Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! Newbie...surgery on 9/29...still scared

Hi Everyone. So I am scheduled for surgery on September 29th and as the date gets closer, boy has the anxiety increased. Today I had my second appointment with a nutritionist and after leaving that I know am on the path of getting my supplements and finding Protein Shakes that I like. I am a little overwhelmed since there are so many different types and they are kind of costly. I know they say you have to just try them out, but I don't want to spend a fortune just trying all of the different products. Any suggestions on which products taste the best?

I am a teacher and am have a Thursday and Friday off from school, so am having the surgery early that Thursday. Do you think I will be able to get back to work Monday or will need more time off? I am not anticipating needing more time due to pain but possibly more to getting the liquid diet in.

All in all, I am excited for this new change, but am still on the nervous side. I think the liquid diet and the puréed food part of the diet are what I fear the most right now. It seems like a lot of work...making sure you eat the right stuff at the right time, allowing for time to eat the meals, the fear of how I will physically feel after eating.

I know this will be a huge life change and that scares me. I am sure that anyone who has made the decision to have this surgery had the same relationship or one similar with food that I do. I love it! And honestly, it is scary knowing my relationship and feelings towards food will change. Even though I have been told over and over how I will feel towards food after the surgery, it is hard to imagine that actually happening. I know these feelings are normal, but I guess I just wanted to reach out to people who were in the same situation and see how they got over this hurdle, acclimated to their new life.

Thanks for the suggestions, feedback, and help!

Emily

Emily 331, Congrats on your surgery date. Not sure about the Protein Shakes as I am still on just Clear Liquids. To answer your question about returning to work: My surgery was Friday, August 12 at 4pm. I finally started feeling halfway human this morning and was able to go into work for 3 hours, which turned out to be too much for me. I have a desk job and found that it was hard to sit for too long or stand for too long. The liquid diet was not an issue as I brought plenty of fluids with me to the office. If you work with "short" students, be careful they don't bump your incisions spots. Hope this helped.

31days postop if had mine done on thursday and went back on monday. If was still sore and had a little gas . But im 19 lbs down and having fun. Take it one day at a time. Good luck praying for you

I use the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder. They are a little pricey, but most of them are. I use the vanilla, choclate, strawberry, and unflavored ones and I like all of them. I know they have alot of other flavors also. Like broth flavors I believe. I have used GNC Isopure vanilla before and I think it's terrible tasting...lol But everyone is different. Good luck with your journey! We are all here for each other.

Scott

I'm day five and slowly recovering the gas is my biggest problem and also ur body detoxing. Today is my first semi normal day I go back to work on the 22 august in child care! That scares me!!! My mum had it and was fine after two days but I'm still struggling each to their own I guess!!! Just listen your body and return to work on it's cues. U don't want that bugger to slip!!! Good luck and take care!!!

I am pre-op, but I am drinking the unjury chocolate Splendor Protein shakes in the morning. I wanted to try to find something I liked before surgery. I tried the chocolate Amplified from GNC, but thought it was terrible. I also tried the Body Fortress Super whey Shots (from Wal-mart). These were also terrible. I seem to be on the picky side when it comes to these drinks.

One nice thing about Unjury is that you can order a starter kit which comes with packets of their flavors, a shaker bottle and a thermometer. They have a chicken Soup one that can be heated, but only to 130 degrees. I didn't care for it too much, but online it gets good reviews. As far as I know, you can only purchase Unjury online - www.unjury.com. My dietician recommended this brand as it is high quality. She recommended mixing the strawberry flavor with diet lemonade. I haven't tried that yet. You can mix the unflavored or fruit flavors with drinks like Crystal Light, so that gives you a few more options.

I haven't tried Isopure yet, but that is one that I would like to try next.

My surgery will hopefully be in October, but like you, I'm nervous about the liquid diet. Also nervous about getting insurance approval. I have done everything I'm supposed to do, but they can always find a reason to say no. I will have to do liquids two weeks before surgery, then a few weeks after, as well. That alone should induce some rapid weight loss.

Congratulations on your surgery date and best of luck to you.

Thanks for all the suggestions, tips, and well wishes. Overnight, this surgery became a little less scary, knowing that I can talk with people who are going through this journey as well. Thanks again!

Hi Everyone. So I am scheduled for surgery on September 29th and as the date gets closer, boy has the anxiety increased. Today I had my second appointment with a nutritionist and after leaving that I know am on the path of getting my supplements and finding Protein shakes that I like. I am a little overwhelmed since there are so many different types and they are kind of costly. I know they say you have to just try them out, but I don't want to spend a fortune just trying all of the different products. Any suggestions on which products taste the best?

I am a teacher and am have a Thursday and Friday off from school, so am having the surgery early that Thursday. Do you think I will be able to get back to work Monday or will need more time off? I am not anticipating needing more time due to pain but possibly more to getting the liquid diet in.

All in all, I am excited for this new change, but am still on the nervous side. I think the liquid diet and the puréed food part of the diet are what I fear the most right now. It seems like a lot of work...making sure you eat the right stuff at the right time, allowing for time to eat the meals, the fear of how I will physically feel after eating.

I know this will be a huge life change and that scares me. I am sure that anyone who has made the decision to have this surgery had the same relationship or one similar with food that I do. I love it! And honestly, it is scary knowing my relationship and feelings towards food will change. Even though I have been told over and over how I will feel towards food after the surgery, it is hard to imagine that actually happening. I know these feelings are normal, but I guess I just wanted to reach out to people who were in the same situation and see how they got over this hurdle, acclimated to their new life.

Thanks for the suggestions, feedback, and help!

Emily

Hello and congrats, I like the body fortress chocolate Protein Powder. I mix it with milk, but none that I've tried so far, taste realy good, but I'm still searchin without tryin to empty my pockets. Can get very expensive.