Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Feel Like I can Eat Too Much - No Fill Yet

Hi Life is good.

I also got banded on the 10th. Do you have problems just getting your regular liquids in? I feel full all the time, I guess from the swelling, and eating broth and liquids are still making me uncomfortable. I've lost 10 pounds since surgery and have no energy and still feel uncomfortable all the time, especially at night. Eight more weeks like this and I'll be at my goal weight. HAHA. On wednesday I am supposed to start mushy foods. The thought of that makes me sick. UGHHH!

WOW.... i would never test my band like that but i have been banded since the 10th and i just started on the protien shakes this morning and i took that slow i wouldnt want to damage my banded by doing to much to early and i would not be eating at subway. or a hamber remember they reason why you got to this point in the first place this is a scary post and i would rethink what i am eating if i was you and also consult your dr fast thats crazy. take care :D

Just because you CAN eat that much, doesn't mean you should. The band is not going to stop you from overeating; that's YOUR job. You should limit your portions to 1/2 cup - 1 cup and bread should be a definite no-no. I'm concerned about your doctor not informing you on what and how much to eat, and I'm concerned that he said not to worry about losing weight????

Hi everyone, I was banded 2 1/2 weeks ago. Doctor had me start back on solid foods after 2 weeks. I worry that I can eat more than I should, and it is not causing discomfort. For example, I can eat a 6" Subway turkey sandwich on wheat bread or a hamburger with bun, and I get full but not overly full. I chew really well don't eat any sides like chips or fries. Still, isn't this too much food for one meal? If I stop halfway through and wait a while I am not full so then I finish. Luckiliy I have not been hungry at all between meals, and I am tracking calories and Protein. I have lost 2 pounds and surgeon says not to worry about losing until after my first fill, which he has scheduled for August 29, two weeks from today.

Any feedback on whether the amount of food I can eat is "normal" at this stage would be appreciated. Thank you!

Yea I agree. My doctor told me bread is a no no as well. Carbs should be at one to two meals a week. Carbs are the enemy right now. I don't know to me we all made the wrong food choices to get to the point that we need use surgery as an aide. So we can't start a new thing with old habits. I'm not saying we all can't have Subway I just feel that at this point in the game I wouldn't have it. Probably not until I dropped quite a bit of weight and when I do...no bread.

My dietician did call me today and tell me that I must increase my fluids and Protein because I am supposed to be on soft foods by the end of the week. She says I feel full because my stomach is still swollen and increasing my intake will stretch my tummy. Plus I'll get dehydrated. So it's an effort for me to eat...lol.

Man, I'm WAY too scary to even ATTEMPT to eat a sandwich, or any bread for that matter...I was able to eat the topping off of half of a half a slice of costco pizza though..lol.. and I'm still on mushies....in my fouth week!...first fill tomorrow, yea!..then back to liquids, then mushies again..oh, boy...lol..

First of all why are you eating bread at three weeks post op??? Even if the doctor said you can eat regular food after three weeks does not mean eat a sub. You should be eating mainly Protein and only 3 ounces at best. You have to control yourself because even after years and fills you can still eat as much as you want. The band does not restrict the amount of food you eat it only dims your hunger if you are lucky. Stop eating carbs I am more than sure your doctor gave you a list of foods you should and shouldnt eat and subs should be in the do not eat list until you are futher along. You are sabotoging your band before you even get started. If you are not afraid to eat bread now wait til you get a fill and you get stuck you wont eat it again for sure.

My doctor has given me a "program" of what to eat, what not to eat and how to do so. I had Clear liquids until the day after surgery, then "full liquids". Like I said I thought I had screwed something up as I wasn't really feeling anything but the dietician said fluids go right thru so tonight I did yogurt with Protein powder and some Jello powder. Incredibly yummy - NOT but it did give me a "more full" feeling - that to me is like a midabdomen pressure. Yay no peuking yet for me.

I do not even see bread on my list for ever. It is 3-4 oz of a Protein, 3-4 veggie and a carb. Eat protein first, veggie second and preferrably by carbo not hungry. A friend who had gastric bypass still cannot eat bread after 7 years - it gets stuck and I have seen it and I don't like it.

But since I started liquid Protein shakes two weeks prior to surgery and now after with just mainly fluids? I am not really hungry and I am learning to go with that feeling instead of it is Noon time to eat regardless.

This is an adventure and I hope to keep on it.

Am waiting to hear about exercise, not happily as I hate it. And my kids - 25 and 26 are into it and want to run me ragged. Lord help me. So just a slug am I.....

my surgeon said after my 3 week liquid diet he wanted me to eat as small as i can 3 times a day without being devastatingly hungry. So the pouch doesnt stretch, and your weight loss keeps up. :D

Everyone is different. Everyone heals differently. Every surgeon's plan is different. I've been banded since July 18th (no fill yet) and I've eaten subs, I usually take the top portion of the bread off though. I've dropped 30 pounds and 2 pant sizes. Don't let people that have been banded for 5 days tell you how to feel. When I was 5 days post op I couldn't even finish an 6oz Protein Shake. I was dehydrated most of the time because I couldn't even get Water down. Now that I'm healed I can eat pretty much anything, which I was told is normal but just make sure I eat slowly and don't overeat. After the first fill is when you should feel restriction and start dropping lbs again. You're eating like a normal person now. Good luck!

Thank you, I appreciate your level headed approach and support. :>)

And congrats on how well you are doing!!

Everyone is different. Everyone heals differently. Every surgeon's plan is different. I've been banded since July 18th (no fill yet) and I've eaten subs, I usually take the top portion of the bread off though. I've dropped 30 pounds and 2 pant sizes. Don't let people that have been banded for 5 days tell you how to feel. When I was 5 days post op I couldn't even finish an 6oz Protein shake. I was dehydrated most of the time because I couldn't even get Water down. Now that I'm healed I can eat pretty much anything, which I was told is normal but just make sure I eat slowly and don't overeat. After the first fill is when you should feel restriction and start dropping lbs again. You're eating like a normal person now. Good luck!