Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I am starting on my jorney. I made the decision that the Lap Band is the right thing for me. Now I am gathering information so I can figure out the logistics: when, where, which doctor to use, etc...

Thank you

Luci

I leave in Dallas, TX. I just found out that my insurance covers the procedure but there are so many criteria that I am not sure I can get it approved. I will am guessing I will end up paying for it out of pocket, but it is so expensive!! I thought about Mexico, but I have two little ones and my husband will not let me do it (he says my children and my parents will never forgive me if anything ever happens to me in Mexico)! So now I will research cost and financing options. I appreciate any help.

Luci

Hi Luci - Welcome to LBT! You will find lots of information here on this board, please take the time to read all the old as well as the new information here. Make sure to do a lot of research before making any decisions. Good luck and keep up posted.

Hi Luci,

My name is Donna and I've just decided to have the lap band surgery too. I also live in the D/FW area (Grand Prairie). I call Dr. Sewell at the Master Surgery Center in Plano. My insurance covers the surgery but, apparently, I have to be DEAD for them to approve it! :-) Seriously, they won't cover me unless I have such serious complications that I would be close to dead. I can't wait for my health to deteriorate to that point before having surgery. Dr. Sewell's office quoted me approximately $20,000 for self pay - including after care and unlimited fills. I decided I had to pursue foreign surgery. I found a doctor in Mexico who has a US liason and some really reassuring credentials. The cost they quoted was $10,600 plus airfare and food. The cost of the hotel, hospital, surgeon, anesthesia, drugs, transfers to and from airport and hotel are included in the $10,600. They also gave me references to local doctors for follow-up care at average rates. Their website is very comprehensive. I know your husband is against the foreign surgery but it's worth looking at again. Their website is gastricband.com By the way, I'm on this message board because Cathy (Dr. Rubout's US liason) recommended it. I hope you'll post again, I'd like to keep in touch with someone this close to home who's at the same stage I am. Donna

hey sister! i am self pay also. Dr. spivak in houston charges 15K. on friday, yesterday, i scheduled my surgery. his rep gave me an itemized bill. the 15k covers everything. any pre-op testing is additional, but he just gives you a list of tests, and you take it to your pcp and he/she orders the tests. insurance should cover it. i am healthy, just overweight. so fortunately, he did not order any pre-op tests. the fills and office visits are covered for a year in this fee. in my research up to this point, i have found this fee to be competitive. in comparison to going to Mexico, well, i decided that if i can come up with $10k, then i can come up with $15k. sure enough, we came up with the full amount. i am sure you could invest 5k going to mexico for fills pretty quick.

i am definitly not knocking anyone's choice of going to mexico, i am just relaying what i have considered and decided upon.

whatever you decide, good luck!

Hi all.

I was banded on Janaury 12 by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey Mexico. It was a great decision for my being a self pay. I was treated well and don't regret my decision.

I arranged for aftercare, fills, spoke to my insurance company to see what would happen if something went wrong when I got back and had to go to a local hospital. I made a list and addressed everything I could think of before I left.

Do your research to find the best option for you. Know all the risks and make sure you have follow up care.

Good luck on your journey.... it has been the best thing I have done for myself.

Donna

I know that Doctor Jayaseelan charges $15K for his self pay patients. That includes the surgeon, the hospital and the gas passer.

Thank you all for being so nice. I have decided that I will do the surgery I just need to work out the logistics. It might take a while, but I will do it. I really appreciate all the information and I would like to be part of this community, it sounds like a wonderful and very supportive group. I am hoping you all will help me not only through the initial research process but also throughout the whole ordeal. I am sure I will need a whole more support after the surgery than I need right now. And I would love to share my experience with everybody too.

Luci

Hi Luci! I hope you can work through the insurance issues, because the more and more carriers who pay for it, and the larger the banded-in-the-USA population gets, the better chance that it will be more readily approved for others in the future.

Whatever you decide and however it shakes out for you, I'm glad you found us and we look forward to getting to know you. :puke: