Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling like Im not making progress

I am recently banded on July 14th and I feel as though im not making ANY progress at all. I am eating healthy and staying active. I just had a fill like 2 weeks ago. Can any one give me suggestions on why I may not be losing any weight?

Your body might still be in recovery mode from the surgery. I'm a slow loser so I understand your frustration. I think that really keeping hydrated has started my weight loss again...oh & take your measurements vs just using the scale. If you're eating "right" & you're active, I bet you are losing inches & you don't even realize it. :)

I agree with what PinkTulip said.

I was banded on 7/27/2011 and have only lost 4 lbs since my post op visit. I was told that was great since alot ppl actually gain during the first mnth.. As Pinktulip said your body is probably in recovery mode still..

Try and stay positive and remember slow and steady wins the race!

I agree with the ladies above. I'm slow loser, only 39lbs since banded 03/07/2011. But I look like I've lost a lot more. I'm down 3 sizes in clothes due to inches lost. Good Luck.

I agree with the ladies above. I'm slow loser, only 39lbs since banded 03/07/2011. But I look like I've lost a lot more. I'm down 3 sizes in clothes due to inches lost. Good Luck.

Thank you'll i was feeling the same way

I am recently banded on July 14th and I feel as though im not making ANY progress at all. I am eating healthy and staying active. I just had a fill like 2 weeks ago. Can any one give me suggestions on why I may not be losing any weight?

You really did not give a whole lot of information for us to help you.

Were you on any special post op diet? (Liquid/mushy/etc.)

Are you getting 40-60 grams of protein/day?

Are you drinking 50-60 oz of Water every day?

Are you restricted with sugar? (some shakes are high in sugar and can cause weight gain)

How much have you lost? (what weight did you start at?/before surgery?/since surgery?)

Did you have any other surgeries when you were banded?

How many calories/day? (you really need between 1000-1200/day in order to lose weight)

The program that I am in, we are mixed with all surgeries (band, gastric bypass, and sleeve). While it may seem, like you are not making progress, you actually might be making great progress.

Also, another way of looking at this. . . If you are like me, overweight for most of your adult life, I am usually gaining weight. If you have NOT gained weight or have lost a little ---- that is a WIN!! It takes time to about face and lose weight after being overweight. (I hope that makes sense)

What I am trying to say, is that we are not all the same. There are so many factors that affect our progress. Talk with your nutritionist, doctor, therapist and find out. Log everything that you are eating/drinking. Measure everything. Meet with your nutritionist and they will help you find the solution. You may be overlooking something quite simple, that will make the difference.

The band is not the answer. Restriction is not the answer. (It only helps with our feeling of fullness and our hunger sensation) It is a tool to get you the answer. Sorry to say, but the truth is that nutrition is really the answer.

Good luck to you.

I too am a slow looser. I exercise everyday and eat right too. I have lost 13 lbs in a month. But most of that came from my first 2 weeks. I have noticed the inches even though the lbs are not coming off. Keep your head up. It is a lifestyle change. I have to keep telling myself that I took a long time for me to get this way, it could take a while for me to get where I want to be.

I agree with the measurements! I am a slow loser as well. I have lost about 30 lbs since being banded in may. That's about 10 lbs a month average (which is right where I need to be to make my goal of 120-130 lbs in one year). My first 20 lbs I didn't feel like I had lost anything but people could notice. Well I hit a plateau after that and was really frustrated. I took my measurements 2 months in and I had lost 5 inches from my waist and 7 from my thighs! You may not notice the changes right away but the measurents don't lie :)