Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very back and fourth..Help?

I dont even know if im posting this right but here goes, I have been heavy my whole life and through out I have lost 80 gained 80 lost 50 gained 50 and so on. I am currently 27 and wiegh 230ish. I know my bmi is over 40 and so now I am looking into this surgery. I really would like to try but I guess my questions are, How is the recovery? Do you get sick often from eating, (I heard sometime you vomit because of what you eat or because it cant be swallowed.) How supportive are your friends? Thanks so much for your time and honestly I dont know if my insurance will cover this where I am right on the BMI line according to my doctor but i'd much rather have some answers before I get the yes or no. =)

I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I was 240 when I went to the seminar. Nov. 08, I started making changes in how I ate to help me get ready mostly mentaly. Surgery was March 09, doc put in about 2 cc at that time. I was overnight because of insurance, I was able to keep down fluids on first try and was on full liquids (carnation instant breakfast) when I left the hospital. Little pain, gas was the big deal; I went out that night and the next two. I was just sitting, but I was out. Most folks seem to have a problem with hunger until they get to the just right fill spot. I never have had that hunger issue, as long as I followed the guidelines the weight came off. My "problem" is that I forget to eat. You need to learn how to eat, when and how much. Smaller bites, more chewing and don't drink with meals, but you still need to get in plenty of liquids. Inches came off sometimes even if pounds didn't; making better food choices seems to be the key. I lost about 60 lbs and got lazy and have not followed the course as I should. When you don't problems can come up. I got stuck and had the food come up. I went back to the table and I shouldn't have. I didn't know that and caused some problems for myslef that were really just swelling but that's not good for us. That required an unfill, then I waited to long to refill and gained 19 lbs. I have gotten them off but it took almost 6 months. I had a fill 2 weeks ago and have ture restriction for the first time. I am relearning some things because it is new for me. I hope to start geting some more weight off in the next few weeks.

The experience if different for everyone. Type of band, doctors experience, your committment and lifestyle will all play a part in this. I only told my family and the few people I spent the most time with. Once people started to notice I told the ones I thought would understand, others I just said thanks. Emotionaly I am in a better place, health is much better. BP down and I have more energy, I can also shop in "normal" stores. :)

Lots of info is here, just browse and you will find many things of value.

It's always great to post after Niterun because she has such practical advice to offer! I'll answer the two simple questions based on personal experience - recovery wasn't too bad at all, very little pain with the incisions, just shoulder pain for about 10 days or so. I took two weeks off work. And I don't get sick from eating - this may make me lucky, or simply that I am too scared to break the eating rules because I hate vomiting! I've significantly changed my eating habits and am really doing well with weight loss. The only difficulties I have are when I eat too fast or too much and then I get shoulder pain.

It's always great to post after Niterun because she has such practical advice to offer! I'll answer the two simple questions based on personal experience - recovery wasn't too bad at all, very little pain with the incisions, just shoulder pain for about 10 days or so. I took two weeks off work. And I don't get sick from eating - this may make me lucky, or simply that I am too scared to break the eating rules because I hate vomiting! I've significantly changed my eating habits and am really doing well with weight loss. The only difficulties I have are when I eat too fast or too much and then I get shoulder pain.

cool.gif Thanks

Thanks for all the help guys! All that info helped alot, I decided to go with the surgery, I am now 3 days post op and I feel good, the second day was tough but today I feel great =)

That's Great ! Come on over to the other side, and see the info you might need.