Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Liquid Diet. Soups?

It's been a bit challenging for me surfing this site because it seems that so many people have different Pre-Op diets, or none at all! Let me tell you what mine is all about

- 5 shakes a day (I'm taking Glucerna or Muscle Milk Light) about 8oz per serving.

- 2 cups of Veggies (I have a strict list, and no corn, peas, potatoes or beans)

- 2 Tablespoons of fat free dressing

- Up to 30 calories of sugar free Jello, popsicles or gum

- Unlimited amount of Low Sodium broth

I look forward to having my 2 cup mixed veggie salad for dinner, but throughout the day I've been pretty hungry still. Since I can have as much Soup as I want, I was thinking it would be smart to fill me self up on that.

Unfortunately I can't add any salt, just some herbs (easy on the spices) and I could use some veggies from my 2 cup a day limit. I don't know what to do, or what herbs or spices I can use. My Soups just taste bland.

Any ideas? recipes to share?

Thanks in advance!

You are right, Pre Op diets are all so different! I had to do the Adkins Diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. This was to lose help lose about 10% of my weight and to help shrink the spleen. Evidently it is easier to to do the surgery if the spleen is smaller (since it is close by).

My post diet for 4 weeks (liquids) sounds very similiar to what you mentioned in your post!

I did NOT like the taste of the Muscle Milk. I use the Unjury Mix (Choc and Strawberry) for Protein. I also like the Adkins Nutritional drinks (they taste the best to me, but are only 15 g protein per serving, the Unjury shake is 20 g of protein per serving.

Getting 45-50 grams of protein per day will help make you feel full!!!! It is sometimes hard to do...:rolleyes:

I make Cauliflower Soup all the time and it's so good.

Take a head of Cauliflower and chop it up into small pieces.

Chop 1 carrot up into small pieces

Chop 1 celery stalk into small pieces.

Dump all of that into a pot and add beef broth about 1/2 up the way up the pot.

Medium high heat till everything is mushy. Mash the contents with a potato masher till it looks like semi chunky mashed potatoes.

Add pepper, mrs. Dash to taste.

Now when you allowed..... for some extra Protein I add about 1.5 cups milk and a tbsp butter and mix it all in.

It's super yummy!

You are right, Pre Op diets are all so different! I had to do the Adkins Diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. This was to lose help lose about 10% of my weight and to help shrink the spleen. Evidently it is easier to to do the surgery if the spleen is smaller (since it is close by).

My post diet for 4 weeks (liquids) sounds very similiar to what you mentioned in your post!

I did NOT like the taste of the Muscle Milk. I use the Unjury Mix (Choc and Strawberry) for Protein. I also like the Adkins Nutritional drinks (they taste the best to me, but are only 15 g protein per serving, the Unjury shake is 20 g of protein per serving.

Getting 45-50 grams of protein per day will help make you feel full!!!! It is sometimes hard to do...:rolleyes:

My diet is really strict as far as what Protein Shakes I can take, and the one's you mentioned are unfortunately not on my list. My doc is being pretty strict about it. I agree with you on the muscle milk by the way. The taste for me is just OK, but the after taste is what really kills me, it's like having a mouth full of stamp glue for hours.

I'm pretty happy with Glucerna though, very sweet and tasty.

I make Cauliflower Soup all the time and it's so good.

Take a head of Cauliflower and chop it up into small pieces.

Chop 1 carrot up into small pieces

Chop 1 celery stalk into small pieces.

Dump all of that into a pot and add beef broth about 1/2 up the way up the pot.

Medium high heat till everything is mushy. Mash the contents with a potato masher till it looks like semi chunky mashed potatoes.

Add pepper, mrs. Dash to taste.

Now when you allowed..... for some extra protein I add about 1.5 cups milk and a tbsp butter and mix it all in.

It's super yummy!

Wow, thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely have to try it out!