Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little Monday morning pep talk.

I have been reading a lot of negativity on the boards lately and thought I'd start a 'positive thread' for a change. I want to thank each and every member of this forum for inspiring me to take my lap band journey. I have read the good, the bad, and the ugly on this board and must have looked at the before and after pics a million times. I started exercising last week after my post op appt and discovered a strength within myself that I never thought or even dreamed I had. It has not always been a picnic, but when I find myself slipping into a negative frame of mind, I think about my reasons for doing this in the first place... my long term goals and how much I have already changed not just physically but mentally. If I wouldn't have had this surgery... I would be 23lbs heavier right now still sitting in my jammies on the couch with no plan for the day but sleeping and eating. That is no longer good enough for me. I want more... I DESERVE more and so do you. We all have the strength and drive within ourselves to make this work for us. Yeah, there is some food choices we'd rather not make, but if left to our own choices... we'd never change our habits. I am trying to teach my teen daughter that part of growing up is maturing and recognizing... that we may have to make choices in our life that are not fun, tasty, or easy but if she just sticks with it... the rewards will far out weigh any bump she may have to overcome along the way.

You never know how strong you can be... until you have to be. Everyone of us has the power within ourselves to live the life we dream of. Some of us will even make it happen. I intend to be one of them.

Have a great week everyone. Much love to all my bothers and sistas in the 'Band'. B) :welldoneclap:

Wow! Very inspiring and very well spoken! It was so great to read a positive post for once lol, as I to have noticed alot of negative posts lately. I was Banded on the 25th of July so I haven't gotten the OK from the doctor to start my routine in the gym. Just walking for now. I am down about 23 lbs since surgery so I am quite pleased. I am glad I made this decision to be banded. For all the people who may be scared of anything about the band I say it's life. What I mean is we all have to make decisions in our life that may not turn out for the best. When I made the decision to have the band I was willing to take the "risks" rather then spend the rest of my life miserable and in an early grave. If there ever comes a bump in the road from the band, I will fix that bump when I get there. For now, I couldn't be happier! Good Luck to everyone!

Scott

What a great post!

I totally agree that with commitment to change - amazing things can happen. It wasn't that long ago that I was 256 pounds and not even walking my dogs on a weekly basis! Now I am training for a triathlon on September 11 and this involves training six days a week - strength conditioning, running, biking, swimming and repeat.

So much of this journey is a positive attitude. I think sometimes people need to rely on themselves more for the willpower and strength to do what the band can't do for us. Some expect the band to do everything but I find that those people on this forum that are really successful are relying on the band as little as possible. Sure, restriction can be obtained from the band but eating healthy choices and exercising are not obtained from the band. I'm proud of all of us who have made that internal mental change to look after ourselves better and to get the lives we deserve.

I am not at goal yet but I have no doubt that I will get there. This is a good life and I want to participate in it as much as possible!

Best wishes to all!

I have been reading a lot of negativity on the boards lately and thought I'd start a 'positive thread' for a change. I want to thank each and every member of this forum for inspiring me to take my lap band journey. I have read the good, the bad, and the ugly on this board and must have looked at the before and after pics a million times. I started exercising last week after my post op appt and discovered a strength within myself that I never thought or even dreamed I had. It has not always been a picnic, but when I find myself slipping into a negative frame of mind, I think about my reasons for doing this in the first place... my long term goals and how much I have already changed not just physically but mentally. If I wouldn't have had this surgery... I would be 23lbs heavier right now still sitting in my jammies on the couch with no plan for the day but sleeping and eating. That is no longer good enough for me. I want more... I DESERVE more and so do you. We all have the strength and drive within ourselves to make this work for us. Yeah, there is some food choices we'd rather not make, but if left to our own choices... we'd never change our habits. I am trying to teach my teen daughter that part of growing up is maturing and recognizing... that we may have to make choices in our life that are not fun, tasty, or easy but if she just sticks with it... the rewards will far out weigh any bump she may have to overcome along the way.

You never know how strong you can be... until you have to be. Everyone of us has the power within ourselves to live the life we dream of. Some of us will even make it happen. I intend to be one of them.

Have a great week everyone. Much love to all my bothers and sistas in the 'Band'. B) :welldoneclap:

Thanks so much for these inspiring words. I was talking to a friend of mine this morning who also has the band. She was giving words of encouragement to me also. I think that it is very important to be able to talk to fellow lapbanders. Thanks again

Great post!!!! i have only been banded a few days (8/11) but I was given no instruction manual with this band. I have a guide on do's and don'ts but it was up to me to re educate myself on the ways of eating. How to eat, how impotant potein is, how carbs dont agree with my body, I have to learn to listen. It will be a positive jouney for me because I am set in my mind that's what I will make for myself. I have a dont quit attitude and have a bunch of high Protein low carb band friendly meals for me and when i am able to eat. Yes, it wont be all rainbows and unicorns but I am sure to be on the happiet side of the rainbow I can. I didnt go through all this to give into head signals that im hungry, i need that bread, I need just one more bite. My band is my immancipation of food and my independence of taking my life back. Im wishing eveyone the same motivation and luck on their journey!!!! Cara

Great Post thanks for the pep talk. Today is my birthday and no I might not be were I wanted to be, but I am so happy that I dont weigh what I did last year. Great words of advice and very loving. Thank you!!!!

Thank you so much LBT addict for your wonderful and inspiring post. I need it today.

Happy Birthday Lakegirl! Congrats on your weightloss too!