Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At Home Sleep Study

So my surgeon wants me to have a sleep study done because I'm high risk for sleep apnea, and they referred me to a company called NovaSom. Has anyone had any dealings with them or any home based sleep study before?

I have never heard of doing a sleep study at home. There are a ton of wires that have to be hooked up I can't imagine it would be very accurate not having them on. I had mine done at American Sleep Medicine which I know is nationwide and their facility was comfortable as far as privacy and beds go. The sleep study was by far the worst part of all the pre-op stuff however I did find out I have sleep apnea and since I now have a cpap machine I wake up so much more refreshed and alert. Good luck!

I was offered to do my sleep study at home, through a company called American home patient and they were going to send me the equipment but I decided to go into the facility instead.

I guy in my office had one and he said it was kind of a pain

He had to go to the center afterwork to be hooked up then went home to sleep

and the next morning went back to get unhooked

but the results were inconclusive and he had to go to a sleep center

it was a pain going but mine was in the city so after work I went to dinner and a movie then checked in did the test showered the next morning at the facility then went to work

not a very stressful day at all

I don't remember the name of the company but I tried an at home study and it was a nightmare. I wound up going to the sleep center to have one and I am glad I did because they go into a more indepth study and actually read your brain waves and such. Also if you do have sleep apniea they work on your presures while your sleeping to make sure it fits you best. At least thats how mine went. Ony thing that sucked about that is sleeping in a strange place with a bunch of wires all over you. But it's only one night. My at home sleep study was supposed to be 3 nights. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hello: Per Dr's orders, I took 2 sleep apnea studies with overnight sleep disorder labs - still don't understand why or the connection with lapband surgery despite many questions. Currently sleeping badly before surgery due to mandated use of CPAP machine. Very concerned and confused. Good luck - also scheduled for August 30.

So my surgeon wants me to have a sleep study done because I'm high risk for sleep apnea, and they referred me to a company called NovaSom. Has anyone had any dealings with them or any home based sleep study before?

Hi,

I have a the CPAP machine at home. It is no big deal someone came to my home hooked everything up showed me how to work it. once every few weeks I take the card out and bring it to the sleep Dr. They then read the information. As I said no big deal.

What I would say is make sure they take your insurance as it can cost a lot. I was told I had to pay out of pocket and they were wrong 90% of it was taken care of by insurance.

Good luck

Mary

Just did my home sleep study on Tuesday. It was this little head gear with a nose cannula that you placed in your nostrils. It wasn't too bad. However, it does talk to you in the middle of the night if you do not have it in the right position. I thought it was much better than sleeping in a sleep facility :)

I feel you on that, my sleep apnea is very mild and they have my insurance paying for this machine that I refuse to use cause I can no longer sleep with it. I did for the first 3 weeks and that was back in may.

Hello: Per Dr's orders, I took 2 sleep apnea studies with overnight sleep disorder labs - still don't understand why or the connection with lapband surgery despite many questions. Currently sleeping badly before surgery due to mandated use of CPAP machine. Very concerned and confused. Good luck - also scheduled for August 30.

My dr. said they make you do the sleep apnea study because if you do have sleep apnea you have to be monitored more closely in the recovery room. That's the only thing I was told about it.