Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Erosion, The Real Facts

Christan - be thankful we didnt die???

Good lord. You should send Pleatman a resume. Sounds like you would fit right in with his office as a staff member.

These folks didnt start out by slaming and insulting anyone as you and Pleatman have done. They were simply expressing concerns about their own personal experiences with their own bodies. This is a message board designed for that. We have the right to share our failures, fears and victories without people like you coming here and starting your first post with your red thumbs down and insults to those of us who are friends.

Did you show up to start trouble, or are you looking for a group of friends who share the same struggles and are really here for one another? If you came for the first.. well, you're little more than a fart in the wind. You'll go away soon. And if you came for the latter, you've got some serious attitude changes to make before you'll fit it with this great group of considerate and caring people.

I came looking for support, but quickly found that this board is a real downer. I never insulted anyone PERSONALLY, weren't you the one that said if you can't say anything nice? The red thumbs down ment I don't agree.

What I don't understand is why are these eroded non-bandster staying on this board freaking everyone out. I have not seen a reason why I would want to "fit" into this group. I didn't realize this board was a clique.. I left wanting to fit in in 7th grade, I thought these boards were about sharing opinions, which is exactly what I was doing. I was offended by some of the comments...gave my opinion...

sorry you took it so personally. This email to me is pretty nasty AND PERSONALLY INSULTING, so I must have offended you as well..so it goes..

I will find somewhere else to go.

I AM THRILLED WITH MY BAND, I HAVE LOST 57 POUNDS IN 6 MONTHS. I LOVED MY Mexico EXPERIENCE AND ONLY HOPE THAT I DON'T HAVE TO PAY TO HAVE IT REMOVED IF IT ERODES. I WILL DEAL WITH IT IF IT HAPPENS AND MAYBE I WILL BE BACK SAYING I AM SORRY, YOU WERE ALL RIGHT.I MUST HAVE ERODED BECAUSE I WENT TO MEXICO..I WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE.

C

Did you mother never teach you the golden rule. If you do not have anything nice to say, say nothing at all. Try it we all might like it!.

Okay, this is somewhat off topic, but I HAVE to point out that the golden rule is NOT "if you do not have anything nice to say..."

It's the DO UNTO OTHERS... rule.

This is--rightly so-- an emotional topic. Perhaps we should ALL still our hearts and hurts for JUST A MOMENT and reflect on THE GOLDEN RULE--held as a universal truth in human faiths and philosophies:

<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Bahá'í World Faith: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42></TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbour that which thou choosest for thyself." Epistle to the Son of the Wolf<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Brahmanism: "This is the sum of duty: Do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you". Mahabharata, 5:1517<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Buddhism: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"...a state that is not pleasing or delightful to me, how could I inflict that upon another?" Samyutta NIkaya v. 353 <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful." Udana-Varga 5:18<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Christianity: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets." Matthew 7:12, King James Version.<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31, King James Version.<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42></TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Confucianism: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you" Analects 15:23<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Tse-kung asked, 'Is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?' Confucius replied, 'It is the word 'shu' -- reciprocity. Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.'" Doctrine of the Mean 13.3<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Try your best to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself, and you will find that this is the shortest way to benevolence." Mencius VII.A.4<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Ancient Egyptian:<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Do for one who may do for you, that you may cause him thus to do." The Tale of the Eloquent Peasant, 109 - 110 Translated by R.B. Parkinson. The original dates to 1970 to 1640 BCE and may be the earliest version ever written. <SUB>3</SUB><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Hinduism: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"One should not behave towards others in a way which is disagreeable to oneself." Mencius Vii.A.4 <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"This is the sum of the Dharma [duty]: do naught unto others which would cause you pain if done to you." Mahabharata 5:1517<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Humanism:<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"(5) Humanists acknowledge human interdependence, the need for mutual respect and the kinship of all humanity."<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"(11) Humanists affirm that individual and social problems can only be resolved by means of human reason, intelligent effort, critical thinking joined with compassion and a spirit of empathy for all living beings. " <SUB>4</SUB><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Don't do things you wouldn't want to have done to you, British Humanist Society. <SUB>3</SUB><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Islam: "None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself." Number 13 of Imam "Al-Nawawi's Forty Hadiths." <SUB>5</SUB><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Jainism: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Therefore, neither does he [a sage] cause violence to others nor does he make others do so." Acarangasutra 5.101-2. <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"In happiness and suffering, in joy and grief, we should regard all creatures as we regard our own self." Lord Mahavira, 24th Tirthankara<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated. "Sutrakritanga 1.11.33<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Judaism: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"...thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.", Leviticus 19:18 <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man. This is the law: all the rest is commentary." Talmud, Shabbat 31a.<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"And what you hate, do not do to any one." Tobit 4:15 <SUB>6</SUB><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Native American Spirituality: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Respect for all life is the foundation." The Great Law of Peace.<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"All things are our relatives; what we do to everything, we do to ourselves. All is really One." Black Elk<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Roman Pagan Religion: "The law imprinted on the hearts of all men is to love the members of society as themselves."<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Shinto: "The heart of the person before you is a mirror. See there your own form"<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Sikhism: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Compassion-mercy and religion are the support of the entire world". Japji Sahib <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Don't create enmity with anyone as God is within everyone." Guru Arjan Devji 259<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"No one is my enemy, none a stranger and everyone is my friend." Guru Arjan Dev : AG 1299<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Sufism: "The basis of Sufism is consideration of the hearts and feelings of others. If you haven't the will to gladden someone's heart, then at least beware lest you hurt someone's heart, for on our path, no sin exists but this." Dr. Javad Nurbakhsh, Master of the Nimatullahi Sufi Order.<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Taoism: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Regard your neighbor's gain as your own gain, and your neighbor's loss as your own loss." T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien. <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"The sage has no interest of his own, but takes the interests of the people as his own. He is kind to the kind; he is also kind to the unkind: for Virtue is kind. He is faithful to the faithful; he is also faithful to the unfaithful: for Virtue is faithful." Tao Teh Ching, Chapter 49 <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Unitarian: "We affirm and promote respect for the interdependent of all existence of which we are a part." Unitarian principles. <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Wicca: "An it harm no one, do what thou wilt" (i.e. do what ever you will, as long as it harms nobody, including yourself). One's will is to be carefully thought out in advance of action. This is called the Wiccan Rede<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Yoruba: (Nigeria): "One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts."<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Zoroastrianism: <!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"That nature alone is good which refrains from doing unto another whatsoever is not good for itself". Dadistan-i-dinik 94:5<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul2d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->"Whatever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others." Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--></TBODY></TABLE><!--mstheme--><!--msthemeseparator-->

topruled.gif

Some philosophers' statements are:

<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><!--msthemelist--><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Epictetus: "What you would avoid suffering yourself, seek not to impose on others." (circa 100 CE)<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Plato: "May I do to others as I would that they should do unto me." (Greece; 4<SUP>th</SUP> century BCE)<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Socrates: "Do not do to others that which would anger you if others did it to you." (Greece; 5<SUP>th</SUP> century BCE)<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR><!--msthemelist--><TR><TD vAlign=baseline width=42>topbul1d.gif</TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%"><!--mstheme-->Seneca: "Treat your inferiors as you would be treated by your superiors," Epistle 47:11 (Rome; 1<SUP>st</SUP> century CE)<!--mstheme--><!--msthemelist--></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And would you mind pointing out which one of us eroded patient is obsessing and sulking? I've personally lost 12 pounds since band removal due to the support of this board!

I am one of those eroded bandsters who is not sulikng either..I have moved on. No point crying over spilled milk..I am optimistic and I have found the possitive of all of this. I lost over 100 firggin lbs with my band before it eroded. Iam damn proud of that accomplishment! My band worked and I worked with my band....it eroded & for me to put all of my energy into why it eroded or sulk about would not do me one bit of good. My energy is now into how can I keep this weight off. How can I maintain and how can I continue to lose. We can all sit here and play the blame game and attack one another but for what reason? The fact remains we are all here for the same reason SUPPORT, we al lfight the same demon.. it is just some of us eroded and some of us havent. I too feel horrible to those who have eroded. I know how they are feeling but I have a choice to accept it or to not accept it..I have accepted it! I have just spoken the truth as it relates to my experience.

alot of posts equals respect..give me a break! I have not been attacking anyone.

Posting alot does not earn respect but the content posted can earn that respect or it can lose it as well.

I have not felt attacked by your comments but I have been stunned by them. I have shown you respect and tempered my comments. I would expect the same.

You are more than welcome here. This is a great place to share ideas, thoughts, feelings, in a safe environment. Just know and understand that not all will agree with your ideas, thoughts, and feelings.

What I don't understand is why are these eroded non-bandster staying on this board freaking everyone out.

Us eroded bandsters stay on this board because we still need support, we still are fighting the same demons, Just becuase I eroded doesnt not mean I am not a bandster. I still am trying to follow the bandster rules and take what I learned fro my band and continue to live this way. Have I said anything to freak anyone out? I just spoke about my experience which I feel many here are greatful to hear about.

thought these boards were about sharing opinions,

You are 100% correct,,this is why us NON bandsters stay, we are sharing our opinions and experiences also. I hope I have never said anything to any bandsters to freak them out

What I don't understand is why are these eroded non-bandster staying on this board freaking everyone out.

C

I can't speak for the other "eroded non-bandsters" as to why they stay on this board. I only know I stay for the support of like minded people that are looking for a way to battle the food demons.

I have not mentioned my erosion since it happened. I did give a detailed account of my experience as a hopeful tool for anyone seeking what could happen with regards to erosion.

Wow. This is amazing. I'm trying to weigh on on all sides of this discussion, and I have to admit, I find something to respect about EACH viewpoint, however well or poorly expressed!

I find respect for Dr Ortiz for posting this info, and especially for the excellent care he has given Michelle...THAT goes a long way in my book.

I find respect for Dr Pleatman for stating his viewpoints...and I DID drop my jaw at the "get on with it" comment. Some folks need to hear that, and when the timing is right, it might be a good thing to say. Many newly eroded bandsters aren't ready for that and one-on-one, or at least a more personal conversation, even on a message board, is a much more approriate..ahhhh...technique? Despite that, Dr Pleatman has been a valued member of LBT for a good little while now, and that goes a long way with me. Even spelling/grammar errors are forgivable.

I have respect for our Eroded bandsters and the grief they are experienceing. Don't tell me my band is eroded. I don't know how I'd react! So I take a "you feel the way you NEED to" approach and give support where I can.

I have respect for those who would refuse to go outside the US for their surgeries. More power to ya! REALLY!! It's a very personal decision and I'll respect yours if you'll respect mine.

I have respect for those who chose to go to MX for their surgeries, myself included. It's a very personal decision, please respect it. Please tell me everything you know so I can research well and be an informed patient. I own my choice. Maybe I'll regret it someday? If I do, I hope you all will be here to support me without a bunch of "I told you so's"

I have respect for the dissenting views expressed here. We all have something important to say. We can all learn from one another. We don't HAVE to agree. We do HAVE to respect. It's the rules.

Thanks everyone for a great thread. As I'm about to post this, there are 20 members and 10 guests reading this. It's a goodie!!!

New to this forum and already disgusted,

Cristan

If that wasnt an insult I dont know what one is. If you were only expressing you opinion, why did you end it by telling the members of this board that you were disgusted by their concerns and opions. Could you not tell that this was an emotionally charged topic for many? Whether you think they have suffered enough to warrant their upset or not, they did have the right to express it. Thats what we do here, give support and encouragement.

Then you cheer on the man who forgets how to be professional and tosses out a few of his own insults. I have been coming here for two months now and have never seen anything like this. Everyone here has been open, kind hearted, supportive, giving, caring and empathetic.

Something big must be happening for a doctor in Mexico and one in Michigan to jump on a message board and start defending things. Dr. Oritz, while I feel he didnt give all of the facts and was hoping to put out the fire and lessen the risk of losing any potential US patients (my opinion only), he was professional and seemed like he wanted to eleviate fears.

Dr. Pleatman came in with both guns blazing and basically told everyone to shut up and quit whinning. Flippantly told people he doesnt even know to go get a gastric bypass? And topped it all off with what I see as a religously bigoted remark. Unreal. And you cheered that. Again, if that's not insulting, then what is??

You know, you are probably a really nice person who has gone thru hell in life like the rest of us. Had you come here and gotten to know these people before you "expressed your opinion" you might have seen that noone was trying to slam anyone. But there are facts that DeLarla has pointed out in this thread that we as intelligent people would be stupid to close our eyes too. I am sure that noone wanted to insult anyone who's been banded by Dr. Oritz or Lopez. This was not meant to point out how stupid anyone was for going to them. It was a group of concerned people looking at facts. We have the right to look at the facts and say, "Hey, this isnt right. Someone should check into that before more people seriously affected by this."

You got off on the wrong foot. Stick around and lurk for a while. See what really great people there are here. Maybe you'll see you were wrong to judge so quickly.

I suppose this is the one comment I'm having a hard time with. Our eroded band sisters are here because we are friends. We've spent lots of time together over the months and years. We care about each other. So, yeah, I kinda feel the need to defend. Sorry it seems like 7th grade. So be it, I guess :ohwell:

Originally Posted by CRISTAN

As an eroded bandster ...after reading this thread over and over again, this one comment I quoted above really offends me. I can not be responsible for freaking anyone out...you are in control of your own feelings and if you freak out by what we have to say then that is your issue not mine . I'm here and I'm staying band or no band! ANd Iam sure I can speak for the other eroded bandsters here too..I know them all on a personal level, met them all in person..they are not going anywhere either!

Our eroded band sisters are here because we are friends. We've spent lots of time together over the months and years. We care about each other.

Thank you Kathy !!

Our eroded band sisters are here because we are friends.

La Madam, DeLarla, Penni, Donali and the rest of our eroded band sisters had interesting, insightful, encouraging and even inspiring things to share before, during and after their banding & unbanding.

As I heard of each erosion my first reaction was heartfelt concern and empathy for them--my second reaction was a selfish one. I thought to myself, "Oh no! Now they're going to leave us!!" And felt a fear of LOSING their wonderful contributions.

I am SO GLAD that they haven't left. They all contribute to my well-being everytime I log on.

I want to thank each comment regarding we eroded band sisters.

Im guilty of feeling panic about the erosion, but it was never due to anything the women who have gone thru it and remain strong in their commitment to their own health while staying here to support the rest of us. Can you imagine how hard it must be to see all of the excited people with bands losing weight and being thrilled about the way things are going for them? Yet these women come here and give support and great advice and encouragement to all of us. Thats just beyond awesome.

I fully agree with Kare. These are the women from whom I draw a lot of strength from. And I thank them for being so selfless.

:crazy: Oh, my God this is getting ugly!! I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but come on!!!!

First of all, let me say that although I don't even know Penni, Lisa, Michelle, Francesa, and the rest of the girls who have eroded PERSONALLY, I was moved to tears by each and every one of their experiences. I hope it never happens to me, but I am certain that eroding and having to have your band removed is a HORRIFIC EXPERIENCE AND SHOULD NOT BE TRIVIALIZED. For any of you who have insulted any of these women, let me point out that despite the fact that they are no longer banded, they all continue to remain on this board to advise and support the rest of us. To me that is invaluable, and for that they have earned my undying respect.

The fact that many of these erosions originated from a few select surgeons in Mexico is at best a very strange coincidence. But regardless of their experience, and the surgical and hospital conditions in Mexico, I don't think it can be disputed that the malpractice and protection laws are more favorable to the patient in the USA. I am also a self-pay who could have afforded to go anywhere, but being protected in the event of a complication that was obviously the fault of my surgeon was one of the reasons I chose to be banded here (knock wood).

That being said, I had to sign a 12 page document listing every single potential complication that could occur. I had to initial and write out an acknowledgement for each and every complication individually. It forced me to think long and hard about what I was getting into. But my surgeon has it in writing from me that I was willing to take the chance. Am I the only bandster (besides Pugmum and Givemethemoon) that had to do this?? I would not expect my surgeon to remove and replace my band for free if I had an erosion. I knew what I was risking when I signed up for this. But I DO expect him to respond quickly if I have a problem (knock wood AGAIN).

Insensitive doctors really steam me, and believe me, I have dealt with plenty of them (including my 150 pound male band surgeon). But there is no excuse for a doctor who avoids a patient who is suffering from complications, and that is another reason why I advocate getting banded in the states. If I had problems and my surgeon was avoiding me, I could simply drive the 45 minutes to his office, walk in and throw a screaming tantrum:D . It's a little more difficult to do this when you have to get on a plane a fly to a different country.

Thank you for the information and statistics, Dr. Ortiz. I am happy to hear that you are one of the surgeons with good continuing care and I praise you for the way you took care of Michelle when she had her complication and erosion.

As for everyone else, "can't we all just get along??" I come here for love and support. If I want insults and fighting I can just invite my family over for dinner.:target: