give me a little room to never go over 135 lbs. I have 42 lbs left to my goal. Hoping I hit my goal by my 40th..in 7 mos to go!

My goal weight still has my BMI listed as overweight (by around 30 lbs or more). I HATE those charts though. So much more plays into your build than your height and the size of your bones. I figured if I get to my goal (180 lbs) and I think I need to keep going I will. But honestly, I'm currently right around 240 in a size 18 jeans (some 16s) and a L/XL top. I'm like 5'5"-5'6" so not tall by any means. I know size wise, I compare to people that weigh a LOT less than I do. I'm very muscular (the healthy fat girl if you may). For this reason, I think it is important to listen to your own body. Find the weight that you and your body are comfortable at. Helen - this is your journey! Pick what you feel is right for you. :D

I set it. The doctor said it was about what size I wanted to be, not any charts. So my goal weight is a lot higher than what a chart would probably say.

I set my own goal. The nutritionist counselled me that most lap band patients will loose a certain percentage...I think it was 65% but I could be wrong, of the excess weight. She asked if I would be satisfied with that if that's what I ended up with and I said yes but my goal is more than 65%. In fact, I'm past that now and am not even a year post-op. I think you should be conscious of the health care providers' suggestion and be realistic but you can always have your own goal in mind.

Okay. I'm confused on this 65%. Does this mean if I start out at 250 I can lose 162.50 pounds or I can only get down to 162.50 pounds? :blink:

No.. The average lap bander loses 65% of their excess body weight. Therefore, if you weigh a hundred pounds overweight, the average person loses 65 lbs.

Yup, 65% of your excess, not 65% of your overall weight. So basically the statistics are that bandsters don't lose all their excess but they do make some great progress. Of course there will be people who lose more and some who lose less.

I set my own goal, my surgeon never even mentioned one. The focus was more losing weight to get healthy.

At 5ft 10, I have spent a lot of my adult life at about 180 and I know for me that's pretty beefy, its definitely plus size territory and I was so unhappy with that weight that I dieted myself fat over a period of about ten years. I'd reached 160 once or twice and knew that was okaaaaaaay, not brilliant, still a bit plump, so I aimed for 150. I got there pretty easily and maintained that easily.

Post chemo I was as low as 130, pretty darn skinny, now I'm sitting around 140 and its perfect for me. I love this weight, I've definitely been called slim and thin lately and to be honest, that's what I wanted - to be slim. I wasnt happy with 150, great as an achievement as it was, I'm a perfectionist.

So..... yeah, I set my own goal and decided where I liked beign the most. I've seen my lapband doc quite a lot this year to refill from my big surgery last November and I think she thinks I should be heavier because I've had to argue long and hard to get my band refilled at ALL, so I've changed to a different doctor in the clinic, one who's a bit more on my page. This is my body, my band and within the limits of healthy attitudes to food and exercise, I think I should be able to use it the way I want to. Not filling me because I wasnt overweight is ridiculous.