Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am reading posts here on LBT and right on the page is an add to order Chili's online. My thought is that I am trying to stay away from eating out and bam it's right in my face. Just thought it was ridiculous.

That's pretty crazy but, on the other hand, one of the biggest things you need to learn is how to avoid temptation. I don't even read them anymore! Most of them seem to be for WLS. NEW FLASH, ADVERTISERS: WE'VE ALREADY HAD THAT!!!! :rolleyes:

My reaction to those ads now "i cant beleive I would that and fisnish it" or"i wonder how that would be like reheated"

Im finally starting to look at portions and go "really", you can really expect me to even eat a quarter of that....

These adds are driving me crazy! Not because of the food adds they just bug me on the side , in the middle of the post I wish we could get rid of them.

Hate to tell you ladies... but adds like these are controlled by what you look at on the internet. If you order food online for your family sometimes, then that's probably why the chillis add was there... I only have weight-loss adds.... books, and bands, and programs... and adds for random medical clinics.... because since my surgery is so recent, that's most of what I've been looking at. LBT doesn't have a say in which adds get played here, it's a computer program that looks at what websites your IP address has been on, and chooses adds it thinks you would be most likely to click on.

On another point, though... I really do wish we could get rid of the adds in the middle of the forum. those really are incredibly annoying.

The ads are paying for the website. I don't mind ignoring them.

Do a Google search for your favorite clothing store. Spend a few minutes on their website so your browser cache gets filled with their web pages. Then your ads on LBT will be targeted toward that instead. You'll see ads for them, not for food or WLS stuff.

"Targeted marketing" is just the latest in the browser wars over the user dollar. And since you can't turn off the ads that make LBT a free site, you may as well redirect the ads to things you'd enjoy looking at. Have fun with it.

Dave

Hate to tell you ladies... but adds like these are controlled by what you look at on the internet. If you order food online for your family sometimes, then that's probably why the chillis add was there... I only have weight-loss adds.... books, and bands, and programs... and adds for random medical clinics.... because since my surgery is so recent, that's most of what I've been looking at. LBT doesn't have a say in which adds get played here, it's a computer program that looks at what websites your IP address has been on, and chooses adds it thinks you would be most likely to click on.

On another point, though... I really do wish we could get rid of the adds in the middle of the forum. those really are incredibly annoying.

I don't order food online,,,nor do I look at food onlinel.....but yet Chili's slapped me in the face also!

I don't order food online,,,nor do I look at food onlinel.....but yet Chili's slapped me in the face also!

It would also be there if you've ever google-searched the address of a restaurant, not even necessarily chillis, but any restaurant - and it could be anyone on your computer, if you share it?

Anyway, I would take the previous posters advice and google search some stuff you're interested in and spend a couple minutes on other websites - clothing or jewellery, or anything... that will sway the adds for you :)

Do a Google search for your favorite clothing store. Spend a few minutes on their website so your browser cache gets filled with their web pages. Then your ads on LBT will be targeted toward that instead. You'll see ads for them, not for food or WLS stuff.

"Targeted marketing" is just the latest in the browser wars over the user dollar. And since you can't turn off the ads that make LBT a free site, you may as well redirect the ads to things you'd enjoy looking at. Have fun with it.

Dave

Good advise, as usual! Didn't know how it works. I'll try it. Thanks!