Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help at my wits end!

Hello everyone I need some advice or some guidance anything. I was banded in December 2010 things went well after the surgery then I had my first fill. After that moment I was getting stuck and vomiting. Finally the doctors have unfilled me and it has been about 4 months now and it has just gotten worse. I went to a doctor and they checked my band while I was under mediation by sticking a camera in my throat and taking a sample of my throat since my throat looked swollen and white cell count in the throat was high I believe is what the Dr. had said. Band was fine and test came back normal. Things are getting so bad I won’t eat or drink till late evening and even then I throw it all up. I am chewing my food taking small sips it does not matter. I tried all the tips nothing works, maybe once a week I can actually eat a meal without throwing it up. I am slowly losing weight and while that’s great I am at the point now where I want it out. My band Dr. says that isn’t the answer we need to find out why this is happening what if taking the band out doesn’t resolve it. Shot I weighted 336 before the surgery so there was no problem before they put it in. Solids, liquids all get stuck now, I am getting really depressed please give me advice.

Hello everyone I need some advice or some guidance anything. I was banded in December 2010 things went well after the surgery then I had my first fill. After that moment I was getting stuck and vomiting. Finally the doctors have unfilled me and it has been about 4 months now and it has just gotten worse. I went to a doctor and they checked my band while I was under mediation by sticking a camera in my throat and taking a sample of my throat since my throat looked swollen and white cell count in the throat was high I believe is what the Dr. had said. Band was fine and test came back normal. Things are getting so bad I won't eat or drink till late evening and even then I throw it all up. I am chewing my food taking small sips it does not matter. I tried all the tips nothing works, maybe once a week I can actually eat a meal without throwing it up. I am slowly losing weight and while that's great I am at the point now where I want it out. My band Dr. says that isn't the answer we need to find out why this is happening what if taking the band out doesn't resolve it. Shot I weighted 336 before the surgery so there was no problem before they put it in. Solids, liquids all get stuck now, I am getting really depressed please give me advice.

I would go to the E.R. where you had your surgery done, and have them look at it under Fluoroscopy. Without, then with the Barium Swallow. Something has to be wrong.

Are you on Pepcid Complete? I say that because its chewable, and I don't think you can swallow pills. That will help with the inflammation, and I'm sure with all this throwing up, there is some inflammation going on.

The E.R. will do the testing, and contact your DR., but you might see someone else who spots what might be wrong. But if your still throwing up, stay on Luke warm Liquids.

Good Health to you, Shirley.

Wow, it sounds like you've been through it. I realize that they did that test on you, but did they actually x-ray you? you would be amazied what that will tell them. I agree, I would go to the ER. They would at least do some more tests on you there. It sounds JUST like a slip. I got my first fill about 3 weeks ago and it about killed me until the swelling went down. I could hardly keep anything down either. Then, my body adjusted and I am doing good now. I am scared to get another fill :) Please let us know how everything goes!

Hello everyone I need some advice or some guidance anything. I was banded in December 2010 things went well after the surgery then I had my first fill. After that moment I was getting stuck and vomiting. Finally the doctors have unfilled me and it has been about 4 months now and it has just gotten worse. I went to a doctor and they checked my band while I was under mediation by sticking a camera in my throat and taking a sample of my throat since my throat looked swollen and white cell count in the throat was high I believe is what the Dr. had said. Band was fine and test came back normal. Things are getting so bad I won't eat or drink till late evening and even then I throw it all up. I am chewing my food taking small sips it does not matter. I tried all the tips nothing works, maybe once a week I can actually eat a meal without throwing it up. I am slowly losing weight and while that's great I am at the point now where I want it out. My band Dr. says that isn't the answer we need to find out why this is happening what if taking the band out doesn't resolve it. Shot I weighted 336 before the surgery so there was no problem before they put it in. Solids, liquids all get stuck now, I am getting really depressed please give me advice.

This happened to a friend of mine. They kept checking for a slip but she didn't have one... But she still kept vomiting constantly. After testing they found out she has celiac disease... Which is an allergy to gluten. Maybe Check for that? It does sound like a slip though. Im sorry you're feeling so awful. I hope they figure out what's wrong. I would definitely get a second opinion.

Thanks for the advice guys and yes the xray while drinking the chalk stuff has been done several times. They see acid reflux it slowly goes thru but they say it all looks good. The DR. that did the camera scope says I am wide open. He prescribed some acid reflux medicine which I am trying again but feel it is just stuck hanging out. I tried to eat 1 scrambled egg with some ketchup and yea the toilet ate it instead.

The facility I went to does not have it's own ER since it was strictly lap band clinic and they do the surgery there to. I may try my local ER next week when I am off from work I just feel they will not have any answers to give either. Everyone is like wait and see and I am at the point now where waiting is over. I have lost another 3 1/2 pds in 2 days which is awesome but I feel it is damaging my body. My teeth are what worry me like my worst fear come true lol.

celiac disease is very interesting and one of the symptoms I do have but then it could be the sypmtom of so many other things. I am going to see if they can check for that though at this point an answer to why would be a great thing.

Thanks again.

Make sure you go to a E.R. that has Bariatric People in it.

I had my Fluoroscope done without the chalk, and they see everything.

Keep that in mind.

Wishing you Luck, Shirley.

By all means get this further evaluation ASAP. There are a number of related issues which can increase the symptoms of an otherwise relatively 'simply' Band problem. Letting such symptoms go without in depth evaluation that provides a likely answer is not a good idea IMHO.

A great Band placement that works well 98% of the time still requires the occasional check up, especially with your handful of complaints.

I personally wouldn't rest until I *did* have satisfactory answers.

Please let us know what you find out, and don't just let this continue as you describe. Bandster Life does NOT have to be a miserable experience.

Please note that most ERs will NOT do anything for people with Lapband because they don't know how or what to do and the liability is too high.

You need to see your Dr / Surgeon.

Some bodies don't react well to devices being in them. If they've recently done a barium swallow under fluoroscopy and everything looks good then have them check for a hiatial hernia (can cause every symptom you're talking about). You may need to have your band removed, it might not work for your body - this is nothing that can be predicted.

You may also want them to double check that you've been completely unfilled. It's not uncommon for doctors and nurses to think they've hit the port and pulled everything out, but they haven't.

Thanks so much and yes all the Dr visists I have had have been thru my Lapband doc minus the two that she refered me off to for the throat scope thing. Trust me I am doing everything I can think of and all research I can to see what is causing this as no one has answers. I have throat spasms which one of the fill in docs for my doc saw once and prescribed some meds for that but they did not help. Also this med that reduces acid is not helping either. I was able to eat some chilli with a baked potatoe so yesterday was my meal of the week. That is what seems so odd to me it never fails at least once a week I can eat something and not have my throat want to throw it up. But then again the left side under my ribs hurt all night so not sure if that was cause I could eat and I felt like my heart was hurting if that even makes sense. Kinda like i could hardly breath but was breathing that happens to periodicly just never really thought about it till it happend agian.

If you have acid reflux you should not be eating chili!!!! Get online and look up food recommendations for acid reflux. I hope you get some answers very soon. It just be awful to not know what's going on.

Thanks so much for the info, my Gi doctor has prescribed some pepcid but prescription strength and suralfate. However they have not found any ulers so he's just trying anything he can think of. I also see him and the lap band doc on the 14th. If nothing is found then my lap band doc said that it can be removed. I happy at least to know that in the end it will come out. I just don't think my body likes it but there maybe a real reason this is all happening. I want to go to the hospital but scared of spending all that money just to tell me they found nothing ya know.

So I went to the hospital they took a blood sample and said my electra lights and liver are fine. They refered me to another lapband Dr. they said what can they do for me it's not an emergency. I am fustrated now at this point and just gone see if they can yank it out.

I knew of someone who was having almost the same problems as you.

She got her band and started on her fills when within a few months of being banded, she started getting stuck on everything. It only got worse and worse.

After a few unfills she had nothing in her band and she was still miserable. Sometimes she would go to the hospital to be hooked up to an IV for liquids because she couldn't even drink most days.

After tons of tests ( endoscope, upper GI, xrays etc) the doctor couldn't see anything wrong with her band. She was on meds and swollen from all the pbing vomiting etc.

Finally she got so fed up and asked for the band to be removed. When the doc took it out they found she had an infection around the band on the outside of her stomach hence why they wouldnt see it when they looked inside her stomach. It was a very long surgery as her stomach was in terrible shape ( had to slowly remove the band in parts and so on). She ended up in the hospital for about a week and even had to have a drain through her nose.

In the end she was ok but couldnt get the band again after that.

I dont mean to scare you but maybe the problem is the same as infection around the band or maybe your body is just rejecting it?

Thank you so much for the information, I am leaning towards maybe my body just don't like it. I am no professional that is for sure but that is really what I think is happening. I just don't want my stomach scared to no return do to this.