Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems with Constipation - prior to surgery

I know this is a personal topic BUT I have to ask in order to be prepared- It appears that I am more constipated now with drinking the Protein Shakes on my pre-op diet. I am also geting 8 glassses of Water a day as I should ...

Does anyone have solution that will benefit me both pre & post op ? normally benefiber (orange flavor with water) helps but it does not seem to be working. last night I went and picked up exlax chocolates ....?

Prior to the Band experience, I've always had problems with Constipation taking Benefiber helped somewhat. When I got reallly blocked for several days I've founf that taking one Dulcolax pill before bed made me "go" in the morning. My surgeon didn't require me to be on a pre-op diet so I have no advice there. I got banded 9 days ago and have only "gone" once, but very small amount. The receptionist at the doctor's office said it's because I'm on mostly liquids and unless I feel uncomfortable, don't worry about it. I don't feel uncomfortable, but I'm not sure I'm cinvinced that what she says is correct. I have an appointment on the 29th and will ask then or call sooner if I get uncomfortable. So my suggestion: Try Dulcolax before bed.

Don't make a habit of using laxatives, because then your body becomes dependent on them. Use them only on an "as-needed" basis.

I do benefiber in my morning coffee, and take a probiotic every day (generic store brand- those things are expensive!). It seems to help. Protein rich diets can be hard on the bowels-- we have to find a way to get in the Water and the Fiber without eating lots of carbs. It's tough.

Also, remember that you will probably just need to go less now than you used to. Less in means less out :) It is totally normal to go a while after surgery without a BM, because your diet is liquids.< /p>

When I had my consult with the gastroenterologist, I mentioned that I'd been constipated for a long time, usually going once, maybe twice a week. I had taken a laxative once a week, but read that long term use can lead to liver problems. She recommended polyethylene glycol (the ingredient in miralax), gave me a script for a 6 months supply for it. So I assumed I could stay on it. I now use the store brand of it, and take it most days. Otherwise I'd be back to being uncomfortable and going that infrequently was somewhat painful too. I'm curious if there is an underlying cause for the Constipation.< /p>

Hi! Have you tried drinking fruit juices? That sometimes can help. You can try regular strength 1/2 Water 1/2 juice or sugar free juice. Not more than 2 cups a day, though.

I had the same problem post surgery (well after the runs stopped). I have tried EVERYTHING - and tbh the best thing to resolve the situation is Benefiber (or generic alternative). You can mix it into anything and it's tasteless