Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got a bodymedia fit. I've been plateaued for about 4 weeks and I'm trying to figure out why. I'm wondering what is a good deficit to aim for? And how much is to much? I'm trying to see if maybe I need to eat more or less. Today was my first day wearing it, but I don't have the complete picture yet since I apparently didn't fully charge it and it died halfway through the day. (apparently it won't charge with my laptop closed, to bad I found this out the annoying way...lol). I workout anywhere from 5-7 days a week burning a minimum of 450 calories, well see what it truly is tomorrow. I'd love to hear opinions. I'll update with my calorie deficit after a full day.

Shoot for no more than a 500 calorie deficit per day. Anymore isn't healthy nor recommended, IMO. If you do a big deficit (ie. 750-1000 per day) you'll need to incorporate days where you eat at your maintenance calories (the calories you burn in a day) otherwise your metabolism is going to take a big hit.

is that including workouts? Because even though I wasn't wearing it the whole day I had like a 1700 calorie deficit. (My job is such that I'm on my feet my whole shift and walking around, bending and lifting, I'm an LVT, basically a nurse for animals) That includes my workout that burned over 500 calories. Doesn't a 500 calorie deficit only make you lose one pound per week? I'm guessing you mean that is without workouts and get the other 500 from working out. So maybe I truly do need to eat more.I'm going to see what happened today and tomorrow morning (my weigh in) because this morning the scale had actually moved (my official weigh in is Thursday, so it doesn't count today). after today, we'll see what my calorie burn actually is (though today is usually my day off, but I'm covering at work, but it's a short shift so may not truly reflect my normal work day) and maybe I'll try to eat more tomorrow.

If I do need to eat more, do you have any suggestions on healthy things to eat, because I do not want to start eating the wrong things due to this. I have a recheck appointment next Thursday with my surgeon and as of right now, I' dreading going since my loos in the past 5 weeks has been 1.5 lb which is very sad to me and I'm sure he'll be supportive, but I don't like it. Also my sister is getting married in November and I had hopes of being like 170 by then, since this plateau it's not gonna happen. Maybe if I do increase my calories, my weight will drop quick, not sure.

I always like your advice reverie, so I'd love to hear more.

No I mean your total burn from 12:00AM-12:00PM. For example, when I used my BMF, I burned anywhere between 2300-2400 calories a day. That is with a workout and my normal daily activities. So each day I'd eat 1700-1800 calories. So yes, 500 calorie deficit a day, about a pound loss a week. If you want to do a bigger calorie deficit, go for it, but I can tell you from experience it's not wise or advisable. My metabolism/thyroid are ruined at the moment due to such large deficits. But, you make that call yourself.

As for healthy things to eat, hm..that's your call. I've lost the mindset of healthy vs. nonhealthy foods; I like to think no food is "taboo" and I've truly learned a calorie is a calorie from the general standpoint, but I don't like to argue that with anyone (lol!)

I like eating almonds, carrots, Protein Bars, greek yogurt with granola or Cereal, fruit (peaches recently!), etc. Just be sure you're getting enough protein/fat throughout the day with whatever you do choose to eat.

Don't lose track of your hopes yet :) The scale may not register 170 but you could be losing inches, which is much better than a decrease on the scale. And while 1.5lbs may not seem a lot, it's 1.5lbs closer to your goal. Keep that in mind.

Let me know if you need anymore help!

I just got a bodymedia fit. I've been plateaued for about 4 weeks and I'm trying to figure out why. I'm wondering what is a good deficit to aim for? And how much is to much? I'm trying to see if maybe I need to eat more or less. Today was my first day wearing it, but I don't have the complete picture yet since I apparently didn't fully charge it and it died halfway through the day. (apparently it won't charge with my laptop closed, to bad I found this out the annoying way...lol). I workout anywhere from 5-7 days a week burning a minimum of 450 calories, well see what it truly is tomorrow. I'd love to hear opinions. I'll update with my calorie deficit after a full day.

Please continue to update. This is very interesting. I have never heard of a bodymedia fit. How does it work? I assume you got it from your dr?

I shoot for 1,000 calorie deficit per day and that did mean that I had to start eating more on the days I work out. Now I should also point out that the 1,000 daily deficit has not translated to an average 2 lb weekly loss...more like 1.5 lbs a week on average and I'm happy with that.

As far as what to eat to get the additional calories...I try to keep it Protein based or a piece of fruit. I have gone from eating 3 meals a day to eating 3 meals and 2-3 Snacks (even if I'm not necessarily hungry). I reviewed what I'm doing with my nutritionist and she is fine with it.

Ok, so in I guess I am eating to little with that beig of a deficit. I'm going to try to up my calories and see where it goes. I'm going to do it slowly though I don't want to jump from 1200-1300 to 1800 overnight so we'll see. I mean I just came back from my kickboxing class and I burned 580 calories, so with what reverie says I already have my deficit for the day and I should eat whatever else I burn (not going to today, but you know). I know I should be happy about the 1.5 lb, but I'm just so not.

Oldiebutgoodie, a bodymedia is the same basically as a bodybugg. Not sure if you watch the biggest loser (I don't) but apparently that's what they use on the show. You wear it all the time and it tells you exactly how much your body burns calorie wise. So you know how much you need to eat and stuff. You can get it online. I couldn't find any stores that sell it (at least the Bluetooth model). A bit pricey and you need to have a subscription for using it, but so far I like it and it seems much more accurate than my polar HR monitor (at least during kickboxing where my HR kept saying zero because of jumping and stuff

When I upped my calories I did it slowly -- 100 calories a week. Definitely keep me posted!

absolutely! i've been reading online and most of what I've read says not to go over a 1000 calorie deficit> and it seems to say, like 500 under your bmr and 500 in exercise. So I'm going to try this. I need to do something and I've probably killed my metabolism from having this kind of deficit for so long. Also you said you limit any foods you eat. I haven't either, if I want a chip, I will have them, problem is I find it had to stop. WHich is why I don't buy them, but if they are at work, I'll eat them. I'm really hoping that this works. Maybe I'll try some nuts since they are healthy for you, I need to find them in individual servings though, since I know I would not be able to control myself with a whole bag. I'll go to costco or something.

I've worn mine daily since February. It helps me stay on track, and I don't need to worry about every little detail anymore. (Oldiebutgoodie2, go to www.bodymedia.com to learn more about this cool tool.)

I'm active enough every day that I have my Bodymedia FIT plan configured for a 1000 calorie deficit. That translates to two pounds a week, which is what I'm losing, more or less. I'm not as fanatical as I once was about the numbers, and I find general numbers are good enough for me these days. My life is too busy for me to track every calorie in or out.

Depending on the day, and what I'm doing, I eat between 1000 and 1500 calories a day. I try to get ten percent of my calories as Protein grams. That is to say, if I eat 1200 calories in a day, I shoot for 120g of Protein. I try to keep my carbs 50-60% of that gram number, so if it's 120g of protein, I try for 60-72g of carbs. This seems to work well for me, because if I eat too many carbs, my weight loss slows or even stops.

Jess, what I'd recommend is wear the FIT daily for a week or so, track everything you can track, and make adjustments accordingly only after you have an idea of how the armband is recording things. You can adjust how easily (or not) it tracks your movement, so you can get more or less movement to be recorded. But give it time to show you some "normal" activity before changing your diet or exercise regimen. You may find tweaking the armband settings will give you the numbers you want.

What blew me away was tracking my calories with the food log it has. I recorded every calorie I ate at first, and I was amazed at how they added up - not so much the food calories, but the other nutrition parts, like sugar or fat. Even eating "healthy" it was amazing at how much sugar I was eating.

All in all, the Bodymedia FIT armband has been a great helper in this journey of mine. I won't be without it.

Dave

absolutely! i've been reading online and most of what I've read says not to go over a 1000 calorie deficit> and it seems to say, like 500 under your bmr and 500 in exercise. So I'm going to try this. I need to do something and I've probably killed my metabolism from having this kind of deficit for so long. Also you said you limit any foods you eat. I haven't either, if I want a chip, I will have them, problem is I find it had to stop. WHich is why I don't buy them, but if they are at work, I'll eat them. I'm really hoping that this works. Maybe I'll try some nuts since they are healthy for you, I need to find them in individual servings though, since I know I would not be able to control myself with a whole bag. I'll go to costco or something.

Ahh I'm just like you! Look for the Blue Diamond 100 calorie packs. I live by them!

Ok, so in I guess I am eating to little with that beig of a deficit. I'm going to try to up my calories and see where it goes. I'm going to do it slowly though I don't want to jump from 1200-1300 to 1800 overnight so we'll see. I mean I just came back from my kickboxing class and I burned 580 calories, so with what reverie says I already have my deficit for the day and I should eat whatever else I burn (not going to today, but you know). I know I should be happy about the 1.5 lb, but I'm just so not.

Oldiebutgoodie, a bodymedia is the same basically as a bodybugg. Not sure if you watch the biggest loser (I don't) but apparently that's what they use on the show. You wear it all the time and it tells you exactly how much your body burns calorie wise. So you know how much you need to eat and stuff. You can get it online. I couldn't find any stores that sell it (at least the Bluetooth model). A bit pricey and you need to have a subscription for using it, but so far I like it and it seems much more accurate than my polar HR monitor (at least during kickboxing where my HR kept saying zero because of jumping and stuff

Thank you so much for the info. I go in for a fill in two weeks, so I'll ask my dr. about a prescription for one! Just wondering, how much is "pretty pricy?" Can you recommend a brand or website, for when I do get the prescription for one? Does the dr. have to say in the prescription the specific brand? This is all so new to me! I have watched the biggest loser in the past and have seen the bands they wear. Thought they were something like a pedometer!

As an aside, I stopped watching biggest loser cause they work so damn hard, only to gain it back again, unless they go into the fitness trainer business! Wish they would do a biggest loser segment with people who have gotten the lap band. I would sign up in a minute!

Thank you so much for the info. I go in for a fill in two weeks, so I'll ask my dr. about a prescription for one! Just wondering, how much is "pretty pricy?" Can you recommend a brand or website, for when I do get the prescription for one? Does the dr. have to say in the prescription the specific brand? This is all so new to me! I have watched the biggest loser in the past and have seen the bands they wear. Thought they were something like a pedometer!

As an aside, I stopped watching biggest loser cause they work so damn hard, only to gain it back again, unless they go into the fitness trainer business! Wish they would do a biggest loser segment with people who have gotten the lap band. I would sign up in a minute!

This is not a prescription item. As I indicated in my post above, go to www.bodymedia.com to learn about this armband, and what it does. You can buy it from them directly, but I found them cheaper at BestBuy.com and costco.com. They also sell that on Amazon.com. Shop around to get the best deal.

Dave

You don't need a prescription. Just buy it online. My bluetooth model I got on Amazon.com for $219, was like $244 after shipping and tax. I chose the year long commitment for the subscription so $6.95 a month (not bad).

I'll definitely look for the 100 calorie packs reverie, thanks.

Dave, I'll consider what you said, but I'm still gonna up my calories at least 100 or 200 this week. I really dso now think I'm in starvation mode.

So first week of Bodymedia fit and increasing calories. Ate 1400 calories daily this week. Lost 1 lb. Better than nothing. I think I actually lost more, as the scale was lower for a couple of days, then I ate Chinese food and I went up, so I think it is Water weight. Also my sodium intake has been high the last few days. Also I'm PMSing. So I hope I'm actually down more. We'll see. This week I'm going to try to eat 1500 calories daily and see how that goes.

My daily deficit, including exercise was usually 1400-1700, one day I had a over 1900 calorie deficit and one day I did not exercise I was almost on track at a 1064 calorie deficit. So we'll see what next week brings.

I have an appointment with my doc today and I'm dreading it because I've lost a little over 4 lb in 6 weeks. I'm so disappointed in myself. I guess I will tell him, I hit a plateau but I'm overcoming it. I'm sure he'll understand.

Edit: After my appointment

So, my doc said he was happy with my weight loss. But I don't think he was, he wanted to give me an adjustment. I declined saying that I already feel crappy if I eat Breakfast. (I am totally not sure how he would react if I said I was purposefully eating more, so I don't want to tell him) He said well eat something tiny for Breakfast like an hardboiled egg white or something, then have a small amount of fruit a few hours later. It's weird because he said I should be eating 3 meals and 2 small Snacks. This is the first time, he has EVER said anything about eating a snack. Every other time he's said 3 meals only, no snacking! Weird. But oh well, I declined the fill, because I am already having trouble getting my calories up, a fill would make that worse. I'll see next month.

Edited by Jess55